MYOB accounting

ArnoW

Hi everyone. I have posted this on another discussion as well, but I think this might have been the better area to post in.

This is a bit of a technical accounting proffession question, so please bare with me.

I see on all the job adertisements that "MYOB experience is preferred". I know that MYOB is the accounting software that a lot of companies is Australisa uses. The problem is that the software is not used widely is South Africa (ACCPA, SAP and Pastel are mainly used here), and as a result most uf us coming over do not have experience working with MYOB.

I tried to see if there is a course I can do somewhere to get MYOB accreditation, but I cannot see something on the web.

How on earth do I then get the experience or training. I do not want this to count against me in most of the interviews next year!

Does anyone have advice on this please?

MYOB is very easy to use and a lot of companies would employ you if you haven't got MYOB but do have other accounting program experience. It does not hurt to apply - don't let that put you off. It is often more important to employ the right person and teach them new skills, than employing someone who shows a certificate they completed on a website. (No harm in getting the certificate, but it is not a golden ticket, and not having it, is not the end of the world either.) I've done work on software I had no prior experience on and it was never an issue in getting the job. If you have the right attitude you are halfway there - and make sure they know that. (That you are a quick learner, and eager to acquire new skills).

MYOB is very easy to use and a lot of companies would employ you if you haven't got MYOB but do have other accounting program experience. It does not hurt to apply - don't let that put you off. It is often more important to employ the right person and teach them new skills, than employing someone who shows a certificate they completed on a website. (No harm in getting the certificate, but it is not a golden ticket, and not having it, is not the end of the world either.) I've done work on software I had no prior experience on and it was never an issue in getting the job. If you have the right attitude you are halfway there - and make sure they know that. (That you are a quick learner, and eager to acquire new skills).

Thanks for the feedback Rickie - at least I know ow there are possibilities even if I do not have MYOB experience. I just want to get into the job market. I will do what it takes to learn. Luckily I have SAP and Accpac and a little Pastel experience.

Arno

MYOB is used by small to medium sized companies. The Tafe's offer courses , but seriously if you have are used to SAP, ACCPAC AND PASTEL Myob is a walk in the park.

There is another accounting package that is giving MYOB a run for its money called XERO. You can also look at their website. Very easy to use.

Good luck with the job hunting

• Like 1