Did this make the news In Australia as well?

Eyebrow

Nope, not here in South Australia! Wonder why they did not want to be identified. We have seen other Aussies being attacked/killed in places like the USA and North Africa.

In the past 7 months we've been here, we've only seen some South African news on Oscar Pistorius's court cases and off course, Mandela's illness, passing, memorial and funeral.

South Africa doesn't feature much in Australian news - something to get used to. :whome:

After 6 years I no longer find myself going to News24 every day to keep up with events in South Africa. The news in Australia has more relevance and after 6 years I know who all the people are. I suppose it is a natural progression and South Africa is hardly mentioned even when visiting with our South African friends.

• Like 1

It was on last nights news here in Canberra.....on one of the free channels. The reporter ended by saying this marks another attack that is becoming more and more common in this violent country....something like that

Certainly not great news for South Africa. I just want to put something into perspective though, the past weekend in Australia was also not its finest either, in NSW 480 people were arrested for some form of violence.

I'm not sure why the violence was so server this past weekend but some serious soul searching is required to understand why people and especially young people are so violent between one another., what drives somebody to stamp on some bodies head.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/alcoholfuelled-violence-on-our-streets-two-nights-of-living-hell-in-nsw/story-fni0cx12-1226783631106

Im wondering the same thing Chzaau. Every night we watch the news and there is some killing or maiming going on in Sydney. I don't know if its localised to a specific part of Sydney but its reason enough for me to be glad to be in a small city...the big cities do have a lot more problems, especially the youth. This is really a worry to me

• Like 1

Certainly not great news for South Africa. I just want to put something into perspective though, the past weekend in Australia was also not its finest either, in NSW 480 people were arrested for some form of violence.

I'm not sure why the violence was so server this past weekend but some serious soul searching is required to understand why people and especially young people are so violent between one another., what drives somebody to stamp on some bodies head.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/alcoholfuelled-violence-on-our-streets-two-nights-of-living-hell-in-nsw/story-fni0cx12-1226783631106

Does this happen everywhere? Of just the inner city area?

I remember this binge drinking culture in the UK too.

What a shame. These youngsters have so much to live for, and they live in such a great place. Why do this?

I haven't seen or read about it anywhere. The following was however big news http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/20/australian-college-baseball-player-shot-oklahoma . Australians don't really care what's happening in south africa.

Agreed. The average Australian on the street, probably doesn't give a whatsits about RSA. But somewhere people in policy making positions read these things and get an overall impression of South Africa. And it is probably not the best!

Often people who have the most vested interest are the economists and investors. My OH always says: If you want to know how a country is doing read the financial pages. They study the nuances in a country and the trends in order to predict investment potential.

Donald Trump doesn't seem to have faith in South Africa

http://www.enca.com/south-africa-life/donald-trump-creates-madiba-twitterstorm