We're here!

MandyW

Hey fellow Canberrans!

Just wanted to say hi and let everyone know we are finally here. Arrived on Wed 29 Jan in the hectic heat! Phew this place has been cooking the last few days!

We're getting settled and managing to get things done. This week will be dedicated to finding a rental and buying a car. Then at least we can get our kids into school and then start looking for work ourselves.

Just wanted to check, did most of you use employment agencies or did you simply try going to companies directly for work?

Any other tips welcome too :-)

Thanks to everyone for all your advice and tips over the past year!

• Like 2

Hi Mandy - you landed just 2 months after us! Good luck with everything you still have to do. Let me know if I can help in any way :)

and enjoy Canberra :)

Welcome to Canberra Mandy and family

Wishing you all the very best settling into your new home and new country.

Welcome

You guys need to organise one of the Canberra Coffee Club mornings so you can meet all the other people in Canberra.......networking is a great way to find work, I would just hit the agencies, the companies, the websites.

Welcome MandyW!

Try out your local newspapers for jobs as well! Some companies don't advertise on the internet. That's where I found my job.

Good luck! :-)

Welcome in Australia Mandy!! Sure everything will fall into place asap. Good luck with getting settled :)

Thanks guys! So fsr so good. Managed to buy a car. And we've survived the house hunting and inspections. Applied for 3

Places and hope to hear soon so we can vet kids into school. Then we'll focus on the job hunting.

@ AndreaL, they're alreqdy organising another get together so hope to meet you guys there.

• 1 month later...

And so we are no longer in Canberra. Glenn and I battled to find work, and our immigration officer gave us permission to leave. Anyway, it was all quite rushed as our container had arrived in Sydney, and we needed to get settled before it got sent to the wrong place!

So we moved to Caloundra on the Sunshine Coast. We are loving it. We've managed to find a house to rent and our furniture arrives next week. Our kids are once again settled in schools and absolutely loving them. My husband and I have also had a few job interviews, so things are looking up.

I am sorry we didn't even get to meet all of you fellow Canberrans. You helped so much with information and support during our application process and were so willing to help when we landed. I almost feel guilty about leaving. Had it not been for a tough job market, I'm sure we would have enjoyed living there.

thanks again for everything, and good luck to all the newbies!

It is possible to request to be relieved from your State sponsorship. State sponsorship 190 provides you with PR - nowhere does it say on your visa that you are compelled to stay in that particular state - it is more like a gentle mans agreement even though you would have signed a document saying you intend to stay in the nominated State for a minimum of 2 years prior to application being processed. This is the 190 visa - as far as I understand the 489 visa (regional sponsored) does state the details / terms on the visa as it is not PR until applying after 4 years.

HOWEVER it wouldn't be ethical to just up and move which is why people request being relieved from their 'state' due to unavailable jobs or better family support else where. I have read that people are afraid that this would affect their citizen application but am assured it won't as it is 2 total different departments. Friends of mine have done the same thing after struggling for months to find jobs in their nominated State, they both applied for jobs elsewhere and requested to move.

Good luck in settling in ManyW ;)

Yip, you're right 1982. It would be unethical to just up and leave. We have it confirmed in writing that we have been given permission to leave and that it will not effect our citizenship in the future in any way.

We defintely wanted to be sure we were doing everything right.

Yes - you guys did it the right way and good for you! I was wanting to explain to Crisplet that it is possible. :ilikeit:

Hi Mandy,

If you don't mind me asking, which job market were you targeting as we also have Canberra SS? I am very concerned about job prospects in Canberra, especially for my husband who is more in the technical field and it appears that the majority of jobs there are admin related (I could be wrong). Another question, do you physically have to be there for a certain period of time and provide proof of your inability to find work?

@Ericadslv - my husband is in sales and customer service and I am a beauty therapist. I could find some work, but could not work the hours they wanted me to as we have a 4yr old daughter. She was in pre-school only a few days a week, but they did not offer long day care, which then further limited my options.

I think each case will be individual and it may even depend on who you deal with. We went through our immigration agent in South Africa. We were not asked to prove anything but did let them know what we had been doing. They never stipulated any time frame to us, so you will need to decide if or when you approach them. It may even depend on your line of work.

sorry I can't be more specific, but good luck. I hope you enjoy it and find something soon.

Welcome to the Sunny Coast! Look us up if you decide to explore the North Coast. We live South of Noosa.

We are so blessed to call this paradise "home"! :ilikeit:

Wow you guys don't mess around. Enjoy the Sunny Coast, it's really great up there. I hope you find jobs soon.

Thanks Mandy. Appreciate the response and best wishes to you and your family.