Mamphela Ramphele is the DA presidential candidate!

McCabes

What I find amazing is that this little Vegas style wham bam marriage/divorce thing even made it. These 2 have been courting one another forever. I love the little puckered lips on the press photo, priceless. In the end it will be the DA that gets the body blow. until the race card gets put away though, there can never be an equal footing to play in politics. After another 10 years, the ANC will just say, give us another 20 years, and so forth. If you go back and read Bob's statements, he said the same, as did Amin, Santos, etc.

For me even if I lift this all off of the SA landscape, there is still one glaring problem: tax. There is simply not enough to go around. Also, by creating a welfare state, the current guys make it almost impossible to get away from giving grants. Combine that with the current account problem and soaring labour costs, and things get interesting fast.

I just pray for the poor people left there, who cannot get out. The current guys have a stranglehold on the control of the State, and are not about to give it up. The Zulus have an old saying, "When the elephants fight, its the grass that gets hurt"

@SuferMan, unfortunately for him the ANC's constitution dictates that the president of the ANC shall be the presidential candidate in an election. Will be interesting to see how he gets arround this all.

Control over the South African media has already begun, they are unofficially banned from publishing anything slanderous about Showerhead and his highly polished cromies.

@McCabes, didn't necessarily agree with what the DA was trying to do with this whole thing but I certainly understand and it could have been a very good thing for politics in South Africa. It is very disappointing that the people who call themselves leaders act like they have no responsibility for their actions. I just find this whole this laughable to a certain degree. Almost like a very badly aucustrated plot to overthrow a political party.

well, I do have to wonder, as Zille said, of COURSE Ramphele would have to join the DA to be their candidate - how else could she be the DA's candidate??? So I'm also wondering how smart Ramphele is really, or what she thought was going to happen.

Seems like a donor has now made things interesting, saying they will fund Agang, but only if they merge with the DA. Someone saw the potential and wants it back, it seems. Will be interesting to see if Agang accepts, as it seems that otherwise they simply won't have the funding to continue?

Anyway... regardless of everything, we have 3.5 weeks till we leave for our LSD, and I am praying like crazy that it is awesome and wonderful, and can help my hubby decide that SA just isn't good enough, not for us, not for our kids.

I live in hope...

The current guys have a stranglehold on the control of the State, and are not about to give it up. The Zulus have an old saying, "When the elephants fight, its the grass that gets hurt"

In a Democracy, the grass get to choose their elephants at election time. Tragically, at election time in a DUMBocracy, the grass say stuff like, "Yes, I have :censored: for brains!", "Haha, I don't know my thumb from my bum!" and "How I love being covered head to toe in this big, fat elephant's dung..!"

Edited by HadEnoughofJuju
censored

What is true democracy? In America, like Australia, you get to choose from two major parties who spend their entire election campaign flinging elephant dung at one another like monkeys. What kind of choice is that. Do you go for the guy with the least dung on his face? Or do you choose based on how good they carry themselves when they have :censored: on their face.

Oh and their is no grass left to choose the elephants because it's too busy out striking and blowing up sub-stations.