Cash Cards for travellers to South Africa

zoot

Question

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to take money for use in South Africa? My sister is headed back for a couple of weeks, last time she tried getting one of those cash passport things through Travelex but apparently you are not allowed to use them in South Africa so she landed up using her Oz bank card. She can do that but any other suggestions?

4 answers to this question

It is not that you are not allowed to use them in South Africa, but to my knowledge they only issue them in a few currencies. I am guessing that the fluctuation of RSA's currency is just too much for the banks. I just googled, and yes, it still appears to be limited to just a few currencies and the ZAR is not one of them.

I got my Commonwealth Travel card today. It has been loaded with Australian dollars and can be used in SA according to the bank, as long as the ATM has the mastercard or maestro logo. The cost is $3.50 per a withdrawal/payment and you must select credit account. Because I have an account and mastercard with commbank they waived the $15.00 fee. It was activated within 3 hours. It would appear to be the cheapest option, as the cash passport charge a $ fee and a % of the transaction.

My son has used the travelex cash passport in SA, just keep it in Australian dollars and it converts on the day. My daughter is off to South Africa for her first trip back in 6 and a half years (nervous Mom) and she will be using a travel card too. I buy them from the Post Office..