No complaining about Oz

zamunda

Question

I just got back from a quick visit to RSA and Botswana and so glad i made the trip. Apart from getting to spend some time with my folks, it also made me appreciative of what Oz has to offer. Many of our friends who migrated from RSA and been in Oz for a while tends to complain a lot about Oz. To me these are petty matters when looking at the bigger picture.

The moment I landed in South Africa I was made aware that I was truly back in Africa. Firstly the lady at the pass port control was eating a fat cake and handled my pass port with her oily fingers.

Then I proceeded to the transit lounge at ORT to get my connecting flight to Gaborone (SAA). The flight was to take off at 6pm. At 5.30pm we get told that there is a delay and the flight will take off at 7pm. There was a total of 15 passengers and due to the delay three passengers (German tourists) decided to go upstairs to get a bite to eat. Meanwhile, at 5.50pm an official arrives and tells us that the "flight has been cancelled but if you speak to air Botswana may be they can help you as they have a flight leaving at 6.15pm". All the passengers start screaming and shouting at this official and demands that he fix the problem and not expect us to do it. He then gets our pass ports and runs to the other end of the terminal to get to AirBotswana counter with us running after him like a mad bunch of fools. Once we get to the counter, the air botswana official says that there are only nine seats available in the air craft so he will only issue nine boarding passes. so he takes the first nine pass ports and issues passes. the last three had to spend the night at ORT. SAA did offer accommodation, but that was besides the point. We then get told that the air botswana flight is about to take off and we had five minutes to get to the gate. So we rush through security and run across the terminal just in time to catch the bus taking passengers to the aircraft. Once we get to the air craft, we find that there are another seven seats empty. So where the "nine only" came from no one knows. As for the three Germans that went to get a bite to eat, thinking the flight was leaving at 7pm, God knows what happened to them because none of all this was announced over the PA system. Nor was it shown "cancelled" on the flight listing displays throughout the airport.

Apart from the above mentioned welcome, driving in both RSA and Botswana was very aggressive, hardly any smiles or welcomes when going to the shops, everything was a mission.

It was quite a sad affair watching my folks, every night, lock up fort knox before going to sleep. On top of all this security, they kept waking up for the slightest noise.

Three days of 8 hour power outages and on some days no water for an entire day.

I love Aus and thank God every day for having given us the opportunity to make the move.

• Like 7

9 answers to this question

We have been in Australia for 17 years now and each time we've been back to South Africa, we've noticed the decline in general. Sadly public amenities are almost non-existent now. Had it not been for private enterprise, there would be hardly amenities! We love our life in Australia and are grateful for the blessing we have to live in this amazing country. Society is not perfect here, but at the end of the day it's all about choice and how you take on opportunities. All the very best for the future.

• Like 1

I am in 100% agreement, I love my life in Australia, have no wish to return to RSA and it's related problems, I would rather live with Australia's.

• Like 2

My mate had his car nicked 2 days ago. The cops gave him a case number, that's it. He asked for fingerprints guys, "No sorry we don't have any kit so we haven't done that for a few months now" He gave them CCTV footage, the cops said, so what we will never find them or the car.

Like you guys, I love my Aus!

• Like 1

LOL, my son's car had petrol siphoned out of it parked (I know you are not supposed to) on the verge outside our house.

I said we should call the police and let them know just so that they know what is happening in our area.

We called and then left for church - Sunday morning.

When we arrived home from church the forensic police van was parked next to my sons car and the policeman had tried (unsuccessfully) to take fingerprints and then took DNA samples of a screwdriver left at the scene of the crime.

We did laugh about it and remember how when you got burgled in RSA you waited for ages for police to come and take fingerprints.

Very different form of policing here.

We never did hear anything more and it was probably some "P" plater or the kids across the roads who ride motorbikes who were short on petrol.

• Like 2

I agree with all the above and yes every time back makes it clear that Oz is not the shiny apple on the outside but it has a lovely inside. Some Ozzies seem rough but can be the most beautiful people on the inside. Rough diamonds they are

• Like 2

I went for new tryes on my SUV, and I got a puncture with my 2nd car on the way out, swung back, and they fixed it for free. What a cool thing.

My mate had his car nicked 2 days ago. The cops gave him a case number, that's it. He asked for fingerprints guys, "No sorry we don't have any kit so we haven't done that for a few months now" He gave them CCTV footage, the cops said, so what we will never find them or the car.

Like you guys, I love my Aus!

my brother had a break-in and they actually sent some fingerprint guys. When they left, he incidentally had to leave to for a meeting or something, and as it happened, he drove behind them and next thing he saw was the fingerprints that they took thrown out of the window

ugh...

A friend lost her best friend after someone DUI crashed into him and he died as a result.

She went to the court proceedings, and was shocked to discover that it was announced that should anyone want any evidence preserved from the scene, they would need to hire a private investigator, as that's not the police's job.

so SICK of all this cr4p.

Anyhoo. So I'm glad you had a good visit after all that, but I wish I was able to say "I'll take my aus over your sa any day" right now and not have to wait anymore.

Maybe soon. 11 days till we jet off on our LSD...

I just hope and pray it's not too late. Looking at the occupations dropping like flies off the SOL I think the day is fast approaching where we might be too late. :(

Edited by McCabes

ugh...

A friend lost her best friend after someone DUI crashed into him and he died as a result.

She went to the court proceedings, and was shocked to discover that it was announced that should anyone want any evidence preserved from the scene, they would need to hire a private investigator, as that's not the police's job.

so SICK of all this cr4p.

Anyhoo. So I'm glad you had a good visit after all that, but I wish I was able to say "I'll take my aus over your sa any day" right now and not have to wait anymore.

Maybe soon. 11 days till we jet off on our LSD...

I just hope and pray it's not too late. Looking at the occupations dropping like flies off the SOL I think the day is fast approaching where we might be too late. :(

Hang in there.

We had many anxious moments during our application processing time and then also when planning for the move. There were many times when we asked our selves if we were doing the right thing. But, looking back, we are very glad we hung in there and saw it through.