"Stop Being Pedantic!"

SmellyN

Oh my goodness, that would be dangerous...........flying to RSA for Xmas..........he might not want to come back.

I can't even offer any advice, because I don't know if there will be availability at the end of January. In most of Australia it is pretty much a case of having an idea of what you want and grabbing it the minute it becomes available, if you wait even a day or two it can be gone. Perth was a nightmare to find housing in December.

So does grumpy agent have anything? If you end up having to rent short term holiday rental it will be so expensive.

I see they've still got 14 Diane Place advertised............did they say it is gone?

I think the quicker you get into a house, then you can have some normality in your life.

AndreaL -We have viewed 14 Diane place...very small rooms & everything else...more like a roomy 2 bedroom rather than a 4! We did look at it already...last time we checked with agents it wasn't available again after we viewed...BUT it won't work now anyway, because we need a FURNISHED place because our container isn't here yet....Alas Diane Place is/was UNFURNISHED.

Sorry, I'm not keeping up, so the way I see it, you have to find out when you container will arrive and plan around that...........things are more difficult when you have a baby though. Many other people have gotten their rental and basically camped in it with a few blow up beds or some borrowed things from friends, until their container arrives, so at least they have the rental in place.

Furnished rentals are uncommon,so I would continue where you are as you have some basic comforts, get a rental sorted, even if you have to pay a week or two rent and can't live in it and if your container is only going to take a week or two at least you are only forking out for a few weeks, but know that you have the place.

A lot depends on delivery date of the container.

A lot of houses do have smallish bedrooms, house sizes in general are much smaller here, although there are exceptions.

I think it was easier because we came with nothing anyway, we moved into our first house with just a mattress and a TV, but it did have a fridge.

• Like 1

We're even considering the Caravan Park....NO JOKES!!....only problem is it looks like even THEY are booked already!!!

:unsure:

You won't be the first Saffa to have to have to do that. In 2001 (9 months after arriving in Perth from SA) I took a work transfer to Brisbane. The idea was to rent furnished accommodation until our container arrived in Bne. (BTW, moving states in Oz is like immigrating all over again). Whilst shacked up in furnished accommodation we'd take our time and look for a rental property. I was so busy with settling into my new role I thought I'd leave all the hotel and accommodation bookings until we arrived in Bne, after all how hard can it be? Well, easier said than done! Not only was it near impossible to find furnished accommodation but there was some event (I forget what) happening in Brisbane and it was also school holidays so accommodation was in short supply. We found a cheap hotel which we used as a base and then started searching. There was NO furnished accommodation available within 100 miles of my work so we landed up in a caravan park! It was pretty run down but it was a caravan which my kids loved. In fact it was like being on holiday for them! For me it was weird waking up in the morning and putting on work clothes when everyone else was heading to the pool in the cozzies! The view of the land refill and recycling plant added to the ambience of our new lives in Australia. I remember after a few weeks my 5 year old son wanted to know why all his new friends kept moving away :P In the meantime we were running around to real estate agents asking them for their rental lists. I remember one major real estate agent saying that they did not have a rental list to which I said, that's crazy, a big company like you and you do not have a rental list! The very prim and proper lady replied, "we have over 1,500 houses under our rental management, it's just that non are available!" That's when it hit me, oooops we are in beeeeeg kaaak! We eventually found an unfurnished house which had a pool. By now our container was in storage and could not be deliverd for another 2 days so we camped down in the unfurnished rental house which was really no problem for us, by then we were accomplished campers. We were so happy that I could not hand over the deposit quick enough. The fact that it did not have aircon did not even register.......until the hot weather hit. Let's just say "thank God for swimming pools". The kids spent so much time in the pool that I'm convinced they started to grow gills and webbed feet! They spent all day in the pool and often a quick dip to cool down just before getting into bed, then again before school! We bought the biggest fans we could find which sounded like a Boeing 747 taking off and to prevent being sucked in we needed a safe clearance zone of about 3m around each fan! But we survived and the kids flourished......then we moved back to Perth.

PS! Yes I am still married and my wife and my kids tell me that they still love me :wacko: Hang in there, it's not so bad!

Edited by Johnno
  • Like 10

Yep, we slept on an inflatable mattress for 2 weeks and it was a few months before we had a couch, we made do with what we could until we got stuff

We rented a couple of necessary items, like beds and matresses, 2 couches, tv, and a few white goods for the 14 days we had to wait for our container to arrive. Also met a few South Africans at the church we attended and they were happy to help out with smaller things like cutlery and small kitchen appliances and the like. We were cramped in a super small duplex but has a roof over our heads. Beggers can't be choosers was what we told ourselves, we were just very happy to be settled for the moment. More than 50% of our boxes were left unopened just because there was no space. Less than 5 months later we were able to move into a much larger stand alone home with a massive swimming pool.

Sjooeeee. What a day again. Managed to check out a few more, but still no luck. We have got one or 2 standby's but nothing remotely definite. I'm stress eating & drinking between all the sessions & am pulling day & night shifts as I can't switch off anymore & our baba-boy is teething something terrible. So yes maybe not seeing things as clear as I should, so it does help to touch base again with people's feedback, to try & see what might work for us. Was thinking I might try & run down to the local op-shops to see what I can find tomorrow for baba ...maybe a 2nd hand portable cot & some clothes to get by. We are trying to contemplate/get in the "spirit" for xmas, (in the older kiddies cases' they have pretty much earmarked bicycles from Santa seeing that everyone rides around & they still don't) It's just so difficult moving around with all the stuff we have already with (the 15 pieces of luggage) but at least we have two vehicles at our use to do so. When me moved the other day without the car it took me a good 15 short trips with toddler, baby & 2pces of luggage at a time! (nobody to look after them because eldest (8yrs) was at school & hubby was at work. I don't know how to pluck up the energy (neither hubby) to do this...I would say we are depressed for sure. I can't see myself actually camping out again...it's pretty much what we are doing now in a different way...emotionally we've pretty much decided to sit tight in lodgings where we are now (it's got all of what we need to get by with except baby stuff & maybe limited kitchen goods) We can't pin dates down on container till it actually does it's final dock in Melb & clears AQIS. It's FRUSTRATING! To take an empty house now (IF we find one) SURE...BUT for HOW LONG?!- We know container is late....we don't know how late this will put the delivery back because of the xmas new year rush. Since we've come in I'm no stranger at trying to wash & sterilise baby bottles in a small handsink; deal with a potty-training toddler (who has regressed because of travelling so it is now actually a problem & I have to "trust" in nappies more than in her ability.) Whatever is available is really expensive...there just isn't budget for anything else. Our eldest comes home everyday now crying why nobody has a house for us, when with a hopeful look she walks to the car only to have her hope dashed. We involved the company travel agent today too (obviously going to be for our bill) BUT it DID reveal that somewhere something is wrong...they (a local agent that they called) were willing to help them with suitable options (obviously said travel agent is well known too)...apparently we have been shown the "ideal" 2 bedroom furnished option "only just today".-JA! RIGHT! REALLY! Must've been our twin-couple because we were NOWHERE near them today! Obviously lines are crossed, but I think they are covering their tracks, because it is an embarrassment this whole thing & a town "built" on Tourism should have more etiquette, than to spread lies about their clientele.

-PS...did I mention that PedanticGrumpyLady ALSO had her turn on me today after calling again & her also throwing the phone down in my ear in exasperation-we dared to politely decline the option that she offered that is going to be a huge commute to work & schools & in two different directions & is still in the $600/wk range for a RURAL property & UNFURNISHED (again "perfect")....We can't commit to this no matter how desperate we are...min 1yr lease too & the commute is going to cost extra etc.....story also came out over the weekend from her that she actually would "like" us to rent HER house OUT of town so that she can stay IN town & have a bit of a "holiday"!!! I KID YOU NOT! (We had suspected this too, from other hints dropped before, but explains why we are not actually making headway with her & just as well we haven't hedged all out bets on her either...I think it's very one-sided her dealings with us, with some serious ulterior motives as she's so politely "proposed" to us...so naturally leaving us in the lurch right up till the last minute might work to her benefit! -SO SHE THINKS!)

HONESTLY don't KNOW ANYMORE! My head is pounding something terrible. I am feeling like I've genuinely been "thinking" too much on how this could all pan/work out...(not to mention the driving & calls again)we're actually going to rather try & work through the company travel agent for now....at least she seems to understand our "English" that we are speaking....one would honestly think we are speaking in Tongues & sprouted horns the way people are handling us...just tiresome...seeing a very different side of things to the "rosy" trip in that some of you all had (I don't mean that sarcastically at all) I think a normal trip in would seem "rosy" to us right now....this has been anything but normal.

Thks Johnno! You give me hope! ;)

Please forgive me too if for the next day or so if I am going to try & avoid this current topic of mine...(I'm telling my hubby the same thing too in regards to harping on the same depressing chords)

I am winding myself up a bit more than I should I think, by also verbalising my experiences...it's like a double whammy...dealt with the situation in the day which is upsetting & then I re-live it again by re-telling & re-explaining what happened & I get worked up again. I will answer back & I really do appreciate EVERYONE's input...it gives me a broader perspective on things & some advice "tools" to work with & apply.

Good idea.

Have a day or two away from the forum and try and do something nice with you and the kids....visit to the park or something, and try and get some sleep.

Maybe the company travel agent will have more luck for you. My focus would be pinning a date down for the container and then you can plan round that. If you move to a furnished house (and are lucky to get one, other than a holiday let) you will just have to move again when the container arrives, so maybe stay where you are if possible and try and line up an unfurnished rental a week or so before the container arrives (I'm trying to think in terms of conserving finances too).

Good luck.

So quickie update....Still no house...frantically been to a whole lot more last week...one or two options materialising...so hold thumbs!

Hi SmellyN

Any news on your house hunting?

Noooo!!! We are down to the last wk!! Hubby had a crises meeting with company last week & they reluctantly agreed to help out a bit further, but it's kind of too late in a way already...because the last available options have gone already! No words!

Oh dear sorry to hear! :cry: We literally grabbed the first suitable (bearable!) rental we could find and waited....and waited....for our container, 6-7 weeks of 2 camping chairs, and the bear minimum of purchases like beds and an outside table that we used inside so that we could at least eat at a table, cheap kmart kitchen necessities and a tv that stood on the floor! In the middle of winter too with 2 borrowed blankets from a kind mum at school, and no other comforts it was awful, I didn't know if I could manage but time did pass and I did survive!! However I will NEVER forget the experience and feelings, have you noticed how many people can still recount their first experiences moving to OZ even though they have been here for years, makes me laugh as I will be exactly the same! I found furnished rentals completely narrowed down choice and it was such a gamble timing and cost wise....being in an empty house waiting to receive our container really worked in the end for us, I must reluctantly say! Yes.... this is where the medals should be handed out hee hee

Good luck! None of our situations and family dynamics are the same, and we all have to do the best we can, I hope you are feeling OK today, thinking of you all!

Keep strong! :boxing:

You're not going to like what I'm going to say...

Not usually this harsh, but I feel it needs to be said:

I think you need to reconsider your position on the commute. You are putting yourselves under unnessesary stress by trying to find a house that at this stage, doesnt exist. The closer you come to the holiday season (which is already starting) the less likely you are to find a place in Inverloch.

I know you said that you don't expect us to understand your position on the commute, but you're right, I don't understand. I know at this stage you don't want to be preached to, I know you're probably feeling down without needing to be told you're doing the wrong thing, but seriously, would your husband rather not have a house than have to put up with a bit of a drive? A nice relaxing drive at that?

I'm sorry, it's not what you want to hear, but if your husband can't put up with a bit of a commute for a few months for the sake of his family, or can't function at work without driving an hour or so to get there then he needs to harden up.

The commute from Pakenham to Wonthaggi is nothing like what he is used to back home. Unless you're saying he still has to drive to different sites, then I might understand, but if it's just a daily commute, then I don't. Not if it's only until you find another place and get rid of all this stress of your container, not having a house at all, or spending a fortune on a holiday house that doesn't suit your needs anyway.

I really hope you manage, I hate hearing about your struggles, but I think your husband needs to reconsider.

• Like 1

Maybe the 1st question to ask is this, is Australia for you? Immigration is not easy, the changes are so great in such a short space of time.

If I may ask what was your initial reason for deciding to move to Australia? Knowing what you know now, what would you do differently if you could do it over from the start again?

I really hope you guys have come right by now but as HansaPlease says why not look at Pakenham or something a bit closer to where your husband will be working even if it is a bit further to commute than from Inverloch.

As I understand the big issue appears to be the holiday season which means by the end of January probably the bulk of the holiday trade will be over for the year and properties will begin to come onto the market. In between now and then we have Christmas, New Year and Australia Day, schools will be closing so your daughter wont be having to travel a long way to school each day. Perhaps see if you could find a shorter term let within an easily commutable distance and see where you go from there - dont worry about furnished check out freecycle, ziilch, ask for what you want, check out op shops and garage sales make do - it is not forever just till you are on your feet then when your container arrives and you move into your longer term rental just frecycle again. Remember too the distances in Australia are huge - many people do have a long commute to work but the way he would be going is against the traffic flow and country driving.

Most important try not to stress - not easy I know but your kids pick up the stress and then they act up which adds to your stress. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best in your hunt

• Like 1

We booked 1 week accommodation on Gold Coast from RSA, arrived there and had somewhere to stay and give us a week to sort the next week out. Luckily the managers are Kiwis and helped me, we were able to rent accommodation there on a weekly basis at $350/week/fully furnished (we paid near to $540 from RSA for the week), we did move around the resort 3 times but at least we knew we had somewhere to stay whilst we waited for container to arrive.

When we knew our container was docked and clearing we already had a permanent rental on our list, we moved into rental a week and half before container arrived. We just bought blow up mattresses, some camping cutlery, cups, plates etc and a new microwave and fridge which we didnt bring in container. This was all planned and it worked out very well. I suppose finding somewhere to stay in high season can be very challenging, but I say never give up

• Like 1

Don't know what I'm feeling right now- thk you all again for all the concern & valid input. There have been a number of variables that have drastically impacted on this path of ours...although it feels extremely bad at times i.e. unbearable...there are things that carry you through, even if it is the slimmest thread of hope...again we need time...we are too fresh off the plane still. We are looking at things from all angles, but so difficult when someone has laid a contract down for you & you need to make it work AGAINST all normal possible odds! Yes- we will endure. Yes- we will learn to adapt & change some things. No- We won't go back at this stage. Could things have gone differently...sure...we just have to work it all out...as hubby reminds me...one step at a time!

• Like 2