Hi from Slaapstad

Splunken

Hi all. I've lurked for quite a while, but I've been using the forum more and more over the last 2 months or so. We started the whole process last March and it's been quite a relaxed experience so far. After much rattling of sabres, deep reflection and introspective karate we finally decided to give Victoria a go (the state sponsorship application is finally in!). I just wanted to say hi and thanks to all the useful comments by all you good folk out there, you've really helped us make a few decisions and helped us ask the right questions.

Edited by Splunken
  • Like 2

Hi Splunken ~ welcome to the forum, enjoy the company, it's most probably the best forum available on the web ! :ilikeit:

It seems like there are quite a lot of Capetonians joining these days !

Hi and welcome to the forum. We are also heading to Vic, so will catch you down under.

this is the best place for any questions and also for any support you might need.

Welcome to the forum! Victoria; good choice :)

We are off to Melbourne in July.

• Like 1

Welcome Splunken! I think us Capetonians should have a get-together :)

Welcome to the forum. Difficult to leave Cape Town perhaps, but once you have made up your mind then it is easier...

@DaffyDuck. Feel free to organize something!

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the SS application.

Hi Splunken

Welcome to the forum, just yell out with any questions you have :)

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to Victoria. I am biased, I looooooooooooove Melbourne :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Another victim for Melbourne... Mooowhahahahah!

Welcome! Good luck

• Like 2

Welcome Splunken!

I'm also in CPT, would be keen for a meet up if Daffy Duck wants to put it together?

Cheers

Matt

Goodness I would love to organise something, but suck at this sort of thing and am still relatively new to the forum. Not sure I even know the ins and outs of the forum tools for this? Any suggestions? I'm thinking perhaps while the weather is nice, how about an informal picnic in Kirstenbosch one Sat or Sun for those who want to rock up for a meet, greet, eat and relax together? Anyone who has organised a forum get together, please can you message me some tips on how to go about? Would appreciate it so much.

Welcome!

Shame Daffy, hope someone can help you out. I'd say name a place, give a time and date, hope they rock up ;)

• Like 2

Welcome Splunken

@Daffy, us CPTonians are taking over one by one. :-)

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum!

I'm really happy to see more and more Capetonians heading over. When we came over in 2008, I didn't know anyone else from CT who was moving. And we've only met a small handful since moving here (Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra & now Coffs Harbour).

Thanks for all the warm welcomes everyone. Exciting times ahead for sure!

It is difficult to leave Cape Town, but I got a sharp reminder last Tuesday when I saw a guy getting beaten in the face with a jagged 3/4 brick when I was cycling home past the castle. This was at 14:45 or so. There was blood everywhere and people were actually running away because the whole thing was so brutal. Very, very unpleasant.

Yoh Splunken, that's rough. I work close by there where you cycled (a bit closer to Woodstock though) and the other day two guys got in a knife fight in front of our office building entrance just after 17h00. Violence like that in public places.. Or anywhere for that matter! Such a horrible state of society. I'm really looking forward to see how Aus compares.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm really happy to see more and more Capetonians heading over. When we came over in 2008, I didn't know anyone else from CT who was moving. And we've only met a small handful since moving here (Sydney, Brisbane, Canberra & now Coffs Harbour).

I guess CapeTonians have up till recently lived the last breaths of the South African dream. Now Africa is seeping over the mountains and we're beginning to feel the 'real' South Africa down here. There was a few CTonians around the time of 2008/'09/'10, we've met up at one point, but most of them went over waaaay before us, who is still awaiting our visa. We'll be coming 'round the mountain when we come ... :ilikeit:

• Like 2

The thing is it's not "Africa" seeping over the mountain. I spend large amounts of time travelling into all sorts of places in Africa and
my awesome experiences far outweigh my shitty ones. I've generally had nothing but friendly and helpful experiences from the locals in the 15 or so countries I regularly visit in both Saharan and sub-Saharan Africa. There's just something broken about the way South Africans treat each other, the feeling of being a foreigner in your own country is very real to me.

I guess CapeTonians have up till recently lived the last breaths of the South African dream. Now Africa is seeping over the mountains and we're beginning to feel the 'real' South Africa down here. There was a few CTonians around the time of 2008/'09/'10, we've met up at one point, but most of them went over waaaay before us, who is still awaiting our visa. We'll be coming 'round the mountain when we come ... :ilikeit:

• Like 1