Mamphela Ramphele is the DA presidential candidate!

McCabes

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Politics/Ramphele-to-stand-as-DAs-presidential-candidate-20140128

Finally, some good news for a change :) Hope these awesome ladies can make a difference!

• Like 1

Sorry to disagree but sheer numbers dictates the outcome. 10 ANC supporters to 1 DA supporter, no chance of winning.

• Like 1

HEOJJ... maybe. But if there was ever going to be a chance for something different, I think this is it.

ANC cannot spurt their filth about DA bringing back apartheid if their candidate is an african herself. Until now, all anyone has seen, in spite of Lindiwe's political activity, has been Zille. Now this will (literally) change the face of the DA.

Most of the time, I'm realistic to the point of pessimism. I'm willing to hope though... in spite of everything... that this might just be the start of something good.

Humans hope, it's what we do. It's what I'm doing now. It's good to have some that feels even a little tangible for a change.

You make a good point but in all this is it not about colour all over again? Makes me slightly angry that the DA can't have a white leader because it's assumed that they will bring back appartheid.

When will the ANC drop it?

• Like 1

HEOJJ... maybe. But if there was ever going to be a chance for something different, I think this is it.

ANC cannot spurt their filth about DA bringing back apartheid if their candidate is an african herself.

It's okay, you can say black ;)

Guess it's good news, hopefully they manage to get a decent chunk of the votes.

I just spent another hour looking at flights to Canberra. We have until 7 Feb to register. I really get the feeling it's now or never for South Africa's future. A bit dramatic I know...

• Like 1

Can we vote by proxy? :P

If we can then you have mine.

Helen wants what is best for the party and lets be realistic, there is no way in hell a party with a white leader is going to win an election, and to be honest I totally agree with that! Like it or not the majority of the country is black and with our history of apartheid, I think it will be many years before the majority of people would be comfortable with a white president.

That being said her appointment goes way beyond colour, she is an educated, respected women with fantastic struggle credentials and a history of caring and giving back to the community. I would be proud to have someone like that leading the party I vote for.

• Like 2

That makes me ask the question, when is this going to stop being about colour and start being about what a leader can offer it's country and voters?

As long as colour plays a part in the decision making process, true reconciliation will never happen.

• Like 1

In her case it has a lot to do with what she offers, "she is an educated, respected women with fantastic struggle credentials and a history of caring and giving back to the community"

This is a major step forward for our country (well I think so anyway). I think it will take many years and a political party that believes in unity and not dividing people before it stops being about colour, this to me is a great start.

HEOJJ - when all the systems improve enought that education is worth something and available to all - properly, and kids can live safely and think about their education without going hungry, or worrying about being carried off by the monsters that pervade society... when most kids get through school and have actually learnt most of what they have been taught, and can understand what is going on at a level where they can see how big a difference a different vote could make.

Donovan83, it's simply personal preference. I don't like "black", "white", etc... I percieve the words as forcing separation by colour, plus... the colours named are hardly accurate, it would be more accurate to say brown or pinkish-orange or orangy-brown... to be honest I find it rediculous, it's like judging people on their eye colour. African, Indian, European etc feels better to me because then it's just about where you're from. Yes, technically "white" saffers are african as well, but the perception of the majority of the population here rejects that idea... I guess in africa there just is no getting around race.

This is purely how I see things, and my opinion. I'm happy with whatever everyone feels happy using. :)

And I'm with you HEOJJ, I'm sick and tired of the race card. But with things being what they are, I think this move by Agang and the DA is a good one. :)

I also wanted to add her statement:

Acceptance to stand as the DA’s Presidential Candidate:

"I am honoured today to accept the invitation extended by the Democratic Alliance to stand as its Presidential Candidate for the 2014 elections.

I believe this decision is in the best interests of South Africa as we head into turbulent waters.

The death of Nelson Mandela has changed many things for South Africa.

It has caused us to reflect on our journey over the last 20 years, on the progress we have made, and on the opportunities utilised and lost.

South Africa has given the world wonderful icons. It has shown hope where there seemed to be none. It found leaders when journeys of hope had to be led.

Today is another astonishing moment in what we offer the people of South Africa, and once again the world.

A moment to once again glimpse the greatness that is us.

‘n Oomblik om weer eens te sien hoe groot ons is.

A place where black and white, rich and poor, rural and urban, young and old, men and women, will come together at last.

This is the South Africa we dreamed of. This is the place Madiba set out for us that we will now create.

This is not the time to talk about the ANC. You know it all: the stolen money, the broken promises, the lost jobs, the sliding rand, the corruption, filthy hospitals, schools with no books, and streets, homes and places of work that remain unsafe.

We want rather to talk about tomorrow. The day that we begin anew to refresh the promise of 1994.

We are the government-in-waiting, we are the representatives of millions of South Africans, who believe in the promise and potential of a multiparty democracy, in a state that respects all people and works to deliver public services to those in need.

This is the time to bring our country’s fantastic resources together. Not for the few but for the many, not just for insiders but for allsiders.

Good people in the ANC have reached out to us, but are scared. Good business leaders have reached out to us but are nervous. Millions want to make a different choice in this election. They say is enough is enough.

This is your government-in-waiting. I will not lead you, not lead us, nor lead South Africa on the path of conflict but of commitment - to you, to your children, to health, to high quality education and job opportunities.

In my language, Sepedi we say, “Mmage ngwana o tshwara thipa ka bogaleng.” (The mother always steps up to protect her offspring from danger.)

We are coming together to fulfill the promises of 1994 and restore our journey to the country of our dreams. Together, we are greater than the sum of our parts.

Once again South Africans are showing the world a wonderful way forward. This partnership will deliver the country of your dreams; the country of our dreams.
"

Dr Mamphela Ramphele
DA Presidential Candidate

Note to Editors: This press statement by Dr Mamphela Ramphele the DA’s Presidential Candidate was distributed at a press conference held in Cape Town today.

• Like 1

"government in waiting"... goosebumps :) love it.

I like what they're saying. It's time to put aside all the differences and just get something done that will help the man on the street, the average citizen of this country.

It is time... amen to that!

• Like 1

What no one has yet considered is how African culture will affect the chances of ANC-voting men ever voting for a woman. Is it culturally acceptable for a man to have a female chief?

If America hasn't managed it in two and a half centuries, I'm not sure we're going to pull it off in 20 years.

I'm guessing they did talk it through but Ramphele wasn't prepared for the threats that would be thrown her way by the rulling party for siding with a whitety.

• Like 2

AP reported that Mantashe said Ramphele's candidacy is "what we call 'rent a black' and 'rent a leader'".

I love the way that they ALWAYS find a way to make this about colour. From this day forth I refuse to read any more news about South African politics.

• Like 2

Very disappointed, I had so much respect for Ramphele, no idea what she is hoping to achieve by this :cry:

Here is the latest for anyone who is interested: mg.co.za/article/2014-02-02-ramphele-and-zilles-da-marriage-over

Edited by MrsJ

I don't think politicians every really think about the consequences of their actions. I bet she made the deal with Helen Zille and the DA in the morning and after the press conference got a call from some comrades (who most likely know that this could be a serious threat in the next elections) explaining to her the dire consequences of her actions should she choose to continue with the partnership. It was either that or a very elaborate move by the DA's opposition to make them look incredibility stupid and incompetent in the public eye.

What I would be interested to see now is if Shower-head runs as the presidential candidate for the ANC in the next elections, which causes an interesting dilemma for the ANC because according to the election policy a president can only serve two consecutive terms in office. If he does run the election will essentially be illegal.

http://www.southafrica.info/about/government/gov.htm#.Uu8_AFTSxvs

The President may not serve more than two five-year terms in office.

HELOJJ,

Correctly as you pointed out, He can only run for 2 terms as SA president, but he can be president for life in the ANC. LOL. Its something that err, African leaders seem to love, ruling their flock for decades, the "peepoel" have spoken. Or the "majority" rules. They lovingly watch over their minions for generations. Its almost comical to see how they justify their right to lead. Kim Jon Un I, II, II etc, Mao, Mugabe, Amin, etc

Most of these countries have control over media, or crush them regularly.

HEOJJ - guessing the secrecy bill, which being signed, limits any reporting of it being signed, will also cover the fact that Zuma has probably or will probably first change the constitution to allow himself to remain president indefinitely.

I feel so let down by what happened with this Ramphele-Zille thing. Honestly. :(

I do think that Africa is just too used to having kings who, once in power, stay in power until they die... Look at Mugabe. I think tradition built over centuries isn't going to change overnight.

Very, very disappointed, anyway. :(