Flight bookings from SA

TeamRF

Hey guys

We would like to leave anytime from the 20th Jan to 1st Feb 2014 and I have been quoted from my travel agent.

I tried IOM by phone and nobody phoned back.

Any other options you guys could recommend for flight bookings...we are wanting direct to Sydney!

Thanks

Team RF

You can email them at southafricaoperations@iom.int

or call Tumi Rabothata 012 342 2789 Ext 232

trabothata@iom.int

Hi,

E-mail Tumi. They responded to my e-mails either the same day or the next.

Just booked my ticket last week.

Good luck

Thanks so much guys.

I emailed Tumi and she replied the next day requesting our passport copies etc. so looking good :)

IOM was by far the cheapest option when we left last feb. Email tumi she is quite good at getting back to you

Hi TeamRF

IOM is very cost effective and the extra baggage allowance is great. Another option is go to the Emirates website (Google it) and you can book directly. These flights were the cheapest quote we got but then you lose the extra baggage allowance. I have flown Emirates a few times and been happy.

worth a look

Thanks guys...I have mailed Tumi and sent through all the documentation she requested. Holding thumbs for a good deal. Will let you know :)

Let us know what she quote you please. We are also wanting to fly the 24th of Jan next year, but still waiting for visa so Tumi cannot give me a quote as yet. Also to Sydney, how many people in you family?

Hi Marilise

Will let you know as soon as I get the quote. It is just my husband and I going and we now want to fly the 31st jan ideally :)

Apparently qantas discount will be available next year from discovery though cutting it a bit fine for us methinks!

We are waiting for a second quote on different dates. Will keep posted.

First lot in mid April were quoted at R8900 each.

Hi,

I called IOM this morning and unfortunatly Tumi is out of the office until mid Jan. If anyone else has any other contact details for an agent at IOM please could you post them.

I received an out of office reply from Tumi, to send all emails to the following email address:

mrfpretoriaoperations@iom.int

Got out quote from IOM, no seats on the 24th of Jan or 1st of Feb. Ticket price for the 31st of Jan is R11500. Requested new quotes for few alternative dates and then make the final decision.

I recieved 2 quotes for IOM; For the 15th of April we were quoted R8900 and then for the 22nd we were quoted R10500. That is a major difference. I have emailed Gloria back and asked for a better quote as we are flexible on dates.

All the dates that we want to fly is R11500. So I contacted Flight Centre and got a quote for R8262 per person on Etihad Air, leaving Jan 26. Unfortunately there is 1 stop over of 2h25 in Abu Dabi and we can only take 30kg luggage plus 7kg hand luggage. Well for a saving of R13 000 I am willing to forfeit 40kg in total. IOM not always cheapest it seems.

We booked and paid for our tickers today. We leave on my birthday.

We going two weeks later but R4000 cheaper.

Thanks guys...I booked with IOM and happy! We need to go direct as I need to start work there on the 5th Feb so we were happy to pay R11500 each which really was the cheapest. I got quotes from 5 other agents as well with the cheapest being R13000 so IOM definitely made sense. It is a little more expensive to book for now due to high season but it is also quite a bit cheaper to go via Singapore too!

Tumi is on leave but I booked with Pitso (PTladi@iom.int) and Gloria (grashivhaga@iom.int) and I am really happy! I received our etickets this morning.

@Shannonc4: have you also gone with the migrant fare of luggage 2 piece (23kg each) per person with IOM? I am assuming hand luggage is excluded from that?

Hi,

Yes we have. 46kgs per person and 7kgs hand luggage. IOM was also by far the cheapest for us.

It seems to depend on the date you are looking for. I have to go in the middle of silly season and prices were crazy. I eventually found a good price on Virgin Australia using Etihad from JHB. This worked for me but yes I do sacrifice the extra baggage allowance :(

• 4 weeks later...

Emirates is by far the cheapest guys. I've booked overseas flights online myself on their website before and it cuts out the middle man and saves A LOT. A simple credit card purchase directly from them online, quick and easy. Our flights in April will cost R15 102 (all costs included) for BOTH of us to Sydney from Cape Town, only downside is it's a connection flight via Dubai. Still if you have time and don't mind a longer trip it's basically around R7550 each if you're on a budget. Have a look at www.emirates.com

Edited by DaffyDuck

Emirates is by far the cheapest guys. I've booked overseas flights online myself on their website before and it cuts out the middle man and saves A LOT. A simple credit card purchase directly from them online, quick and easy. Our flights in April will cost R15 102 (all costs included) for BOTH of us to Sydney from Cape Town, only downside is it's a connection flight via Dubai. Still if you have time and don't mind a longer trip it's basically around R7550 each if you're on a budget. Have a look at www.emirates.com

We thought about that but for us, It was the extra baggage allowance that sealed the deal.

OH and no layover :ilikeit:

Edited by shannonc4
  • Like 1