Brand Newbie : The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

WattFamilySydney

Hey all!

I have been following this website and forum discussions for quite some time and finally got my validation today in order to finally communicate with everyone :ilikeit: - JAYY!!

1x Husband = CA

+ 1x Wife = Sales/Admin/PA

+ 2 x Girls = 7 & 11

= The WATT Family

1. The Good:

We currently reside in Fourways, Lonehill - supposedly one of the safest suburbs in SA, hate to want to find out what the other suburbs have endured! Still, I love Lonehill, we have been here for 12 years. You still have people walking, running, jogging on the street (yes there are still some gems out there), kids cycling or walking to school (albeit the young ones with mom but mostly The Help), people taking their dogs for walks but lately you see alot of the Gardeners and Help having been tasked to do this too - I had to laugh at the irony, get so caught up in the rat race that you cannot enjoy a walk with your best friend?? We have the most wonderful park with fenced-in children's play area to ensure no pets enter and has some of the best kept equipment I have seen. Massive gardens and dam (with complimentary birdlife, ducklings and all) that are beuatifully maintained, we even have the renowned Lonehill Koppie, home to some of the best-fed dassies in SA (an eldery gentleman feeds them on a daily basis) - the Koppie is closed-off to the public (preservation) most of the year but does open on occasion for people to enjoy - a wonderful way to get some of the best views of the area. And top it all this is the place where "7de Laan" is filmed!!! There are plenty community events held at the park, annual Easter day where 1 of the churches this year arranged and offered everyone free activities from easter egg hunt (with complimentary goodies), facepainting, choc egg decorating, jumping castles, entertainment and even a coffee/tea garden for the older folk. There is the annual 5km run/walk, arts and crafts in the sun, music festival, carols by candelightl etc etc. We have a firestation, good shopping centre, private school from pre-primary to prep to college (gr12) and enough kindergartens. We even have a dedicated ambulance service on bystand that can offer medical attention within minutes. There is the environmental division that maintains the public areas (like the park) and beuatifies our sidewalks and fills the potholes on our streets. A securtiy company has been put in place to station guards around the area to ensure safety. This Utopia-bubble only exists because of the Lonehill Residents Association which have their own call centre to manage this community and funded by the voluntary contributions of the residents.

2&3. The Bad and The Ugly:

Why call it a Utopia-Bubble or fake Utopia? Crime still exists, however probably not to the extend that it could. This was a long time ago, +- 8 yrs: we were robbed within our security complex (with guards and electric fencing) within this wonderful suburb, had a warning shot fired at us whilst I was pregnant with my 2nd baby. 9/10ths of the Houses In our "corner" of our complex have been broken into/robbed. We even had an incident where the family was followed into the complex, guard held at gunpoint whilst the rest of the gang held up the family and robbed them of their hard earned belongings, after that incident they packed-up and left for America. Walls were raised, new electric fencing around the complex, we had garden alarm sensors put in and more burgular bars!! This "bubble" only exists because of the diligence, hard work and most of all MONEY that keeps this suburb in the condition that should be throughout SA - our tax money goes towards enriching government officials and then still have to pay on top of that to ensure that I get the services that are rightfully mine, ours - this was just the last straw for me! We are good contributing citizens to this country but because we pay our dues we get taxed even more, fuel prices only increase never decreases, the toll fees have been approved by the president even though it is unconstitutional and to top it all we have to pay a resident's association to make our suburb liveable, the funny thing is that they are more successful than the people who supposedly decided to "serve their countrymen". This false Utopia that we are "paying" for even became victim about 1/2 months ago to the dumping of an unborn 7-month old baby girl, wrapped in nothing but a cheap plastic bag into the sanitary bin of our daughters' private school bathroom!!! So upsetting!! Struggling to come to terms with it and so upsetting to think that the institution of innocence (school) was breached by the death of another innocent life, how do you explain to these innocent children at school that a child's life meant nothing and that it was a double disrespectful act to expose them to this horrible act!!! What is going on in the other suburbs then? I do not want to live in a false sense of security which isn't so secure after all..... our bubble burst!!!

Anyway, getting a bit carried away here! I don't want to sound like a whinging SAFFA, I love this country and it's people dearly and love our suburb but just feel that of late even children's lives have become expendable - the horrid crimes against our children in the last 2-3 weeks that have come to light are so horrific that I cannot process it, I cannot believe there can be such evil in this world.

Have ranted and raved enough (at my last few allowed typing spaces anyway) and will send a most uplifting sequel, "The Best", which will include our journey to betterment of life.

Heidi xxx

• Like 3

Good luck with your journey, stay positive when you arrive, never lose sight of why you left, and then your new life in Australia will be great!

Welcome to the forum Heidi. Thanks for sharing. It is important that you rant and rave, because you have to express yourself. Getting rid of these emotions and feelings is all part of the journey. Good luck with your journey!

Thank you Mara and RikaMarie for your encouraging words! I think it's hard to turn the tap off once you have opened up.

Really appreciate your interest and feedback!!

This Forum is so amazing, it is sometimes hard to believe that there are still genuinely caring people out there, I was so taken aback and still find myself every now and again just amazed at how generous people are with their feedback and help, it gives me hope that there is humanity out there and how wonderful and resilient the SAFFAS are, how we can stand together - we are Survivors!!

Thanks ShannonC4, can't wait to share our shared journeys

Hey LadySnoo! Thank you for the well wishes. It really felt good to let steam off, never knew how therapeutic it would be!

See you have reason to celebrate, a mere 7 months to get an unabridged marriage certificate - it is a step forward!!

Hey LadySnoo! Thank you for the well wishes. It really felt good to let steam off, never knew how therapeutic it would be! See you have reason to celebrate, a mere 7 months to get an unabridged marriage certificate - it is a step forward!!

Lol! Yes , so ridiculous ! But a step forward non the less . Now for my damn skills assessment to be completed! I'm on a schedule 2 occupation and it could close at anytime. So our timeline is really important now.

If you don' t have a sense of humour about these things you could easily spiral downards!! Good luck with that, stay in touch would love to know how it goes?

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your plans. We are also in Lonehill, leaving for Aus on 31 December - decided it was as good a day as any!

Welcome Heidi, with you on all the above, I am really struggling to process those horrific headlines too... Just beyond comprehension. :(

Wishing you all the best, I agree that a lot of Saffers live in those bubbles and it's not pretty when they burst. :(

All the best with everything, hope you have a smooth trip and can get out of the hot pot soon :)

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your plans. We are also in Lonehill, leaving for Aus on 31 December - decided it was as good a day as any!

Hey Barbara! Thank you!

Wow fellow Lonehillian, wonderful news, may I ask where you decided to settle in Aus? Good luck with all your final preparations and love the date, something so final leaving on the last day of the year and stepping into a new life in the new year - I think it will probably become one of those amazing memories passed on about the new year spent on a plane looking for a better life, thinking this could be a wonderful starting point to a song, book or poem....getting a bit carried away with your inspirational journey!

Are you taking family, container etc?

Welcome Heidi, with you on all the above, I am really struggling to process those horrific headlines too... Just beyond comprehension. :(

Wishing you all the best, I agree that a lot of Saffers live in those bubbles and it's not pretty when they burst. :(

All the best with everything, hope you have a smooth trip and can get out of the hot pot soon :)

Thanks McCabes!

I agree with the bubble theory not being pretty when burst and reality hits you - the problem folks face is what to do to safeguard oneself in a lawless country and that is when you end up buying into (and I mean literally and through your teeth) this bubble concept. Just sad because there are a lot of people who cannot even get to this point.

Thank you for the well wishes and the same to you, can't wait to jump out of the hot pot into the hot spot to be!

Out of interest is South Africa heading for a civil war like other African countries, what do you think the most likely outcome is, something like Somalia or more like Nigeria/Kenya ?

Hi Heidi, thank you for your wishes.

I must admit to loving this little secure Lonehill bubble that we have been living in! Quite spoilt really and I am going to miss it terribly especially our fave little pizza restaurant at the shopping centre.

Ours is a bit of a strange one. Took our daughter over in March and came back to tie up the sale of our house etc. We waited for our kids to finish uni before we moved across and now that they are done, we ready to take the leap ourselves. We have decided to spend two weeks in Brisbane, hopefully buy a car there and then move on to Sydney or Melborne, Melbourne being our first choice however work will be the deciding factor. My husband also in the accounting field.

We have decided on a 40ft container and Bayleys are doing our move - most our stuff was packed and put in storage when we sold our house so just a few items left. We also taking our four footed "child" along but she will arrive a little later in the year hopefully giving us time to find a pet friendly home. I am thrilled about our date of departure, and as you say a good start to a new life. We booked our tickets through IOM.

If there is any info I can help with, please do not hesitate to ask.

• Like 1

Out of interest is South Africa heading for a civil war like other African countries, what do you think the most likely outcome is, something like Somalia or more like Nigeria/Kenya ?

Hey Chzaau! Not sure and difficult to say, but in my opinion I think heading more towards a Zim but in terms of a class war. Corruption is going to become so rife that you would probably not be able to do business without getting your hands dirty. The elitist rich / government officials will become richer because it is about who you know and how to exploit, there will be no middle class and the dirt poor will have to fight a very unfair battle with no hope in sight. The ruling party will become the Mugabe of Zim and will slowly but surely bring the country to it's knees, in financial ruin and the hope of Africa extinguished!

But a full-on civil war don't and really pray will not happen. I think South Africa thinks it's to civil (pun used deliberatly) that it won't go there, even though it is so savage in terms of violence and insolance towards it's own people, combined with apathy from the people it would take a lot for a war to break out.

Hi Heidi, thank you for your wishes.

I must admit to loving this little secure Lonehill bubble that we have been living in! Quite spoilt really and I am going to miss it terribly especially our fave little pizza restaurant at the shopping centre.

Ours is a bit of a strange one. Took our daughter over in March and came back to tie up the sale of our house etc. We waited for our kids to finish uni before we moved across and now that they are done, we ready to take the leap ourselves. We have decided to spend two weeks in Brisbane, hopefully buy a car there and then move on to Sydney or Melborne, Melbourne being our first choice however work will be the deciding factor. My husband also in the accounting field.

We have decided on a 40ft container and Bayleys are doing our move - most our stuff was packed and put in storage when we sold our house so just a few items left. We also taking our four footed "child" along but she will arrive a little later in the year hopefully giving us time to find a pet friendly home. I am thrilled about our date of departure, and as you say a good start to a new life. We booked our tickets through IOM.

If there is any info I can help with, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks Barbara1, might take you up on that offer - pls stay in contact, would really like to know what you will be going through and support wherever we can!

I'm there with you re spoilt in Lonehill, was an awesome place to stay, now we all get a chance to find new fav places - quite an adventure! All comes down to those darn elusive jobs - especially the accounting field - what's up with that? Pls let me know if you ever settle in Sydney, would love to do coffee? Your house sell fast? Ours sold with 1st viewing with a 2nd offer if that fell through - people just seem to love Lonehill and desperately trying to get in, makes me feel a bit guilty as wanting to leave?

So obviously "all" your kids going along? How did you find the quarantine areas for your pet (cat/dog?), did you manage to inspect here and in Aus?

Thanks Barbara1, might take you up on that offer - pls stay in contact, would really like to know what you will be going through and support wherever we can!

I'm there with you re spoilt in Lonehill, was an awesome place to stay, now we all get a chance to find new fav places - quite an adventure! All comes down to those darn elusive jobs - especially the accounting field - what's up with that? Pls let me know if you ever settle in Sydney, would love to do coffee? Your house sell fast? Ours sold with 1st viewing with a 2nd offer if that fell through - people just seem to love Lonehill and desperately trying to get in, makes me feel a bit guilty as wanting to leave?

So obviously "all" your kids going along? How did you find the quarantine areas for your pet (cat/dog?), did you manage to inspect here and in Aus?

Definitely will stay in contact. Maybe try and do coffee on this side too!

Our house, although in Pretoria, also sold at the first viewing at our price. Dog at Kookaburra in Pretoria as it was quite close to where we lived and made for easier visiting, although we now in Jhb she could have gone anywhere. I am quite happy with her there and found their pricing very reasonable. I go twice a week to check on her. She will be going to Sydney for the balance of quarantine. We watching the quarantine laws very closely as the change in laws are very imminent. Some rumours are saying it could be as soon as early in this month.

My daughter has relocated but my son has elected to stay 'for now'. He got married a month ago and his wife still busy with her internship, needless to say my heart is breaking but I hope they will join us at some point. Age is on their side....

All the best to you, fortunately all our hard work is now done. We are just enjoying our last few weeks being with our friends and family and using the opportunity to continue to explore this vibrant city of Jozi. Please do take me up on my offer, anything I can help with will be my pleasure as I too have benefitted so much from others on this forum.

• Like 1

Definitely will stay in contact. Maybe try and do coffee on this side too!

Our house, although in Pretoria, also sold at the first viewing at our price. Dog at Kookaburra in Pretoria as it was quite close to where we lived and made for easier visiting, although we now in Jhb she could have gone anywhere. I am quite happy with her there and found their pricing very reasonable. I go twice a week to check on her. She will be going to Sydney for the balance of quarantine. We watching the quarantine laws very closely as the change in laws are very imminent. Some rumours are saying it could be as soon as early in this month.

My daughter has relocated but my son has elected to stay 'for now'. He got married a month ago and his wife still busy with her internship, needless to say my heart is breaking but I hope they will join us at some point. Age is on their side....

All the best to you, fortunately all our hard work is now done. We are just enjoying our last few weeks being with our friends and family and using the opportunity to continue to explore this vibrant city of Jozi. Please do take me up on my offer, anything I can help with will be my pleasure as I too have benefitted so much from others on this forum.

Yes please, let me know when you have some free time, mine unfortunately can be mornings only - kiddie run in the afternoons?

Wow, sold both houses that fast - wonderful!! Even if new laws are passed they would have to accommodate those who already have their pets in quarantine? Hope all goes well!

So difficult to leave family behind, especially one's own children but like you said age is on their side and I'm sure they are soon to follow seeing that the rest of you will be in Aus - to much of a temptation.

Same to you, good idea to take in as much as possible - it is still a great and beuatiful country!!