Life in the land of Oz!

BriD

Sounds absolutely super. Am about to start my second tax course to try and make my skills more local friendly and hope to look for work in the new year. Would like to actually take a bit of a right turn and branch into internal audit or forensics. It's a bit like moving here gives an opportunity for a fresh start - something completely different.

As someone who has three cats (and on waiting list for a dog), I think what you are planning is fantastic. Vets and vet nurses make such a difference, what a marvelous career choice. Best of luck to you.

That is really great! I think any kind of furthering of studies is always a good idea. Yes, definitely does make you feel like it has been such a total change you can totally right turn and do something completely different. Very liberating!

Did you bring your cats with you? You are so fortunate to have them...I miss having cats in my life...it's a total void!

• 3 weeks later...

Golly it has been a busy couple of weeks!

Firstly...just as we turned serious about putting pressure on the agents to find a tenant for the Melbourne rental - they found tenants. So YAY! That is no longer an issue...we are only paying 1 rental and it is a huge relief to not have that weighing on us.

Then, I am working my way steadily through my modules for Vet Nursing, It feels so very good to have a goal to work towards. Part of my course includes 480 work placement hours in an actual clinic, learning the practical skills. I was kinda nervous about this, I am not that flexible with free time yet...I basically have the time when kids are at school and when hubby is off shift. So it is more complicated in that way.

Anyways, about 2 weeks ago I made a couple of calls to vet clinic's nearby. One of them said they were full until next year but I could send my resume and be put on a waiting list. Another flat out said they have nothing. And then the last one I tried the chief veterinarian answered. He basically said they have no space for me, but I detected that it was not a flat out no. I chatted a bit more with him, telling him about my family and asking for ideas on who I could call. He said that I should try other places but if I did not come right to come back to him and in the meantime to send my resume to him. I did that. A few days later I was out and about and the kids were at school...I decided on the spur of the moment to pop in at his clinic to introduce myself...show my face - cos a face means more than an email or a phonecall.

He was not there, but his colleague was...a South African Vet. She was really lovely and we chatted a bit about SA and reasons for immigrating etc. I told her why I wanted to meet the senior vet. She suggested I come back later when he was there and told me she would chat to him about me.

I went back that evening, and he seemed really excited to meet me. Said that I had made a good impression on the phone and that his colleague thought I presented really well. We had a bit of a chat, discussed some things he might have been concerned about, I allayed his fears. (He thinks college students just sit around chewing gum and waiting for the day to end). It ended off on a positive note, he asked if I would be able to do more shifts in the future...would I be able to work it around my kids etc. So I was very excited at the unexpected positive reaction. He asked me to give him a week to check his rosters and see if he could fit me in.

Then yesterday...I received an offer for work placement at the other clinic who had put me on their waiting list! I was so torn...I really liked the vet I had talked to and was waiting for him to come back to me...but now here I had another offer!! I had not even been to their clinic...

I called him, he was in surgery and the South African vet was available. In the end she spoke to him while he was in surgery. I made it clear that if they were going to offer me a work placement with them I would wait for that and decline the other offer. They were very keen and the Saffa vet said, "I have been in this industry for years and I know potential when I see it"....I think that ranks as one of the best compliments I have ever received.

So today, the vet called me and offered me one shift on Fridays - PAID!!! Work placement is usually voluntary...but he is willing to pay me...I am amazed and feel so blessed. He said I could work around the times I have either school or hubby to help with the kids...and that we can start off with one shift...and see how I go. He is hoping to use me in the future for more shifts and relief work...

People...I cannot describe how much it means to me to have someone decide that I am worth hiring just based on his impression of me. I have no professional animal care experience...I am not even close to qualified yet and in the beginning I will be more of a burden than an asset while they train me....but yet they still think I am worth the trouble and the money! I am sure it won't be much...but as you all know every dollar counts!! And I was willing to do this placement for free...and here I am blessed with a rare opportunity for paid work placement. I am so very grateful to God...he truly answers prayers. I attended a church service recently where they were talking about miracles...and one thing they said was - be specific...you asking God for a miracle, so be specific. And I prayed specifically that I would be offered a placement at that vet and that it would be a paid placement (the vet had hinted at considering that during our chat). God is good! I am going in tomorrow to meet the team and have a tour of the clinic.

As a side note to this...I have been a stay-at-home mom for over 5 years now. Before becoming a mom, I had worked hard in my job at a tour operator and had been promoted all the way up to Tour Department Manager. I really thrive on challenges and enjoyed the acknowledgment of work well done. Of course as a mom...it is the most important work you will ever do...but also the most anonymous. I am sure I might get some backlash for this...but sometimes just being a mom after having a successful career can really wittle away at your confidence and self esteem. You no longer contribute to the family financially, all your daily work revolves around the demands of tiny people...and after a while you feel a bit worthless. Yes...yes...yes....I KNOW...it is a huge blessing to be able to stay home with my kids. I know it, I appreciate it and acknowledge it....BUT if you have been in my shoes you will understand the conflicting emotions that surround that. Someone asked Daniel recently "What does your Daddy do?" he replied, "he works in a factory and make walls for houses (plasterboard)"...they asked what does your mommy do, "oh...she just stays at home"...ouch.

What I would like one day is that our children can see in both their mom and dad the drive and determination and a proactive resourceful attitude. It is one of the best things South Africa and it's lifestyle gave to me...drive and determination to make it work no matter what the odds. I want my kids to see me as a woman as well as a mother...a woman with hopes and dreams, a woman with passion for the job I do / or want to do, a woman with a belief in herself and what she can do. And also a mother who loves them, who is there for them and wants to help them to also realise their dreams. I want my daughter to know that women can also be successful in the working world...I want my son to know that a woman's job is not just in the home but anywhere her mind and soul can take her.

oi...got very philosophical there...sorry...but this is a big deal for me. My pet peeve is working moms who try and make me feel guilty for missing having a job and a part of my life that is something for me. I know I have been given a gift by staying home with them...and I would never ever change that. Soon my kids will start big school and a larger proportion of my time will be "Free". I won't be sitting at home doing "nothing"...I will be rediscovering a part of myself that has been dormant and waiting for a while.

Enough of that..lol

Today my In-laws arrived for a 2 and a half week long visit. They are our first family visitors from South Africa...and it was AWESOME to see them again. And also really surreal to have them sitting in our lounge in front of us. After just chatting on Skype and phone...it just seems incredible to see them here in the flesh. I am sure that must sound really arb...but it is what it is. The kids were super excited to see them and have already had tons of great quality time with them....sooo happy :)

We planning on showing them all our favourite spots and discovering new ones together as well. I am a bit nervous to see how we all fare when they leave...I have a feeling we will really have a time of homesickness once those familiar faces are gone again. But in the meantime it is wonderful to show them the new life we have made. Really looking forward to some fun times in the next 2 weeks.

All in all life is good here in Sydney. We are happy, truly happy and have not regretted this move once. We were all ready for it and wanted it...and now here we are and we are making the most of it. Tonight I realised I needed printer cartridges and wanted to print some urgent stuff. So I went off alone at 10h30pm to the 24 Hour KMART, bought them and drove home again. Not too long ago I was petrified of driving alone at night...how life has changed.

I think I should call it a night

thanks for reading my rambling thoughts ;)

xx

• Like 12

That's so awesome Bri...

In my little "Imagine life in Aus" dream world .. I was hoping I could be stay at home mom and spend more time with my daughter but after spending so many years working and having career a love I wonder if I'll really enjoy being a full time mommy.

Love hearing your updates, they keep me motivated that with a little hard work and perseverance we can also make this new life work :)

That's so awesome Bri...

In my little "Imagine life in Aus" dream world .. I was hoping I could be stay at home mom and spend more time with my daughter but after spending so many years working and having career a love I wonder if I'll really enjoy being a full time mommy.

Love hearing your updates, they keep me motivated that with a little hard work and perseverance we can also make this new life work :)

Being a stay-at-home mom is a huge huge blessing...and if you have the chance you should take it. You will have so much more time with your daughter, and being there for everything is very special. Don't let my rant above put you off. Just like there are cons to being a working mom, there are cons to being a SAHM. It is not the easy option...it can be extremely challenging...and in the world and era we live in...I think people underestimate how important it can feel to be able to financially contribute to the household. It is a bit of a catch22 situation...because what you are contributing to your family in the time with your child etc is SO amazing...but you will have to keep reminding yourself of that. It is hard to come from a career to being a mom. Highs and lows...guess I was caught on a low the other day. You just need to be realistic going into it so you can be prepared for the feeling you may have.

Actually with the price of childcare, you ARE contributing financially to your family by staying home :)

I take my hat off to anyone who can stay at home with kids. It's a very tough job. I went back to work to have a break.

Hugs Bri - to be honest I'm not at all surprised they wanted to have you - you are just an awesome chick!

I know it's hard, but don't let Dan's comment hit you too hard - he is still so small, and in his mind you being at home automatically includes the full category of all the mom-stuff you do (which is a LOT!!!). On the bright side it's great that it is so normal for him to have you at home that he takes it as "the norm". I'm sure it can't feel great to feel you are taken for granted though :(

My mouth actually fell open when you said some working moms make you feel guilty for missing out on a career/something just for you... Let me just say that I think you have the perfect balance - you have been there for them and they have had that solid foundation with you - and now you are giving them that role model you spoke about. To me you've totally nailed it ;)

I'm truly happy for you all - I'm so glad everything is working out and you are settled and have no regrets - also happy that you are starting on your new adventure in studying and qualifying :)

Going off to try that "be specific" thing wrt praying for a miracle now... ;)

Edited by McCabes
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Bri

You mentioned that your hubby had his cv rewritten by a professional and it has made a huge difference in his job hunting efforts. Could you perhaps refer me to the person that assisted him or post the link? My hubby is a civil engineer and it is obvious that we would require his cv to be rewritten.

I would really appreciate all the help we can get in this regard.

Oh man...it has been a LOOOONG time since I wrote an update.

So...everything is going really well for us. We are happy, settled in, enjoying our new life in the land of Oz.

So far, we have only encountered friendliness here. People are so willing to help out...even complete strangers. The other day I went to the post office to get something certified. The lady told me they couldn't do it, I would need to go to a Justice of the peace. As I asked her where to find one...the man behind me said, "Oh, I am a justice of the peace...I can do it for you right now! I will just call my wife quickly to get the my number and details for certifying. I was so grateful...he saved me a lot of time. And he could have just kept quiet and not said a word...but he helped. Good people seriously.

I keep feeling like I have returned to the RSA of my childhood. Ice-cream trucks driving down the road with that loud jarring music sending kids running onto the pavements, kids riding their bikes/skateboards etc in the road, people on my street wave to us even though we have never met. The owner of the local store has plenty of time to chat, you get to know each other's names. There are garage sales and car boot sales, there are countless fairs and fetes...really well attended. I just love the feel of it...makes me feel happy :)

For the last couple of weeks/months I have been quiet on this forum...more reading than anything else. There have been some negative posts lately that frustrated me and many others. Ultimately though, what we all have to realise is that we all experience this adventure differently....some will long for "home", some will fully embrace their new home, some will feel depressed, some will feel free, some will cry a lot, and some will feel bad thinking they don't cry enough....you never know how you will experience this journey until you are living it. I guess my best offering on this is to try not to box yourself into any category beforehand...just try and go with an open mind, try and prepare yourself for a big change and run with it. As the Aussie's like to say "give it a fair go".

I have found myself really juggling things now...housework/kids/studying/volunteering/working...it is great. I feel very vibrant and positive. We are continuing to work towards our goals...things we cannot afford to do now...we have made plans to work towards doing those things in the future. We have let go the "buy a property" thing for now...it is out of our reach at the moment...however, we have come to like the pro's of renting. I have started to feel that there is a lot of advantage to just hang back a bit and get a real feel for an area before we stick our roots and commitments into a set home. We have learnt that we are not that great at keeping a garden under control, and that we need to have cats in our life. So we are planning to finish off this lease and then move to a home with a smaller more manageable garden (big enough for playing outside...but not gigantic) that will allow some feline friends :) We also may consider getting an Au Pair in the next year or so to help if I go back to work for a few days a week. So we need a 4 bedroom place. The beauty of renting is that you can move to a place that better suits your needs without the hassle of selling. So for now...we are holding off any major investments and just biding our time.

The kids are doing well. My daughter is going to be attending her orientation for Kindergarten next year at the local school. Several of her preschool friends are also going, so she is really excited. I found some second hand dresses in excellent condition for a fraction of the price of a new one...so I saved $110.00 by buying some items second hand. What I love about Oz is that most people totally agree with going the second hand route if you find the right bargain...it is not about everything being new. I love how down to earth people are here!! Very refreshing :)

My son is enjoying his preschool too. He will be staying there another year next year, I think he will quite enjoy having the school as "his school". The two schools are quite close, so we can walk him to his and then my daughter to her's. Good exercise for me and them haha.

Hubby is doing well at work. He seems to fit in well with everyone. He does say that things move very slowly there...like decisions and stuff. And he misses the creativity he used to have in his work while working for his families company. However, he is doing well there. So we shall see....for now we good.

I am loving the new direction of interest for me in Vet Nursing. I work every Friday at a vet. I so enjoy it...really challenging my mind. People are awesome and I get on well with everyone. It is so great to learn something new :)

I know this is a very happy post...and I want to assure people that I am not putting on a happy face over secret sad face...we are truly very happy right now. We are not rolling in money, but we are doing fine. We need to be careful with our money, but we have so many free lovely options that we don't feel like we are deprived at all. I truly feel like it has helped us to not just land and sit in our house and wait to feel settled. We are out there, exploring, meeting people, trying new things and with every person we meet, every new thing we try and every goal we make we feel more settled and more happy.

I still read news24 every single day, I know what is happening at least news wise there. I wish so so much that everyone we love and miss could come and join us here in Aus. I look forward to bringing my family here for a visit to show them this amazing country that we have made our home. I cannot say that I am looking forward to going back for a visit...I feel myself feeling a bit hysterical about going to RSA...I am not ready to go back for a visit yet.

We are coming to close to our 9 month anniversary here. I cannot believe how time has flown by!! We are approaching the festive season and weirdly looking forward to our first Christmas as just us 4...we have never had the opportunity to decide what we want to do with our Christmas...so this is the year for making some new traditions.

Anyways...I had better get off to bed.

Good luck to everyone on their journeys....in my opinion...this is the best decision you could make.

We have no regrets

xx

• Like 12

Hi BriD,

So nice to read an update again, I think you really capture the roller-coaster effect well in your posts and it gives me a very accurate perception of what to expect. Keep it up. Very glad to see you guys are settling well.

Good luck and blessings.

• Like 2

Thanks for updating Bri. So happy to hear things are falling into place. Really sounds like you have a new life groove. Lovely to hear how happy you are :)

• Like 1

Thank you so much for the information you sent me Bri, I'm sure that it is going to help tremendously. Hubby is thinking about going over end January to first see if he can find employment, with the rest of us planning to go over end of the first term. I'm somewhat apprehensive because my oldest child will be in grade 7 next year which means I will be moving her from final year as a senior in primary school to junior in High school. But sometimes you must just jump and hold thumbs. We have been thinking about the move for ages - got PR in April 2012 already, but there is always something standing in the way.

Anyway I enjoy reading your story.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow...already November!! This year is simply flying past!

About 2 weeks ago my daughter and I went to her first Orientation day for "Big school" for next year. She is SO excited! A completely different child from the start of this year! Well...to say I was blown away by her new school would be an understatement. They had their current kindergarteners come into the hall, each with a reader and they each sat down next to someone and read their books. Firstly...for little kiddies 5 & 6 yrs old to come into a room full of adult strangers and be able to still read is amazing! Secondly...I am sure I spent the whole book with my jaw on the ground. This tiny little girl...reading words like "Librarian" and "Computer". At first I thought she had just memorised it...but she hesitated at "Librarian" and then sounded the word out...Li-bra-ri-an. I was beyond impressed. Maybe I am just easy to please I dunno...but I never imagined that Amy might be reading by this time next year!! :o

Amy went off with all the new kindies of 2015 without even a look back...how a year has changed my little shy insecure girly...if there was nothing else but the change we have witnessed in her it would still be worth it to make this move! This has been a year of change for the kids and we have just seen them blossom here. It is so rewarding! She has 2 more transition afternoons at the school...she is so excited :ilikeit:

All still good at the Vet Clinic. Really been enjoying it. Had a moment the other day though...I found my weakness! The vet asked me to assist with a English Staffie Dog that ate a stocking! She had to give it something to make it vomit the stocking up. She asked me to watch for the stocking and grab it before he ate it again. Well...the poor dog starting retching...and SO DID I !!! The stocking came up...and I rushed to grab it with some newspaper but nearly lost my breakfast in the process! The vet look astonished...and as I put the stocking in it's newspaper down...I had a loud dry heave moment....EMBARRESSING!!! Vet looked astonished and told me to move far away and she would take care of it. She was very sweet about it...but I was horrified at my weak stomach! Thankfully I managed to keep my breakfast in...but man alive...even typing this story made me feel a bit sick again. Anyways...the best way to deal with such a moment is with humour...we all had a good laugh about my weak stomach...and I was informed of all the other weaknesses of the other staff. It was funny....but quite a moment I tell ya! haha!!

Feeling very welcomed there...even though I am a student and not officially staff, they include me in everything. I found my name on the list for the Christmas dinner and in the bucket for the secret santa. It is nice to feel so readily accepted. Lovely bunch of people.

Hubby is still doing well at work. Though I think he has now started to become a bit bored. It was bound to happen when you start in a job a couple of steps down...you are less challenged than before. He is looking into businesses to do on the side (with his company's approval of course)...so we shall see where that takes us. For now everything stays as is...we will not make any drastic moves right now. He is still learning a lot and building on his Aussie experience.

We are starting to get a bit of pressure from some friends and family to commit to a date to visit RSA again. IL's even offering to pay for our flights, because they think we won't visit because of the financial implications of it. But there is a lot to be considered...it is a long trip, so we need to plan properly. Quite honestly...I am no where near ready to go back...I want to bring family here rather to see where we are living. Gonna be an interesting year! Tip: Do not ever EVER write on Facebook that you have been bitten by the Travel Bug...you WILL get comments about coming back to RSA to visit - even though they will all know you were talking about something new and exciting. Sigh...was a dumb thing to do...but I did it...and ended up feeling frustrated and irritable at some of the responses. Anyways...you live and you learn lol.

We have found a wonderful church...been a couple of times now. Kids love the Sunday school, I have met some lovely people. Feels like home...so very happy about that :)

We are gearing up for Christmas. I do find myself wanting to compensate for the kids not having the extended family around. I guess especially in the amount of gifts...I know it seems ridiculously materialistic...and we are not basing Christmas on that at all. But in all honesty a lot of the excitement of Christmas goes hand in hand with presents. As far as presents for the family...this is such a difficult thing. I mean you wanna still give gifts to loved ones...but with the Post Office strike...and the cost of stuff...it almost seems ridiculous! So we ended up agreeing not to send any presents...them to us or us to them and that when we visit we can do a general present exchange to cover all events lol! Sounds crazy, but seems reasonable to us right now.

I did not bring any of our Christmas things from RSA in the container due to space restrictions in our first rental...so we have started from scratch. I joined several Buy/Swap/Sell Facebook pages for my area...these are AWESOME for good deals. I have bought quite a lot of stuff there for great deals and also sold stuff as well. I would recommend finding these kinds of pages in your area! You can really get good deals. I got a brand new 2 metre artificial tree for $25...and a ton of unused baubles and lights etc for another $20...and scored big time! Christmas décor sorted at a fraction of the price. Whoop whoop...who doesn't love a good deal!

On the subject of SPIDERS - we are seeing a lot more of them lately. Summer time is Spider time is seems. No Redbacks, White Tails or Funnel Webs yet....but have seen MANY Black House Spiders...big ones! They are really shy spiders...they pretty much stay in their messy webs and wait for prey to fly into their webs. However I have read that they are snacks for the White Tailed Spiders. So we made the decision to remove the Black House Spiders from areas we spend a lot of time in...like the patio. If their webs are in areas we do not frequent...we leave them there. Seems fair. I don't want to attract a more poisonous spider because of the Black House Spiders being allowed to stay.

On the subject of SNAKES - I have not seen any yet...however I have been warned numerous times about the Eastern Brown Snake...which comes in many different colours and sizes...making it a bit difficult to nail down the description. Summer is also the time for them. A colleague and her boyfriend were on a bush walk in the National Park nearby and came right up on a Brown snake. It reared up and they had to move away quick to get away. I always like to say that knowledge is power...educate yourself on what you need to look out for. I will say however that I know more about Aussie dangerous stuff that I ever did about RSA dangerous stuff lol...totally ironic!

We are heading off on our first camping trip from the 5-7 December down Jervis Bay way. We have been scraping together camping stuff and are finally ready to attempt our first non-powered camping adventure - in brown snake territory - shudder...lol. I am looking forward to it...we will be careful though (insert here - paranoid :blush: ). I am sure though that it will be wonderful :)

That's all the news I have for now!

xx

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Love your updates!! keep 'em coming :)

So nice to hear how happy you all are Bri! Sorry about the nauseating episode at the vet though... (that would have SO been me! I have a very very weak stomach!)

Take care and have an AWESOME Christmas time!

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot believe that Christmas is just around the corner now. Our first Aussie Christmas!!!

I was wondering if I would start feeling really homesick around this time of the year...you know a time that is normally spent with all the extended family etc. I did have a shaky moment...when I was putting up the Christmas tree...as I put the baubles onto the tree, I suddenly realised that for the first time in my life I did not have to bend the end of the branches over to stop my cats from taking the baubles off again. My eyes welled up with tears and I got quite choked up. I immediately felt terrible for crying about my cats and not about the actual people. But then again...I lived with my cats...they were part of my family - one should never underestimate the void your furries leave when you do not have them around anymore.

I guess that Christmas day itself will be telling...I must admit that I am looking forward to creating some new traditions with my little family - something we have not had the opportunity to do. It is very weather dependent...but I am thinking, we wake up Christmas morning...kiddies open their stockings. Then we can have breakfast and go to church. Following this, come home and open pressies. Then I was thinking we might pack a Christmassy picnic and go to our favourite beach for lunch.

One thing I did not expect myself to do...which I have totally done...is over compensate with Christmas presents for the kids. I did not intend to do it...but somehow I have been adding and adding over the last couple of weeks...and now find myself with the equivalent mound of presents for each of them just as though the whole family was present. *BLUSH* So I have told the family not to send or buy anything...I will just label gifts from other members of the family. Keeps things simple!

I must say, I have loved the Christmassy atmosphere in Sydney. Last weekend, we went into the city, checked out the GIGANTIC lego Christmas tree! Awesome! Marvelled at all the decorations! Then on Sunday night attended a Carols by Candlelight at a local sports field. It was run by one of the churches in the area. Everyone brought blankets and picnics, and there was face painting, a live nativity scene, LED candles etc. They sang carols, and then a popular kiddies singer came and wowed the kids and then a rock band with more pop like carols. And it was finished off with a beautiful fireworks display. Was such a wonderful experience, lying on our picnic blanket in the grass, singing carols and just enjoying a wonderful Christmassy evening with hundreds of other people. Was so relaxing...I felt truly content.

Of course then came Monday with the horrifying Sydney Siege...I could not keep my eyes off the TV...almost the whole of Monday and Tuesday. It was horrifying to watch and I am devastated for the loss of those 2 innocent people. To top it off, I cannot stop thinking of those 3 young kids who lost their mommy. Heart wrenchingly sad. I was so proud the way that the Australians handled it. The floral tribute is just beautiful and the concept of "I will ride with you"...that is the way people need to be. When evil individuals carry out horrendous acts claiming to speak for millions of people...it is only right that people step up and not allow innocent people who have been misrepresented to be attacked in any way shape or form. I felt proud to be part of this community that bands together in the face of such tragedy.

And then to top it off...the carnage in Pakistan...my heart physically aches for those parents. This world...it is a scary place. No matter where you go, you will find evil. It is up to you to make the best of what you have been given and find the goodness and happiness in every day.

All this stuff happening...I saw a couple of status's of South African friends that seemed to insinuate that you are not safe no matter where you go. As my hubby rightly said...we are still so much safer here in Sydney than we ever were in Joburg. And heartbreak and evil happen there daily in unacceptable levels...try to put it all into perspective.

We have now booked our tickets for our first trip back to South Africa since we left in Feb 2014. I am NOT ready. I have been having extreme vivid nightmares regularly and I feel so confused and guilty for being so reluctant to go back. I do want to see everyone...but at the same time...I so badly do not want to go back that I could almost say it outweighs the need to see everyone. That sounds so bad...but I feel like I am walking back into the lion's den. I am so confused by it...I lived there for 31 years of my life...and now I am a scared anxious person quivering in my boots. OMW...I wish it was over already!!

On a happier note, we went on our first camping weekend on the 5 - 7 Dec. Invited by our family to come with, we went to Greenpatch Beach in the Booderee National Park - Jervis Bay area. It was a bit of a touch and go about whether we would go as the weather was predicted to be bad...but we went...and it was not as bad as forecasted and we had a wonderful time. It has to be one of the most beautiful places I have been in Australia thus far. The calmest water, amazing blue turquoise sea, white sand, wildlife everywhere. It was absolutely idyllic. We set up our tent in a woodland area...and just as we finished we spotted our first wild Echidna!! Right by our tent! I was so excited!! The stormy skies made for a stunning sunset with a rainbow reflected in the crystal waters (oh so poetic...but I felt like I was in a storybook!!) As we walked back to our tent possums scampered across the path, kangaroos sat nibbling grass near us, Rosella's, Kookaburra's and Rainbow Lorikeets flew from tree to tree...it was beautiful. I cannot wait to go back there...it will for sure become a favourite for us.

Anyways...otherwise. We are crazy busy at the moment. Studying is WAY back on the back burner...will not even attempt to crack open a book until the Festive season is done. Kids had their last day at preschool for the year (Amy's absolute last). The preschool had a wonderful Christmas party and gave each kiddy a certificate and read out from it the wonderful things that they had written about each child. You could just see their little faces beaming with the kind words. I could not hold back the tears...so sweet. Their present was a little glass jar filled with slips of paper - on each one was written something nice said by one of their classmates. Lovely idea!

Work Placement for me is going very well. I am really enjoying working at the clinic...seen a lot of things and am so happy to be learning so many new things. Tomorrow is the first time EVER that I am leaving my kiddies with a babysitter...I am very nervous. I don't want to miss out on my work placement. So I got some recommendations from some people and have booked the lady to come tomorrow. Hubby will be home...but sleeping as he is on nightshift. Kids are very excited...hopefully it all goes well. This is something I am going to have to get used to...without a support network....you need to make your own. So this is me branching out!!

Finally...we have decided to bring the rest of our things over from South Africa - a second container. We have been storing most of our stuff there this year, but we needed to bring it over before a year passed due to customs etc. We did another "Sort" from afar...trying to remember what was in there. Leaving most furniture behind...just bringing our super comfy much loved lounge suite and all the other stuff...including camping stuff, books, clothes, dvd's, cd's and who knows what else. We are using Execumove again...and they are packing our container on Saturday. Last piece of the puzzle! We were asked to write a letter to Australian Customs explaining why we are bringing another container and why we did not bring it all in the beginning. They will then decide if they will charge us tax or exempt us...hopefully the latter!!!

Anyways...I had better head off to bed.

Sorry for yet another long post of ramblingness!! LOL!

xxx

• Like 6

Lovely post :) Sounds amazing!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

And so here we are on the 1st day of 2015...not far off from our anniversary for our first full year in Oz. We were fortunate enough to buy some tickets off someone for a 2 night camping spot on Cockatoo Island over New Year. They unfortunately could not go due to unforeseen circumstances and advertised to sell it on a buy/sell site. We spontaneously bought it on Sunday, went shopping for a smaller tent on Monday (4x4m site) and arrived on the Island on Tuesday!

It was a really wonderful way to see in the New Year. The atmosphere was so great...you had some areas with mega parties going on and then the crowd of people all chilling on the water's edge, waiting to see the fireworks show. We positioned ourselves with our 2 camping chairs, kids sleep mats and pillows...and we had 2 kiddies sleeping at our feet amongst all these noises, people etc who woke up for the fireworks and went back to sleep. It was such a lovely relaxing way to see in the New Year. We could see the Harbour Bridge in the background, but the best of all was the fireworks from a barge right in front of the island. I have never seen any like it...it was extraordinary!

And that wraps up a wonderful adventurous year for us. A whole new world...a whole new life. Christmas we just stayed home...and it was SO relaxing. My pork took longer to cook than expected...but there was no stress about later than expected lunch...it was just the 4 of us and we just rolled with it. It was wonderful! On Boxing day we went to the Royal National Park, hired a row boat and rowed down a beautiful river. We spent the morning swimming and snacking...it was idyllic. One of those moments that you try to imprint on your mind and absorb because it was so wonderful.

We have another exciting year ahead, hubby is starting his own business (He will continue to work, and run his business on his off days), and I have been given more shifts at my work. Amy is starting Kindy this year and Dan is in his last year of Pre-school. We are expecting a lot of visitors from RSA this year...a lot of my family. First in is my brother in March...so excited to show him our home. Then in late March a trip back to RSA...starting to look forward to seeing people again and catching up.

I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year...may all your hopes and dreams become a reality for you. And if you are making the move this year...look to it as the adventure of a lifetime...because it really is. It is all about how you approach it...don't look back look forward! It's so worth it!

xx

• Like 5

Ah, I have always wanted to stay on Cockatoo Island, must put it on my ever expanding list. I just bought an annual NSW national parks pass for our car, so anticipate lots of impromtu camping this year. How much was the Island tickets?

• Like 1

I think the 2 night camping was going for $440 for a 4x4m camp site (no power). We got a bargain for $340. I think these are NYE prices though. So normal days shouldn't be that much I would imagine.

We also have an annual pass for the parks. .. Best thing ever! We have used it alot!

Booderee Park looks like such a super find. Animals and birds galore - in such an amazing setting. Beautiful! :)

Edited by mistermoose
  • Like 1