Public Transport Costs

Tamara HDU

I took the kids through to Adelaide zoo the other day and decided to take the train.

I find short term parking fees in the city to be expensive.

For those people who drive into the city each day and pay for parking it might be helpful to provide an idea of what it costs you?

I picked up a Metrocard price list and have scanned it to give a comparison of how much it would cost to catch a train, bus or tram.

The electrified Seaford (formerly Noarlunga) line is supposed to be back to normal...or better than it was with the new locomotives and carriages...by the end of February so this gives an idea of how much it would cost to commute into the city by train. I think that the monthly rates are good especially when you compare the cost of fuel and parking.

post-14378-0-41696800-1392852065_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

The first time we went to the Adelaide Zoo, we caught public transport. It was actually quite expensive for the family (close to $20 if i remember correctly). It also took a fair bit longer to get to the Zoo and we had to walk from the station to the Zoo.

Our last visit to the Zoo we drove and parked outside the entrance of the Zoo and we got a 3 hour park for $1.80 (Saturday morning).

It was MUCH cheaper, quicker and easier than using public transport

The part you aren't telling all of us Vegemites, is that you had to squirt A$15 worth of petrol in your car to drive into Adelaide from Flagstaff and put additional wear and tear on your car and tyres.

Add that to the $1.80 parking fee for only three hours, and it's not so much cheaper than all of you jumping on the bus on Saturday morning!

• 2 weeks later...

Bob, Look at it in another way, you have the comfort of your car, (seems like in the pic there is a child), you can leave when you want to and not have to work on a time table, it costs the same, and if you use $15 from Flagstaff to the Zoo and back I recon a new car is needed as this one is a fuel guzzler. I agree with Ronnie, public transport in SA is excessive. If the wife and I go to town and know we may have a couple of drinks over dinner then yes we take the train and the free tram in the city but under normal circumstances over a weekend nope.

I am not far from Ronnie, Blackwood, our bus transport is not reliable at any time and if it arrives it costs $4,50 for 5km to Flinders Uni.

What I love about Adelaide - there is always somebody standing at the side of the road looking hopeful/confused/impatient while they wonder where the hell the bus is. Lol.

Robbie I also learnt the hard way when we took our 3 to the Christmas pageant on the bus one year. We had to walk for miles (maybe we got off too early) and it was raining. It was about a 3 hour ordeal and cost about $30, no thanks!

It's maybe worth if for singles or couples but when there are 5 of you it's just a lot easier & cheaper to drive.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

have to argue that to the city it is definitely cheaper. We went in when we first arrived...cost us $18 for parking on a Friday evening. Think it depends where you stay. Flagstaff hill has no trains and buses are slow. PN and Seaford...much quicker on the train now it is open even if it stops every stop for now. Family of 4 if you go interpeak (9-3), return trip would be approx $10.70. You couldn't travel it for that in a car. JH6410 - since when does it cost $4.50? You must be using single trip tickets which are ridiculous. A metrocard is much cheaper and all tickets within a 2 hour window the same price. I can leave work in Marden, catch a bus to the city, on the train down to seaford, bus from the train station 2km up the road and pay $3.29 the whole trip.

I have to agree though, Public transport in Adelaide is not the greatest and there are big gaps. Depends where you live though.

The part you aren't telling all of us Vegemites, is that you had to squirt A$15 worth of petrol in your car to drive into Adelaide from Flagstaff and put additional wear and tear on your car and tyres.

Add that to the $1.80 parking fee for only three hours, and it's not so much cheaper than all of you jumping on the bus on Saturday morning!

Not really.. my car does 7-10km per litre of petrol. As we are about 17km from the Zoo, it would work out to about $6 of petrol for the trip.

Carting young kids around on public transport inst always practical.

On the same note. 3 ours at the zoo with young kids is MORE that enough time :)

• Like 1

When I worked in the city I used to get the Early bird parking, I think $9, but that's probably gone up by now. I would hate to catch the bus then train then bus in that weather to save a dollar, sorry! Yes I know cars also have running costs, of course. I think the train from PN etc sounds great though, that wasn't finished when we lived in Adl.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co

@miraclebabycaw: Yes it is a single trip price because I don't see the need for a metrocard as I no longer use public transport on a regular basis, not reliable enough. I don't work in the city so don't need to use public transport but there are free parking areas just outside of the city and with the free city tram service it's easy to do so. I did work in the city at some point and never paid for parking. All it means that you need to leave home 15mins earlier.

@Robbie, I agree, I am 12km from the Zoo and 3 hours is more than enough time at the zoo and could do it for $15 incl parking, excluding entrance fee... The difference is that I can take 4,5 or 6 people for the same price.. kids with friends...

@Bronwyn&co: You still get a $9 early bird parking in town :)

That was my $1 or R10 worth, I'm out of here!!

• Like 1

Guys I'm out of here for ever, Be careful what you post because you have 24 hours to modify / delete then it goes into the "public domain" and can be shared around the world.. (got this from the WA moderators).. Just a warning.. good chatting to all of you... The information you post under "public access rules" can be accessed by future employers as with Facebook and Twitter and could count against you if applying for a job as the HR managers look at "public access" and social media prior to interviewing a candidate (as a norm, I do) though your name may be an alias they can still track you through a variety of methods, and they do because it is public domain. Good luck in Australia and those of you still in the process of moving to Aus or going back to the RSA.......

Edited by JH6410

Guys I'm out of here for ever, Be careful what you post because you have 24 hours to modify / delete then it goes into the "public domain" and can be shared around the world.. (got this from the WA moderators).. Just a warning.. good chatting to all of you... The information you post under "public access rules" can be accessed by future employers as with Facebook and Twitter and could count against you if applying for a job as the HR managers look at "public access" and social media prior to interviewing a candidate (as a norm, I do) though your name may be an alias they can still track you through a variety of methods, and they do because it is public domain. Good luck in Australia and those of you still in the process of moving to Aus or going back to the RSA.......

Don't say anything you wouldn't say in public and you have nothing to worry about. :)

Wow . . . . now that is being cautious.

I guess if you operate sensibly, then you'd have no worries online, even if the rest of humanity can see what's written.

I think the public transport in Adelaide is a good system. It is spread out from the Adelaide Hills to the far northern and southern suburbs of Adelaide, so has a big area to cover . . . . maybe 120 kms from top to bottom.

For me personally, it's cheaper to hop on a bus from the Adelaide Hills, pay $3 each way, go 35 kms to Adelaide and do all my business.

The alternative is to pay around $15 in fuel, pay for parking or get only a one hour park (and the possibility of a fine if parking much longer).

I prefer the bus or tram or train.

Waiting at the bus stop for ages was in days gone by and was for people without smart phones. I have an App on my iPhone telling me the time a bus will come past and I meet the bus then.

No waiting for buses or trains nowadays.

Edited by Bob