School violence @ Boiling Point

WattFamilySydney

Don't want to upset anyone but before Carte Blanche insert story, most of us had seen the seperate incidences happen all over our country via Youtube, news etc. However, their segment included most of these threads together, giving us the full picture of violence against teachers and pupils alike and painted such a dire picture of what is really happening in our schools, I'm so heartbroken!! The links below:

http://carteblanche.dstv.com/story/Spare-the-Rod-2013-10-06

http://carteblanche.dstv.com/story/Teacher-Abuse-2013-11-03

What to do? How do the Australian schools deal with behaviour like this?

When I saw the clip of the schoolgirl strangling the other girl, and then out of nowhere headbutted her, I was utterly disgusted. Kids learn this behaviour only in one place - home. There is no way that girl that age headbutts without having seen someone she looks up to do it.

Our country has a serious problem, and its not about corporal punishment. Its about maturity and emotional intelligence. Kids are not taught these things at home, neither at school (not that its the teacher's job) but something needs to be done.

When I saw the clip of the schoolgirl strangling the other girl, and then out of nowhere headbutted her, I was utterly disgusted. Kids learn this behaviour only in one place - home. There is no way that girl that age headbutts without having seen someone she looks up to do it.

Our country has a serious problem, and its not about corporal punishment. Its about maturity and emotional intelligence. Kids are not taught these things at home, neither at school (not that its the teacher's job) but something needs to be done.

Thanks for your input Toitjie - exact same words I used! So upset that girls aren't taught the value of being "ladies", no reason justifies that type of behaviour especially from females, we are better than this! I think a part of me died when I watched this, I was so heartbroken that schools have been reduced to this unsafe environment for our children and the poor teachers to endure.

What did you think about the violence that teachers have to face? Just so frustrating to watch

I don't even really want to go and have a look. People are so nervous and worried about my children's academic education because we decided to homeschool, while all this terrible things takes the children's learning experience right from under them and the parents keep on paying for that kind of 'education'. No wonder this country is 140th out of 144 countries in education.

I don't even really want to go and have a look. People are so nervous and worried about my children's academic education because we decided to homeschool, while all this terrible things takes the children's learning experience right from under them and the parents keep on paying for that kind of 'education'. No wonder this country is 140th out of 144 countries in education.

Get where you coming from Alida, initially I didn't either but it is unfortunately the reality of what is out there and off course not all schools have bullying to that extreme, but, the severity is what is so disturbing as well as the apathy of the bystanding pupils who do nothing to intervene, they are just filming it on their phones!!

I'm glad you found a safe environment for your children and that wins the argument every time for me!

Congratulations on getting your 175 PR, worth the wait!

Sorry, I dont even want to look.

@Toitjie, I know what you mean by the "they had to see it somewhere to copy it". BUT, my two boys are 2 (the biter) and almost 4 (the banshee) and the things they come up with when they fight (often!) is just horrendous. I went through a stage of being so embarrassed and mortified that people will think thats how we speak/act at home because it is quite the opposite in fact. Now I just hope people who witness this kind of behaviour have toddler boys in their lives too. :boxing:

yes some kids go through stages and some siblings can get pretty aggressive with each other but somehow they learn their limits.

some kids are more outsoken than others and continually test their boundaries.

ADHD in some cases (only a few this is in no way a generalisation) can cause some kids to be very aggressive at times. I have thought at times when I have seen it that maybe it what goes on at home? Maybe what they watch on TV or what computer games they play.

Some kids can just be really aggressive (could be a mental health issue, food intolerance, autism spectrum, ADHD ......) and the parents/teachers have to learn coping strategies as does the child.

What they eat can also influence behaviour - eg Colours, preservatives, additives in foods

If they have a sugar low (haven't eaten for a few hours) this can cause moodiness.

With little kiddies the triple P parenting course is brilliant and helps you cope and you meet others in a similar situation and you share what works and what doesn't. I did it and it made a huge difference for our family when they were little.

Now I need the tween/teen version of it!!!

Sorry, I dont even want to look.

@Toitjie, I know what you mean by the "they had to see it somewhere to copy it". BUT, my two boys are 2 (the biter) and almost 4 (the banshee) and the things they come up with when they fight (often!) is just horrendous. I went through a stage of being so embarrassed and mortified that people will think thats how we speak/act at home because it is quite the opposite in fact. Now I just hope people who witness this kind of behaviour have toddler boys in their lives too. :boxing:

yes some kids go through stages and some siblings can get pretty aggressive with each other but somehow they learn their limits.

some kids are more outsoken than others and continually test their boundaries.

ADHD in some cases (only a few this is in no way a generalisation) can cause some kids to be very aggressive at times. I have thought at times when I have seen it that maybe it what goes on at home? Maybe what they watch on TV or what computer games they play.

Some kids can just be really aggressive (could be a mental health issue, food intolerance, autism spectrum, ADHD ......) and the parents/teachers have to learn coping strategies as does the child.

What they eat can also influence behaviour - eg Colours, preservatives, additives in foods

If they have a sugar low (haven't eaten for a few hours) this can cause moodiness.

With little kiddies the triple P parenting course is brilliant and helps you cope and you meet others in a similar situation and you share what works and what doesn't. I did it and it made a huge difference for our family when they were little.

Now I need the tween/teen version of it!!!

Thanks aquagirl. Luckily, there are no underlying issues here. Kids dont watch tv or play games, dont eat any "contraband", no ADHDXYZ. Yes, things can get a bit hectic when tried or blood sugar is running low. We have done a ton of patenting courses (God bless Aus!) and the mayor thing I have learnt is that their behaviour is "normal" for their age, we are on the right track and that this too shall pass.

My 3 year old is considered a complete angel at pre school and he proudly tells me he only hits at home! Oh dear.....

lol Rozelle...your kids are still small! Mine were biters too...and kids learn what is right and wrong from us. So biting in the absence of any other defence mechanisms is normal. then you teach them its wrong and eventually it stops. Or you dont teach them its wrong, you think its funny, they learn about re-inforcement, same for more serious behaviour and there you go = bully born.

As to what the teachers face - horrible. Im not teacher material, Im way to impatient but my mother, grandmother and great-aunt were all teachers and I know how difficult it is because of the lack of respect. Its shocking to hear a child taunt an adult. I would never have dreamed to talk to a teacher like that, nevermind resorting to violence!

Edited by Toitjie
  • Like 1

It is unfortunate but this does occur in Australian schools as well. Do a google search for Australian school fights.

All boys go through aggressive phases. I have the most restful boy you can dream of, but boy, can he become rowdy at times !! Boys go through 'testosterone surges', which make them feel energetic to the point of aggression. That is normal, I just put limits on: no kicking at each other, and: no hands to faces. And we go sugar, colorant, preservative and flavorant free. And we don't show the children any violence or violent games. They play farmerama and car racing games. And still the aggressive phases come and go.

At our local Christian private school where we have a few friends for our children (former homeschooling friends), we get report of bullying, name calling, battering fellow school mates, aggressive behavior, etc. We don't need this in our lives.