How to vote abroad

Kath

Is there still only one voting station in Canberra?

Yip, only at the High Commission in Canberra. We have the "right" to vote, but not the means. Just like all Saffers have the "right" to clean water, sanitation and housing....

I also notice that there isn't anywhere for Saffers in NZ to vote. Way to go ANC! So guess they don't really want us to vote then...? :glare:

• Like 2

What difference will it make in any case if we vote...

I never truly grasped the power of a single vote till two months ago when we had the local elections for mayor of Mandurah. Reece, a 21 year old rising political star and exeptional young man, lost the election by two votes. TWO VOTES!

So what difference? Who knows? Maybe, just maybe, the DA needed that one vote. I couldnt care less about RSA politics anymore, but I care about my mom and two sisters. If my vote and 100000 other Aus expats voted, and 500 000 ?? (Saffers in rest of world) it might be a swing, they need.

• Like 2

I never truly grasped the power of a single vote till two months ago when we had the local elections for mayor of Mandurah. Reece, a 21 year old rising political star and exeptional young man, lost the election by two votes. TWO VOTES!

So what difference? Who knows? Maybe, just maybe, the DA needed that one vote. I couldnt care less about RSA politics anymore, but I care about my mom and two sisters. If my vote and 100000 other Aus expats voted, and 500 000 ?? (Saffers in rest of world) it might be a swing, they need.

I agree with you - if there is no corruption involved then every vote would truly make a difference. Unfortunately the "counting" of the votes in SA can not be trusted :whome: All I'm saying is, why go through all the trouble of going to vote when you are abroad if it wouldn't "count" in any case... Hulle pas dit aan nes dit hulle pas :blush:

Thanks! We arrive in Melbourne on the 4th Feb...so one of our first things to do there will be to register to vote before the 7th Feb deadline.

Thanks! We arrive in Melbourne on the 4th Feb...so one of our first things to do there will be to register to vote before the 7th Feb deadline.

and then you going to pay for a flight to Canberra to actually vote? Cause Canberra is the only the place where you can vote.

and then you going to pay for a flight to Canberra to actually vote? Cause Canberra is the only the place where you can vote.

Hello Jordy

As far as I am aware, that's not finalised and it may change . Check out the facebook link https://www.facebook.com/VoteHomeSA for updates. Handy site. I for one am going to try and vote if there's a high commission where this is allowed - will also encourage my husband and daughter.

Hubby and I discussed it and we may do that. Obviously depending on the circumstances at the time. Even thought of a road trip. We have not been there. .. might be a nice excuse to see another city. Elections only happen once every 5 odd years. .. so we will do our best to contribute to the future of our loved ones back home Edited by BriD
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also keen to fly there but it's only the one day we get to vote, right? And that date is not yet publicised. I just wonder if flights will be full, I wonder how many will make the effort to fly there.

Road trip for us, and a visit to the places we don't visit when driving through.

BriD you are eligible to vote if registered in South Africa. As far as I can work out you don't have to reregister. Let me know if I have that wrong anyone.

Yip done that . Thanks for the reminder on the id book.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Please sign this petition and pass on...we need more voting stations in Aus...we owe it to lose who remain in SA

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/ms-maite-nkoana-mashabane-we-are-calling-for-more-convenient-access-to-voting-station-for-all-south-africans-abroad