Telephonic interview tips please...

rikamarie

Hi everyone.

I have a telephonic interview Wednesday morning with a childcare centre for an early childhood teacher position.

I have googled possible questions, as well as the history and all information about the centre, so I am prepared regarding that.

I would really appreciate any other tips.

Thank you!

Rika-Marie

They always say that you should be dressed (+make up) as if it was a face to face interview. Eat a proper breakfast, lock yourself in a quiet room without kids. Actually, no kids on the property! Take some rescue remedy. Good luck.

• Like 2

You may also want to read through this, a word of caution, be careful not to be so busy trying to be Australian that you cone across as nuts.... :)

Use it to get an idea of what is the norm here then still try and be yourself

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/41673-fitting-in-with-the-australian-attitude/

• Like 2

I was once told that tips for telemarketers include always having your nails done and wearing lipstick. When you look down at your hands see them looking so pretty, it gives you self confidence which comes through in your voice. The lipstick ensures you enunciate your words more clearly and sound more professional. Fully agree with rozellem on full work dress to get you in the zone and remove kids from property if at all possible.

Holding thumbs.

• Like 1

Acknowledge that you dont know all the Australian specific things (school related, legalities in the childcare industry etc) but that you have looked up some things and/or you are willing to do some research and learn the necessaries.

They know that you wont know everything, but you should still acknowledge that you are willing to learn and adapt.

Good Luck

• Like 2

Be natural and approachable, they'll be trying to work out if you will be good with kids and a fit for the centre. I'm sure this is a fairly novel experience for them too, so just be your friendly self, take your time, don't speak too quickly as both of you may struggle with acccents.........................and GOOD LUCK

• Like 1

Good luck Rikamarie. I totally agree with MrandMrsK in that be honest and authentic about not being aware of Australian specific issues and show a willingness to learn and grow, they'll appreciate that openness. Good luck and well done on getting the Interview!

• Like 1

Thanks so very much for all the advice. I've been preparing today and reading up as much as I can. Crossing my fingers all will go well and that my tongue doesn't twist.

Consider having your interview on speaker phone - will free up your hands so that you can make notes and also sort through your own notes.

Also have a list of well-thought out questions written down so that you can remember to ask these.

Have a glass of water handy in case you get nervous.

Speak clearly and not too fast - our accent isn't the easiest to follow. If you find the interviewer is speaking to quickly or you battle to understand their accent, ask them to please speak slower (otherwise you will be asking them to repeat everything).

Smile when you talk - it will come through in your voice

Lots of deep deep breaths if you're nervous

And if you're really stumped and don't know what to say, (akward silences), have some questions handy that will 'bale' you out or give you more time to get yourself more relaxed.

Listen really well to the questions and take your time; don't rush.

Good luck Rikamarie - it sounds like you're a very bubbly person and a well-versed teacher; am sure you will ace the interview :)

• Like 4

Nothing else to add, other than - just ace it. :)

Good luck!

• Like 1

Good luck Rikamarie - please let us know how it went. Im sure you will do fine!

• Like 1

Good luck :ilikeit: The are quite big on playbased education in the early childhood centres.

Let us know how it goes :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Hi everyone! The interview was quite grueling I must admit. It started with general questions and then went on to very specific questions. I could answer every question. It was 40 minutes long.

I feel very confident. The lady said she'll let me know if I get a 2nd interview. They are still conducting more interviews. 2nd interview might also be over the phone, but hopefully in person.

• Like 3

Wonderful

Yes, interviews can be quite long, and use of specific questions or scenarios is quite common, as is selection criteria......that way you get an even canvas over which to compare candidates.

At the very least you have just survived your first Australian interview..............well done :)

• Like 1

Wonderful

Yes, interviews can be quite long, and use of specific questions or scenarios is quite common, as is selection criteria......that way you get an even canvas over which to compare candidates.

At the very least you have just survived your first Australian interview..............well done :)

Thank you. I am just wondering what the 2nd interview will hold, if the 1st interview was so grueling.. :blink: But I won't be stressed. I can do it!! Just crossing all my fingers at this stage for that 2nd interview. Thanks for the support!

I think the 2nd one might be easier - the 1st was to test your knowledge. I would guess the second will be to get to know you better and see if you will fit in the workplace. Hope you get it. :ilikeit:

• Like 1

I think the 2nd one might be easier - the 1st was to test your knowledge. I would guess the second will be to get to know you better and see if you will fit in the workplace. Hope you get it. :ilikeit:

I hope so! Thank you!

Hopefully will hear back this week. Crossing all my fingers and toes! Will keep you posted

Received an email today to say that they will contact me within the next few days regarding the position. Hopefully good news!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi rikamarie, just curious as to how your interview went and if you got the job?

• 3 weeks later...

Got the call this morning for a telephonic interview on 4 Feb. I've been told in the past that I come across well in interviews (that is in SA, not necessarily Aus), but not so sure of telephonic interviews. Have never done one and how do you 'read' you interviewers if you can't see them?

• Like 1

Got the call this morning for a telephonic interview on 4 Feb. I've been told in the past that I come across well in interviews (that is in SA, not necessarily Aus), but not so sure of telephonic interviews. Have never done one and how do you 'read' you interviewers if you can't see them?

My advice from my experience would be to read as much as you can about the company, its values and mission etc. Then make notes to yourself in big handwriting so that you can easily read it while talking on the phone. Make sure you understand the question 100%. If not, then ask. What I did was I sometimes repeated the question to make sure for e.g. Just to make sure your asking about health and safety?

Good luck

My advice from my experience would be to read as much as you can about the company, its values and mission etc. Then make notes to yourself in big handwriting so that you can easily read it while talking on the phone. Make sure you understand the question 100%. If not, then ask. What I did was I sometimes repeated the question to make sure for e.g. Just to make sure your asking about health and safety?

Good luck

So did you get the job? :)