Nearly time to leave and feeling so very lost..

JulesM

Hi all..

Well this is the first post I'm making although I have spent months reading through everyones wonderful advice, their turmoils and ups and downs.

My husband, myself and our two boys are headed for Melbourne in January 2014. Craig (my husband) flies out on 31 December as he is one of the very fortunate who has a job to go to. The boys and I are going to follow mid to end January. I am so very excited at the prospect of our new adventure, but at the same time filled with so much sadness at what and who we leave behind, and terror as to how we go about starting our new life!

As I said, I have spent months reading through various posts which echo alot of my same thoughts, but sit here now feeling very lost at where to start.

Besides the 100 or so stresses I have at the moment, I think my biggest worry right now is how to decide on where to stay and schooling - it all just too much. Craig will be working in Southbank, and my eldest son will probably be attending a school in South Yarra. I need to find a school for my youngest son who 9. I've looked at the schools sites suggested on some threads and tried to "suss out" areas by looking at maps etc, but being here, and I myself not having seen Melbourne, cannot try and narrow down areas! I feel like a 5 year old with no clue!

I would really appreciate any help with regards to nice areas, schools etc

Also with regards to securing a place to stay when Craig lands? What do most people do on arrival - book into a hotel for a few nights? Does anyone have any suggestions of sites to look at? I saw airbnb was mentioned somewhere, but I actually checked out their Facebook page yesterday and was surprised by just how many complaints are being made with regards to them.

I take my hat off to all who make this journey - it is definately not for the faint hearted :o

Edited by JulesM
  • Like 1

Hugs!

Just wanted to say: try not to stress about schools until you are there and can look around. We are very geared this side to having kids' names down at the "right" schools and it being next to impossible to change schools or get into the better ones (my son's friends name was down at a private boys school since he was 6months old!).

This doesn't seem to be the way the Aussies work, and from what people have said, the real schooling begins late Feb/early March. So you will still have time to look around and see which school/s speak to you. They are also very geared to migrants and it sounds like they offer a great amount of support!

I was talking about this with my hubby the other day, and we reckon that when/if our time comes, we will scope out areas that are feasible in terms of work commute, then look at schools in those areas, and decide based on that. Not sure if that helps but thought I'd share my thinking...

PS plus, if you find a school isn't working, and find something better, you could always apply and change to that one. It seems not many of the schools in Melbourne are zoned (?)

• Like 1

The biiigggggggeeeeest must have, as your hubby will be working in town, is to make sure that anywhere you stay is within an easy walk of a train station, i regularly go into the city and only go by train, quick & easy, and cars in town are really painful.

My wife an I are off camping on the great ocean road from the 28th Dec to the 4th Jan, when we back i would be happy to meet up with your husband and show him around - That should give him a couple of days to get over the jet lag :P

There are a lot of pro's and cons to lots of the areas, He will really need to be here and look around to decide what you after.

Thanks so much Nev..have sent you a friend request.

I will tell definately tell Craig to get in touch with you, so will keep in contact. Its so important to make contact with people - put yourself out there so to speak, or else it can end up very a lonely life.. :)

Whereabouts are you guys based? I have thought about areas like Brighton, Bentleigh. Bentleigh East, Wheelers Hill (further out)...not sure really where to start as I said.

@McCabes Thanks for the hugs! You are very right about our society having the "gotta get into the right school" thing. I have homeschooled my boys for the past two years which has had its ups and downs..I am ready for them now to go back to school, and I think they are too actually! It didnt really pan out to be the picture of perfect happiness I thought it would be - oh well. What will be will be..

You can try www.booking.com or www.wotif.com to look for accommodation for your husband. Will he be hiring a car as it is certainly a big help in the beginning when he needs to drive to different suburbs to check if out. Although going into the city going by train is best. There are a few nice apartment buildings in the Glen Waverley area which might be a good base to start out with.

I have three kids but we live in the Outer East (Croydon Hills) so nowhere near where you are looking but please contact me if you need specific advice or even if you want to come around for a cuppa once you have landed.

• Like 1

We are renting in Heidelberg Heights, Moved here to get closer to my work and really like it, so not planning to move till they throw us out :D

We had a look at areas closer to the beach as well, but eventually decided against it as they are really busy with traffic all the time, on the odd occasion that we wanted to get down to the water getting in and out of those areas turned into a real excersize

(We looked up at the St. Kilda end - close to town - though, further out might be better, and i would be interested in having a look myself)

By the water the prices of places get a lot more expensive, however the further you move from town the cheaper it gets but the longer you will spend on a train into town, where we stay we are right on the belt of city parks, so a ton of walking trails and cycling trails, but further from the water

So it is a balancing act, try stay as close to town as possible without it getting too expensive and find an areas with some family stuff around

Go here:

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/getting-around/maps/

and check the train map, it sort of fits a map of melbourne, so the down the south east of melbourne is the frankston line & sandringham line

then go here:

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/timetables

and choose the frankston / sandringham line

You can see that a train leaving frankston at 7:25 gets into finders station, The one craig will get off at, at at 8:20, so an hour on the train each way. personally i think 30ish min is ok, more than that and traveling takes too much of my day

If you zoom in on Google maps you can see where the train lines run, some of the areas you mentioned are no where near a train line so i would cross those off the list, driving into town would be a killer, but when Craig is here we will take a few trips around on the train so he sees how it all works

Edited by Nev
  • Like 1

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Have to agree with Nev - big bonus to be within walking distance of a train station.

As far as housing and schools are concerned, a lot depends on your budget and also on whether you are looking at Public or Private schools, as some top Public schools are zoned. If going Private, you have more flexibility.

When doing our research on potential suburbs, we performed two main (but independent) bits of research. One was to identify where the "clusters" of good public schools seem to be situated. We found it very interesting how the "good" schools tended to be clustered together in certain LGA'S.

The other main task was to to identify where the "clusters" of LGA's (similar to municipalities) and suburbs within those LGA's , with low serious crime seem to be situated. (We looked at crime stats on all levels, right from the "Region" level, then "Division" Level, then "LGA" level, then "Suburb" level) . We again found it very interesting how the "safer" areas again tended to be clustered together. This was quite a big exercise, but helped eliminate most of the areas that crime stats showed were "less safe". Even in the "better" LGA's, there will always be some suburbs that are best avoided.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?document_id=782

We then looked to see where these two key aspects overlapped, and used this to shortlist a handful of suburbs and Public schools for further investigation. Made it much easier to only have to focus on, research and visit a few suburbs.

Being fairly close to the train station (or at least public transport, so including busses - still work well, but not quite as reliable as the train as they also have to contend with the normal traffic volume on the roards) was our other requirement, so even though we live a bit further out, you can still get to the CBD fairly quickly.

We ended up renting in Glen Waverley (older area - part of Monash LGA). Both our current Public primary as well as our preferred Public secondary schools are strictly zoned, so we only considered a rental that fell within the zoning boundaries for both these schools.

Wheelers Hill is a lovely area (stayed there in furnished accomodation for a few weeks after we arrived), but unfortunately it is not close to train station, so we had to remove it from our list.

Edited by Eagle101

Very interesting stats,

Here are a few of the more common areas looking at the stats for 12/13, these are per 100k people so make allowance for bigger or smaller areas

The easiest way to get to the numbers is to google the area like "Heidelberg Melbourne" then check the wiki page that is at the top of the results for the city name ... such as Banyule, then look in the doc for that name

Person Crime Property Crime

Victoria Average 1026 4640

East Average 849 3550

Heidelberg 812 3259 North east

Glen Waverly 510 3643 East

Point Cook 823 4776 South West

Packenham 1007 4101 Far East

Berwick 1003 3484 Far East

Frankston 1439 5758 South West

Werribee 823 4776 South East

Edited by Nev

Can't give you advice on the schools or areas - just want to say welcome to the forum and good luck with your journey :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum and good luck with everything! So So close!

We are also moving to Melbourne and will get there early Feb. So I do share the same concerns about schools etc. But since it is out of my control right now I have tried not to worry about it and just deal with it when we get there.

Thinking of you! It is not an easy move to make.

:hug:

@Sibella. Thanks so much for the info, will have a look at the sites and places you suggested. Would be lovely to meet up with you once we get over there :hug:

@Eagle101 Wow you certainly did your homework! I seem to barely have enough wits about me at the moment to try and think straight! We shall delve through what you mentioned and see what we can come up with.

Thanks for the extra info Nev, much appreciated.

Thank you for the welcome Lynnie xx

@BriD Yeah I think we all share the concern of wanting to give and do the best for our kids, then stress the hell out of ourselves while trying to do it blind from this side! :cry: I hope your move across goes smoothly, and maybe we can meet up at some point and all laugh about our stresses!

Hi JulesM, we are planning on renting a furnished house/apartment, you can get those for a few weeks up to 3 months lease or 6 months lease. Will work out much cheaper than living in a hotel. and it will also give you time to look around for another rental. I don't know about VIC but I found quite a few places in South Australia/Adelaide. They rent out specifically to people moving to or working in Oz.

Thanks nicknel..do you have a specific site/agent you looking through? When are you planning on moving over?

Let's make that a definate coffee date. Will confirm dates when we both there. Always good to have someone who understands. :)

• Like 1

Plus...we must have something in common...our hubby's are both called Craig :ilikeit: Good choice! lol! ;)

• Like 1

Hi JulesM we are planning on booking that plane tickets as soon as we have our Visas, agent said we can expect to have it between March - April.

Here are the websites I am looking on:

www.margaritasplace.com.au

http://properties.mitula.com.au/for-rent-houses-furnished-south-australia

"Plus...we must have something in common...our hubby's are both called Craig :ilikeit: Good choice! lol! ;)"

@BriD..hahahaha, brilliant xxx

Thanks for that info nicknel, I will go have a look