First Post

ghendriksz

Hi all,

My family and I have been living in NZ for the last seven years and we are now planning to move to OZ. We have scoped out most of the large cities and have tentatively decided on the Brisbane area. Could I please have some advice on how other ex South Africans are doing in Brisbane surrounds. Do you like it there? Are you settling in? How is the job market (I have been struggling applying from NZ) What are the people like? Where are good places to settle in the area?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gabriel

Hi Gabriel

Welcome to the forum. There are a fair few members who have crossed the ditch, hopefully those who have done, as well as those in Brisbane can offer constructive advice. I'm about 1000km from Brisbane so can't offer much, but good luck with your move.

Hi

I don't live there but have been there a few times and from the posts on the forums:

Tropical holiday destination, i would expect it to be a fantastic place to live from a beach going lifestyle, the couple of trips there have been great.

People are finding it hard to make friends up there as it seems the peeps are not as open as for example Melbourne (Possibly because Melbourne is more Expat?)

There are less jobs available unless you work in tourism or an industry that works in that environment you may find it harder to find work, there is also a bit of seasonality as they make a large portion of their income from holiday goers.

Locals could perhaps add more here

Welcome to the forum, hope you get the answers you are seeking!

I would suggest you check on www.seek.com.au for job vacancies in your field. Do them by city, and then go where the most jobs are. Lately there have been a number of people on the forum who have or are battling for jobs in the Brisbane/Gold Coast area.

Cant offer any real assistance as we are also based in Melbourne, but welcome to the Forum!

Actually, as I read the above posts, I recall an article I read that states the following..........

QUEENSLAND has consolidated its place as the nation's engine room of job creation after the latest data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics were released, according to the State Government.

Acting Treasurer John McVeigh said that 75 per cent of all the jobs created in Australia over the year to December 2013 were created in Queensland.

I suppose again that much depends on occupation http://www.news-mail.com.au/news/statistics-show-75-jobs-created-queensland/2142588/

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/2014/1/20/queensland-growing-as-economic-powerhouse

Yep, this relates to the new Gas work they are doing up there, i figure if you are in mining or associated there are some good opportunities in QLD now.

The growth figures don't compare QLD to other areas though, just increases in the last year specifically in QLD and that might be directly attributable to the new mining investment, still good news for the peeps that are there as it will be introducing more money into the local economy and that is always good for the locals, but i don't see Brisbane catching up with SYD & MELB, they just have too much of a head start.

Hey

I found work pretty quickly on the Gold Coast (healthcare), and others have not been so lucky. So i guess it depends on the job field. What field are you in?

Its a beautiful city (Brisbane and Gold Coast) and Im sure you will find areas that you love more than others. There seems to be a variety of areas depending on what you are looking for, the jobs, and the schools etc

Welcome and all the best for the process that follows!

I am a Quality Auditor in the SA Navy. Job requires me to develope, implement and audit Quality Management system. I also facilitate training of the South african Excellence model as a tool to evaluate the integrity of a Quality Management system. Also Public Service delivery presentations to teach the Navy about improveing service delivery.

i have an ISO 9001:2008 Lead Auditor qualification. 8 years work experience. 20 years work experience in the SA NAVY.