"Stop Being Pedantic!"

SmellyN

Hi SmellyN , how did your hubby do this weekend in your house hunt?

The funny bit is that 1 of the boxes, so 1/3 of our stuff we kept and brought with was dive gear....... and we haven't dived since we got to auz... coming up on 2 years

So you never know what is going to be worth taking.

Hi SmellyN, I'm also quite interested how things went with hubby's visit.I'm holding thumbs everything works out! That would be great!

Hi Guys. Thks so much for all yr concern....I'm afraid the weekend news wasn't good. Our little family is holding on with all our might. Saturday was actually a nightmare ....hubby came home after 2hrs of people being difficult again...in the way that they've been evasive again....we pinned down fresher options & they weren't available...hubby & I dissolved into one massive argument again on our respective breaking points -to be honest very bad almost to the point of divorce. Sunday "PedanticGrumpyLady" called 5pm to ask us to come and view ANOTHER house...so packed everyone into the car again -BEAUTIFUL HOUSE!! We had actually viewed this online before as a "possible buy" -& ruled it out with a pricetag of $3.5mil on it!!! Needless to say our "rental" option being proposed to us is coming in at $800/wk with a $5,000 Deposit/Bond!! RIDUCULOUS!!! Yes afore-mentioned house will suit our needs & more, but we will have to toss up keeping the new car (which is a necessity here in rural with the limitation on transport & with the bad weather & the baby& kids)/ or paying our bond back in RSA(no tenant's as yet)....so it's not an option......Really bad at the moment.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, the strain is obviously getting to you both. How is hubby settling in at work, this can also be a tough time, my hubby hated his first job, but tried to make the best of it because we had no other options, luckily things improved, but only 15 months later.

Gosh, $800 is steep, I would imagine you would need a take home pay of over $2000 p/w to be able to take on a rental like that.

What are the remaining options? I'm assuming you are in some sort of temporary set up at the moment, could it be extended to give you more time? Is there somewhere perhaps not perfect, but doable for 6 months until you get your house in RSA tenanted?

I'm sorry this is turning into such a nightmare for you.

Hi again

I've just had a quick look and already many of the houses have gone, the only half decent one I can see is the one at Diane Place. I also looked at Leongatha and there is a 4 bed or 3 bed and study, older style, but looks to have been renovated and is quite quirky, plus it has a self contained bungalow at the back that you could use or for storage and is only $355.

The black and white bathroom looks quite sizeable by Australian standards, the lounge is unusual but spacious and quite a bit of storage in the kitchen, which can be a problem.

Anyway, have a look, could suffice for 6 months or so? http://www.stockdaleleggo.com.au/inverloch/details.asp?internetid=241655&OFFICE_ID=31&order=LISTING_DATE_LISTED&suburb=&surround=&price1=0&price2=99999&category=residential&bedrooms=4&bathrooms=&garages=0&propertyType=&OFFICE_GROUP_ID=&offset=&st=rent

Ooh, I love the garden and the cottagey look to the house

• Like 1

SmellyN, that sucks big time. A house is not worth your marriage! The stress must be really unbearable and it does not come in a vacuum. You had the stress of the visa and move and I am sure your resources are at an all time low. I know words of support does not help you practically at all, but know that I am praying for you.

• Like 1

SmellyN, that sucks big time. A house is not worth your marriage! The stress must be really unbearable and it does not come in a vacuum. You had the stress of the visa and move and I am sure your resources are at an all time low. I know words of support does not help you practically at all, but know that I am praying for you.

• Like 1

I've been accused of being negative by some. However my view has been and this is a prime example of why one going ahead of another is a good idea. It removes a lot of stress in the marriage itself as listed and allows for a lot of flexibility to check if the job works, find a place to live etc. Those couple of months apart make a massive difference even if it does not seem like it at the time.

I'm afraid there is no magic solution to your challenge. Either this move will make or break from what I can read into what is going on.

I think you going to have to settle and compromise on your choices. As I said earlier in this post, one step back now could make a big difference in a year from now. If that means storing your stuff some where then so be it.

Folks don't under estimate that immigration is no walk in the park.

• Like 2

Wowzer! For 3.5mil you can buy yourself a mansion in Sydney. What are they smoking?

Seriously, I think you have exhausted available, big, houses in your area for the time being. You will have to compromise on something, or you will be stuck for Xmas. Sorry if this is personal, but why so many bedrooms? Cant the two older kids share? Even if its just till winter, when hopefully more houses become available. I really feel for you. The stress is not good for any relationship. Also, whatever you do, dont over commit financially in the begining. Rather go smaller now and feel things out first.

Edited by rozellem
  • Like 1

Hi SmellyN,

Have you considered Warragul, Pakenham, etc? It will be a bit of a commute for your husband (1hr each way), however it is still doable. There is a lot more rental stock in these areas. You can always reconsider moving to your area of choice when something suitable becomes available. We have moved around a few times (twice between VIC an WA) and a few times within VIC. I know it is preferable to settle in your preferred area from the beginning, however it is more important to find a place to initially settle so your lives can return to some sort of normality - the sooner the better.

Hold thumbs things fall in to place for you soon.

Good luck!

DdP

• Like 1

I agree with Derekdup. You could walk into a 4 bed with double garage in these areas for $300-$350 pw and there are plenty, especially Pakenham. Your husband will have a commute on his hands but no worse than what we used to do from Pakenham to the city every day. I think that's far better than all this stress and possibly not finding a house. And certainly far better than paying $800pw.

Then in winter when all the agents are knocking on your door you can sign a longer term lease in the area you actually want to live in.

• Like 1

PS: the commute would be very easy driving because you're going in the opposite direction to traffic. The Pakenham drive is freeway almost all the way.

Thks guys. It means so much to us (specifically me) at the moment to still have "contact" with friends! Whether I know you all or not- yr input is invaluable- from those of you who have walked this path already...although tough to absorb the reality & wisdom of yr advice & from those of you rooting/supporting us from back "home" (for it's not that anymore!) who also sympathise, pray & care through our predicament.

As to commuting...just come from doing this back in RSA for 2 yrs...It's NOT an option...not with young kids & NOT for my husband's health (the stress does take it's toll) & NOT for our Marriage. I'll leave it at that. I know under circumstances some of you might not understand our reasons why, but we've done it already & it's not a path we'd like to go down again....We need our family to spend time together during normal hours & not apart when it matters most. Neither can hubby function efficiently for work, under that kind of stress anymore- he's been doing it too long.

We've already pretty much taken the decision that we'll have to scale things down -as in shop around for a smaller place....we have till Friday here....might be able to delay things a little if we can speak to Employer to "help" somehow (they are being pretty difficult at the moment in avoiding the "issue") whether it be financially (which I doubt) or at least with some advice/ answers to how this could play out over the next mth or so.

Received confirmation y/day-The container is near! It's due to land in Brisbane anyday now from it's Singapore-leg. Then a day or so on from there to Melbourne, so they are estimating pick-up +-7th Dec. As to how the Customs/AQIS-thing goes down -we don't know what time-frame we are looking at. It could go one of 2 ways (either before Xmas or after New Year). This is difficult either way you look at it now.

We have to try & find a furnished rental for now -a cheaper option to what we are in now (because container is delayed)- this is already difficult because the town is booked up for holidays. Neither can we (realistically) sign on more than 2mths. Especially if we have a container that's landing & going to be "hanging" around & costing!

To shelve the container in it's entirety is not an option either- there are things we need (in particular baby clothes!!-thought I had brought enough, but our little boy ain't so "little" anymore! Also can't find any 2nd hand clothes to tie us through. Not to mention some other things that were packed in by accident at the last minute because of travel luggage that we were going to take with us for fear of being overweight & we were actually going to need it)

Our only other option is to down to bare minimalistic....a 2bed,1bath which seems to be a better option in the "decent"/available factor...we don't mind...but now it involves what to do with all the container stuff.....We could stand to have a HUGE (non-existent garage!) garage sale...(we don't really want to do this) ...Although some of the pro & con's: We might get actually get more for our second hand stuff here that we would've back in RSA, it just going to take time to do it & to find storage to do it from.

All veritably "up in the air" at the moment...hubby has taken off work today to try & sort things out again today....

Our eldest had another major melt-down last night again...changing schools now is not going to do her any good & her uniforms have just arrived. It's heartbreaking & beyond difficult....

As to doing things the right "way" round i.e. coming over first/together, renting a house before/after you've landed....I think when it comes down to it..there isn't any right answer to any of it/ doing things differently -personal situations & handling thereof would apply...some people (like us -as a whole family unit) would experience MORE stress out of the process if we had to split up for the move across.

You can't delay any inevitabilities of when you are going to experience it all & mainstream into Australia....it's starts the day you started the visa in RSA & expounds/precipitates the day you land...

Hi SmellyN

I'm certain you will find something this week............did you look at the Leongatha link I posted? I'm not pushing, but just know that things will be much better for you all when you get into your own place.

I'm actually one of the people who believes that a family should come together. It can be very stressful for a man on his own with a new job and no-one to listen to him at the end of the day...........plus if it is anything like hubby's first job, you are at work all day and don't have the time to look for rentals as the offices all close at 5pm.

I also get the wanting to be together and not having the same stressors you had in RSA, as in travelling. Our one "must" was that hubby not work away from home, as in FIFO, we did this for 7 months in RSA and it was not good for our family, so a lesser paying job, but home every night was essential.

Good luck with the remainder of the week, I think you have more chance of landing something if you look at 3 bedrooms 2 bathrooms, you may luck out on a 4 bedroom too.

Just regarding the commute - what sort of commute was your husband doing in SA (km, time, heavy traffic, etc?) and what sort of commute would be acceptable to him now?

I am actually with Hansa on this, the commute he speaks about is not in heavy traffic conditions, it should be an easy drive. I used to travel to Leongatha for work in the past, once a week. I worked near Melbourne airport, and looked forward to getting down Pakenham way, as from there it was really an easy run on to Leongatha, without any stress of traffic in the city.

Just regarding the commute - what sort of commute was your husband doing in SA (km, time, heavy traffic, etc?) and what sort of commute would be acceptable to him now?

Hi. It was anything between 140-250km/day in ONE direction so x 2....early morning & late evening or anytime of the day for that matter -He's a Field Service Engineer, so had a radius to work & had to go where the work was & stay till the problems were solved...so could mean leaving at 3am for an Airport run to CT for a 6am flight out to JHB for eg. or a 5am start to get to a site that is at least 2hrs away.. and also pitching up at home anytime from 11pm to 2am in the morning again...MADNESS! The longer commute is not really an option...it takes it's toll on yr work efficiency & the fact that you don't have time to stop & eat, drink water or go to the toilet! 30min away is acceptable maybe even pushing it at 45min....BUT (LOL!) granted there is no bad traffic on the longer roads...but it DOES take longer because you have to drive slower....in RSA we could still push the drive to 120/130kmph with fewer UNMARKED CARS! LOL!

SOOOooo a "nice" little discovery....on the Stayz accommodation website last night.....THERE ARE 12+pages FULL of AVAILABLE ACCOMMODATION!! I think +-286 listing!! -Just goes to show I'm NOT nuts afterall!! These people are pulling dirty tricks this end....The houses ARE mostly empty!! This goes to confirm what we've been seeing driving up & down every street every day & night. Hmmmm.....Now I'm CONVINCED we'll be in the Pound-Seat come end Jan/Feb2014....then they can go & shove their $800/wk! It's just sickening!

This property has just been listed:

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-wonthaggi-411851039

Looks like it has ample storage and a cute cubby house for the kids outside. Not the best looking house on the inside but maybe worth a look? Only a 31 min drive from Leongatha on the Bruce Highway

So, still nothing?

Remember that stayz is a holiday/short term accommodation website where you pay a nightly rate and can sometimes rent weekly, but aren't fixed term rentals. so they might be empty but will have holiday makers in them from time to time.

Stick with estate agents or try looking for private rentals where you rent directly with the owner, but there can be problems with this unless you have a good contract.

Yep, as Andrea pointed out. Stayz is for holiday accommodation. Don't compare that to the rental market, it's a whole other kettle of fish.

I think she was implying getting accommodation via Stayz until the holiday season is over and then getting a proper rental when the estate agents come begging.

• Like 1

Sorry guys...holiday rent/ long-let is one & the same in this town...I really do understand the reasons why...I come from a similar Tourism background &town & BUT what grates me is the False-Advertising on the Real-Estate sites with these places being available on there & when you ask about it it's not available YET SAME house is on the Holiday-Let sites @4times the price just for Xmas/New Year period!! They couldn't be bothered to update things & are playing both angles...it's a really corrupt way of doing things....I'm sure half of the owners of these holiday houses aren't aware that we even exist!

I've never seen that anywhere here before, strange, usually all the places on stayz are furnished holiday rentals. Do any of them give monthly rates? Very expensive though I bet.

I think she was implying getting accommodation via Stayz until the holiday season is over and then getting a proper rental when the estate agents come begging.

Erik, I think there is zero chance of estate agents coming begging......lol.........they don't have to do any work to get houses rented, other than a 10 minute viewing.

AndreaL our container is delayed to make matters worse....we don't have an option...it's docking in Brisbane now & only due to sail into Melbourne +-7thDec & has to clear AQIS this side still, although as I understand it the Customs check in RSA was already done before it left. We're now having to look at minimum of a 2bed Furnished place with at least a kitchen & laundry to accommodate for baby's needs...he's sleeping in the pram still & outgrowing it fast as all our bigger baby gear is in the container...not to mention we are now running out of clothes for him!! (Also in container!)

Timing is bad all round...it's a dicey time, because even the furnished holiday lets are booking up over xmas already....we've managed to negotiate a last-minute deal where we are staying, which will at least secure us till the 20th Dec if need be, but to stay here is not a proper solution & only delaying the inevitability, that we need to get a proper place of our own....

We're even considering the Caravan Park....NO JOKES!!....only problem is it looks like even THEY are booked already!!!

In my heart I feel, that if we can sit it out till at least when the schools start in +-20 till end Jan again...the houses WILL/ MUST be available by then....really just trying to persuade my hubby that we are NOT going to fly back home to RSA again for xmas! :unsure: