Replacement light bulb for biltong dryer

Asteroid

Hi all

So with Xmas around the corner I was hoping to make a few batches of biltong for consumption during the festivities. Bought the meat (6kg rump), spices, etc All good to go ...then discovered we needed a light bulb, so

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY AN INCANDESCENT LIGHT BULB (or equivalent) for use in the dryer. We tried Bunnings but no such luck as you can apparently only buy energy saving bulbs these days.

Cheers.

Andrew

<Brisbane>

Edited by Asteroid

As far as I know incandescent light bulbs are, or has already been phased out due to them being energy inefficient. My hubby put a 25 watt globe in our biltong drier and it does the job.

You can still occasionally get them in Coles or the cheap $2 shops, otherwise http://australia.rs-online.com/web/c/lighting/incandescent-light-bulbs/

http://ee.ret.gov.au/energy-efficiency/lighting

I definitely have bought them, because my globes constantly blow and I am not putting expensive energy savers in only to have them blow after a week

I use the OSRAM 60W ones from Bunnings, they work a treat, but with the air temp in Perth what it is these days I have disabled my heating in the biltong dryer.

Do you guys use home-made biltong dryers or bought ones?

I made one out of a cheap cupboard with a fan, ventilation holes and insect netting. I'm thinking about adding a light bulb as well because it doesn't seem to dry quick enough if I make anything over 1kg.

Thing is, I'm worried about the fire risk aspect of adding a light.

I got the older model of this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/111227562387?hlpht=true&ops=true&viphx=1&lpid=94

Had someone bring me one from south africa and it has a light fitted, the recommendation is to use a 40w light as anything higher and you may start cooking the meat :P

The light should be fine from a fire perspective however i have my dryer placed where if it was to catch fire it wont set the whole house alight just in case

Thanks all.

A mate of mine sorted me out with a few incandescents he had lying around - he's an electrical engineer and can get them easily as they make good resistors for load testing ....and the occassional batch of billies :ilikeit:

@HansaPlease - We are using a bought dryer, but back in SA made my own out of a 25l plastic paint bucket. Worked a treat!

The light should be fine from a fire perspective however i have my dryer placed where if it was to catch fire it wont set the whole house alight just in case

This is what worries me a bit. Mines downstairs on ground level in the "junk room" most of our house is upstairs, so if downstairs goes "poof" then I'm in a bit of trouble. Not sure the insurance company would find my biltong maker legit :)

I'm also considering trying one of these round plastic "food dehydrators" that you see that do dried fruit etc for about $50. Any thoughts on those?

Or maybe I should stop being a cheapskate and just spend the $150 on a proper biltong maker.

My husband "modified" our biltong maker after doing it for a long time. He decided, unless you live somewhere very wet, you dont need the bulb. So out that went. You do however now need mega wind force. He recons its all about the fan ;) So, he took one of our pedestal house fans and pulled the legs off it. Then placed it face down on top of the box. It blows the living daylights out of the meat, but we can eat biltong in two days from hanging.

• Like 2

Must add, the biltong maker stands indoors, in the kitchen. Probably a different matter if it was out in the garage.

The food dehydrators work and absolute treat. We got a Sunbeam on EBay and have never looked back. Enjoy, and no fire risk!!!

• Like 1

The food dehydrators work and absolute treat. We got a Sunbeam on EBay and have never looked back. Enjoy, and no fire risk!!!

Excellent! Thank you. One more question, is it one with a fan only setting or do you actually make your biltong with a low heat setting? I'm worried about cooking the meat rather than drying it...

Hey

Warm air can carry more water, so the idea behind the light is to slightly warm up the air in the process reducing the humidity in the air and making the meat dry faster, the meat will pick up a bit of radiated heat from the light but it wont be much because there will be airflow over the meat cooling it off fast as well.

We run a 40w light, it is perhaps 3 cm away from the meat and no problem with the meat getting cooked.

Cheers

Nev

I took the plunge and bought a food dehydrator from Aldi today. My first test batch is on at the moment, lets see how this goes...

I took the plunge and bought a food dehydrator from Aldi today. My first test batch is on at the moment, lets see how this goes...

Let us know what you think of it and send some pics please?

Let us know what you think of it and send some pics please?

Well, so far I'm impressed. I'm on my second batch already. The first batch took about 28 hours to make. 30

Minutes preparation, 8 hours curing in the fridge

and only about 19 hours drying time. It was way too salty - my own fault - so I've put on my second batch now. The taste and consistency other than the saltiness was good, about how I would expect biltong to be. The dehydrator did well.

I've got about 800 grams in there but reckon I could probably fit 1.5 kilos easily.

Not bad for 40 bucks! Just have to keep it on the lowest temparature setting and turn/swap the trays a couple of times to get more even drying.

(Trying to add photos but it's saying they're too large?!)

Edited by HansaPlease

Just hung the next batch of meat,

We are trying something completely different this time, im making spice like the biltong shop premixed stuff, (As opposed to the stand and rinse way) will see how it turns out

As said by Nev the higher the temperature the greater the water vapour it can carry. But when the temperature is high and the humidity is high then what?
I asked a friend of mine to check the RH in Joburg in winter, about 30% at 25 degrees. Ex tobacco farmers told me humidity must be below 60% to dry it.. There is information on the BOM website about this
When we lived in Mackay I used a cardboard box with a fan and lamp. As the humidity roze I started getting mould problems from the 80-95% humidity, at 30 to 36 deg heating was not an option.

The thread below has some biltong making boxes including my rather large one, the picture of the box with two cars in a shed is on the link below

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/23142-home-made-biltong/page-2

So I decided an industrial style dryer was the answer. I installed an airconditioner in the sealed box to cool the air to 17 deg, this caused the water in the air to come out of the box into a jug
The water came out into a jug then after a time 0.5 hr the aircon is switched off, In winter a heater came on for 15 min but in summer the temperature drifted up to 30 deg in an hour
a small fan circulated the air all the time and there was a dual timer for heater and air conditioner
I used a small Temp RH monitor to check what was happening
I could get the RH down to about 40% in any weather. I had several South Africans come and ask to see the box but when they saw the size they all just walked away shaking their heads
I could and did dry between 5 and 30 kg at a time, which I was vacuum packing slicing and selling for $30 a kilo. This lead to several people using the aircon of their homes to hang biltong during the day while at work
day 1 usually removed about 2 L of water, day 2 about 1-2 L and then reducing water
By measuring the water removed I could estimate the mass of the remaining meat and tell when it was dry
I sold the box due to it being to big to move easily but a new one could be on the drawing board, I currently have a small box with only a fan fitted but it is a bit slow in Brisbane, maybe a light bulb is needed
  • Like 2

I like it, a ton of work but a great solution