Leaving SA in 13 days! EEEK...it's all happening so quickly!

JessieRyan

Hi all!

I've recently become a member of this Forum and it's been helpful reading up on everyone's questions and seeing the concerns that are shared throughout.

Here's a quick background on us:

Ryan's mom was born in Australia and is therefore a citizen. She went through the process of applying for citizenship for her kids. Ryan has been a citizen for a number of years and only recently have we decided to make the move. We both got married in Jan 2013 and I applied for my spousal visa not long afterwards. With thousands of rands spent in the process and us having to supply all kinds of things to prove that we were a legitimate couple, my visa came through about 3 weeks later. Ryan's folks, brother and sister will soon be following us to Brisbane in 2014. It helps knowing that we will have a support system.

We arrive on the morning of the 31st December. We decided to enjoy celebrating the New Year in our new country. We booked 1 weeks accommodation at a Kangaroo Point Holiday Apartment. We will be needing to find a rental apartment/flat within that week as well as make a visit to Centrelink. A fully furnished place is what we are after as the few pieces of furniture that we do own will only be arriving with Ryan's folks in maybe 6 months time. We've seen the prices of fully furnished apartments and know that they aren't exactly cheap and will therefore need to find any jobs even part time work to keep us going. We weren't fortunate enough to secure jobs so we will therefore be job hunting the moment we arrive. At the moment we live in a tiny granny flat so this type of residence suits us perfectly.

Ryan is a commerical helicopter pilot and I am a medical secretary. We've sent our CV's out to numerous companies. We were fortunate enough to get a few responses but none that were promising. We figure visiting different companies once we arrive might be better. Any suggestions on that?

Should we try and open up a bank account from this side or would it be better to do that on arrival? If so, what are good banks to use? We are hoping to find an 'fnb' sorta bank on that side.

We plan to hire a car for the first week to look for jobs, flats and suss out the area. We have our international drivers licenses sorted.

We are both nervous and excited too. It's a plus being young and not having the worry of sorting out schooling for kids. I take my hat off to all of you who have made this move with kids.

Any advice or help in any way would be much appreciated :)

Regards,

Jess & Ryan Bothma

• Like 2

Hi

Unfortunately I can't really help as I am in tue same position as you are (we leave just after easter), however, good luck with your journey and please keep us posted.

Hi all!

I've recently become a member of this Forum and it's been helpful reading up on everyone's questions and seeing the concerns that are shared throughout.

Here's a quick background on us:

Ryan's mom was born in Australia and is therefore a citizen. She went through the process of applying for citizenship for her kids. Ryan has been a citizen for a number of years and only recently have we decided to make the move. We both got married in Jan 2013 and I applied for my spousal visa not long afterwards. With thousands of rands spent in the process and us having to supply all kinds of things to prove that we were a legitimate couple, my visa came through about 3 weeks later. Ryan's folks, brother and sister will soon be following us to Brisbane in 2014. It helps knowing that we will have a support system.

We arrive on the morning of the 31st December. We decided to enjoy celebrating the New Year in our new country. We booked 1 weeks accommodation at a Kangaroo Point Holiday Apartment. We will be needing to find a rental apartment/flat within that week as well as make a visit to Centrelink. A fully furnished place is what we are after as the few pieces of furniture that we do own will only be arriving with Ryan's folks in maybe 6 months time. We've seen the prices of fully furnished apartments and know that they aren't exactly cheap and will therefore need to find any jobs even part time work to keep us going. We weren't fortunate enough to secure jobs so we will therefore be job hunting the moment we arrive. At the moment we live in a tiny granny flat so this type of residence suits us perfectly.

Ryan is a commerical helicopter pilot and I am a medical secretary. We've sent our CV's out to numerous companies. We were fortunate enough to get a few responses but none that were promising. We figure visiting different companies once we arrive might be better. Any suggestions on that?

Should we try and open up a bank account from this side or would it be better to do that on arrival? If so, what are good banks to use? We are hoping to find an 'fnb' sorta bank on that side.

We plan to hire a car for the first week to look for jobs, flats and suss out the area. We have our international drivers licenses sorted.

We are both nervous and excited too. It's a plus being young and not having the worry of sorting out schooling for kids. I take my hat off to all of you who have made this move with kids.

Any advice or help in any way would be much appreciated :)

Regards,

Jess & Ryan Bothma

Hi RJ

Hope the fabulous people on this forum give you all the advice and help you need. 13 days and counting!

AB & MB will join you very soon.

From meeee - BellaDee (CB)

Hi Jess, welcome to the forum, I hope you find lots of answers to your questions here.

Just a word of warning, arriving on the 31st December, you are right at the start of the holiday month in Australia. The whole of Australia virtually shuts down for the month of January. Not sure if you will be able to find a furnished rental in a week, unless you are happy to pay a high price, after all, Brisbane is a holiday destination, so most of the affordable accommodation would have been booked months ago.

You can try www.stayz.com.au you may find something there. If you two are willing to share with someone, look on www.realestate.com.au or www.gumtree.com.au

I hope that everything works out for you!

• Like 1

What about looking at offering your services house sitting for that period - you never know someone may be desperately needing someone to feed pets etc.

Banks - the big 4 all offer much the same sort of service - NAB doesnt charge you a monthly account fee which may be a plus when you start off. It is easy enough to open an account from South Africa and then when you arrive you go into the bank and collect your cards etc. Often the bank people choose will be affected by things like banking with the same bank as an employer, friends/family recommendation or just like the look of their colours or logo.

Dont stress about getting a furnished unit - it is really an unnecessary expense especially at a time when you need to be saving your money. There is so much really good quality second hand furniture here that people are desperate to find a home for. A blow up mattress can do as a bed and cups, plates etc can be gotten cheaply from op shops, at garage sales or even from somewhere like KMart. A brilliant place for odds and ends is gumtree. Ir if you are into free - Freecycle (everything is free - just coordinate time and venue for pickup). You will probably also find that if you found an unfurnished rental people on the forum can assist with the essentials. Unfurnished will also give you more options.

Good luck for the big move!!

Hi Jess and Ryan

You probably will find things pretty quiet for most of January, people are on leave and schools only go back at the end of January or start of February, so many people are away until then.

I wouldn't worry about a furnished unit, hard to find and expensive, you can actually hire furniture and white goods, but you guys could get by with a mattress a TV and a fridge...........save your money and buy things from gumtree or buy/swap/sell sites on Facebook, or you might find that there will be forum members who can lend you a few items to get by.

We came with 2 kids and only had a mattress to start with, so when you do manage to get things it is quite special...........garage sales are huge here, you will find plenty of goodies to pick up.

We bought a cheapie picnic set..............you know those ones in a little backpack, that had plates, cutlery etc and used that at the start. Kmart and Big W are really cheap, you should be able to get your kitchen items for very little from there.

It probably makes sense to buy a little secondhand run about car, like a hyundai getz or something as quickly as you can, don't even worry about the international licenses, you can drive on your RSA license for 3 months and it is quick and easy to convert these days, no driving test anymore.......lucky you.

We were with FNB in RSA and are with NAB now for the past 8 years and have never had a problem and don't pay fees as long as there is a certain amount going in each month.

No advice just wanted to say welcome and wish you the very best!!!

• 4 weeks later...

What about looking at offering your services house sitting for that period - you never know someone may be desperately needing someone to feed pets etc.

Banks - the big 4 all offer much the same sort of service - NAB doesnt charge you a monthly account fee which may be a plus when you start off. It is easy enough to open an account from South Africa and then when you arrive you go into the bank and collect your cards etc. Often the bank people choose will be affected by things like banking with the same bank as an employer, friends/family recommendation or just like the look of their colours or logo.

Don't be ridiculous - I chose mine by a scientific method. I walked out of the building where my agents were, knowing I had to take the Blue Cat to Northbridge. The agency was on a corner and on every other corner ther was a bank, but I looked to the right and saw that was were the Blue Cat stopped and just past is was a Commonwealth branch. Scientific decision ......

Forgot the :)

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum! We are using CommonWealth and so far the service has been awesome. They called me from Oz to explain how the account works, what we need to do when we arrive to get our cards, etc.

@ OubaasDik, love your thinking. Have missed you and your sense of humor on the forum, hope to read more from you...

Welcome to the forum and i know by now you are now in Aussie. I hope you are finding your way out and all is okay