Renting in Melbourne

BattleBug

Hi,

We will be arriving in Melbourne in the 1st quarter of 2014. We are looking in and around the CBD for short term fully furnished apartments. Can anyone recommend any?

Also, in terms of finding a longer term rental property, would we be able to sign a lease without having a job offer/contract in hand? Or would we need to secure jobs first before someone would rent to us?

Thanks in advance

Hi! We secured a 12 month rental in Melbourne from South Africa, without our VISA yet and obviously without a job in Aus yet!!! It can be done. We just felt that, because we have two small kids, we needed to provide them with security in the form of a home. We used Hodges in Melbourne for this (Natalie Wylie).

We leave for Melbourne in December 2013......good luck.

• Like 1

Oooo more friends in Melbourne.

We also leaving the first quarter of 2014, very excited.

thanks mittwelt, I will also contact them..

• Like 2

Hi Mittwelt

Can yo please let me know how you secured a rental?

Thanks

Edited by tersiava

I posted this recently...we have 3 kiddies too!! & were carting 14 checkd luggage;8-10handluggage & 2prams etc!! LOL! Apartments well-equipped...

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:31 AM

This might help....

http://www.serviced-apartments.com.au/

We have just personally stayed here at the Glen ViQi apartments...don't what the rates are company booked us....has everything you need when you first get in....

http://www.serviced-...ommodation.html

The Glen Shopping Centre is also in walking distance -HUGE shopping centre with a walk-in Medicare store, so we got that done pretty quickly...they also do better rates for longer term..met a couple of people there that had been for +-7mths for eg. In the carpark beneath the building there are storage lockers in front of the bays...not that we needed it because we weren't staying long, but it's a handy idea! ;-)

• Like 1

Hi! Well we just contacted Hodges, Agent being Natalie Wylie and told her our circumstances. She then agreed to send us video tours of properties that met our needs. We then sent her applications for the ones we liked and that's it! The least painful thing of all!!! Good luck!

• Like 1

Are you all nuts?! Sorry to be blunt but unless you know Melbourne very well and know exactly where you want to settle I would not recommend securing a rental from abroad.

The kids will really be fine with a furnished apartment / house for a few weeks until you have found your feet - it's like a holiday. And there are plenty to be found.

In the first place the houses never look like they do on photos, and you can't see the surrounding area so might end up with really dodgy neighbours.

Also you need to drive around various suburbs, visit schools and shopping centers and get a feel for the place before you decide. This is a major life changing decision and the area you are in can make or break your opinion / feeling about a place.

Look at the Stayz or booking.com

Good luck and feel free to contact me or other helpful Melbournians for advice!!

Edited by Sibella
  • Like 3

Hey Sibella. Looking forward to hopefully meet up for a coffee and chat when we arrive in Melbourne next month!!!

I am also 100% with Sibella that you should wait to secure your long term accommodation, TILL AFTER YOU ARRIVE, so that you can check the place out. Pictures of a home never tells the whole story of either the house or the area.

• Like 2

Yip, what Sibella said. Tying yourself to a rental or area that makes you unhappy is a really bad place to start your new life from. It can make or break you in those first few weeks. Just ask Mr Heymanse! ;)

• Like 1

I will tell you how it goes when we arrive! Hope it's not all doom and gloom! Feel super positive and organized, so let's see...

Love all the amazing comments on this forum as it really gives a person a 360 degree perspective.

OH YES!!! Not at all how the pictures look half of the time! VERY glad we didn't sign on anywhere yet....still looking for a place though....you have to sift through things...there are a lot of considerations to take in...homes generally are not as "solid" or spacious as RSA, (lot of weatherboard/timber etc) if it is brick & spacious i.e. 4+bedrooms it seems to only be for sale!!! Not for rent! LOL! Here's to our little wing & a prayer to get a decent place in time for our container & before X-mas!!

Agreed, signing a 12 month contract is a lock down of note... especially if the area turns out to be a not-what-you-expected... you can't just cancel a rental agreement here... you are bound to pay for 12 months... or get someone to take-over your contract if you don't want to rent there anymore (easier said than done).

Whatever you do... first get a short term rental (furnished) and scout about first before deciding where to take the plunge for the first 12 months. :o

Just to clarify! We are ecstatic with our choice and are very excited to make the move. While I do appreciate all constructive advice and input, I wish to point out that not everyone functions or thinks the same way. I understand that there are pro's and cons as well as risks either way, but for us, our decision was based on what was right for us.

We have chosen to emigrate to Australia for our children and the very first thing that we did was decide on a school that we wish to send our girls to. We built everything else around that, and, we will make it work for us. Bearing in mind school drop off and pick up as well as public transport options for potential work etc.

Again, not everyone is the same and one should most certainly decide what is right for you and do that. I reiterate that I highly appreciate everyone's comments and hope to meet with all the Melbourne forumites when we arrive. You know, by then you may be saying, "I told you so" or not......no worries! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Hi Mittwelt, I agree, different strokes for different folks. If you are happy with your decision, that is all that matters. We trust that your experience will be excellent.

Look forward to meeting you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mittwelt,

I must admit, I would feel far more comfortable having something sorted before arrival, although I do understand everyone's concerns about the bits that weren't shown on the video. Perhaps you could keep us posted as to how the new house turns out?

Were the agents you used specific to your chosen area or do they operate throughout Melbourne? We will be arriving with three cats in two and I have a sneaky suspicion that may make house hunting fairly problematic.

Best wishes for the 9th!

Hi Mittwelt,

I must admit, I would feel far more comfortable having something sorted before arrival, although I do understand everyone's concerns about the bits that weren't shown on the video. Perhaps you could keep us posted as to how the new house turns out?

Were the agents you used specific to your chosen area or do they operate throughout Melbourne? We will be arriving with three cats in two and I have a sneaky suspicion that may make house hunting fairly problematic.

Best wishes for the 9th!

Thank you for the wishes. I must admit, it is such a relief that we have an Australian address already!

Our Agent wa fantastic, she asked me to send her an email of all our wishes for a property, even if it's silly, which I did. I said specifi things like pet friendly, close to public transport spots, close to kids school and shops, how many bedrooms etc. she then forwarded all properties that she felt matched my wish list the closest and we asked her to do virtual tours of the ones we liked. She was dead honest with us about what she thought of each too. She een went so far as to tell us about the neighbors! We had so much fun doing this and the Agent and I had many good laughs.

Eventually, after loads of research into each option, we chose an submitted an application. Fortunately the one we really liked, the Landlord accepted our application. The Agent was so understanding when I struggled to get the first "deposit" transferred from SA!

The Agent then even arranged our connections and we have an Australian telephone number already!!! She then offered to organize school uniforms for the girls for us because we arrive after the closing date for this.

We used Hodges, Mentone and the Agent is Natalie Wylie. What a great experience. They even phoned us to SA to chat and put our minds at ease. Hodges also rent properties throughout Melbourne!

In all honesty, this was by far the most enjoyable and stress-free part of our journey thus far. Our kids also love being able to watch the video of our new house and it makes them relaxed about everything. They have Ben chosen their rooms. The video that she sent us was one that she did herself and she even opened the cupboards to show us what it looks like. Every inch of the property was filmed.

If I can answer any more questions, I will do so gladly!!! Best of all is that the girls are walking distance from school. We are 300m from the train station and about 1,5km from the beach. Cannot wait to get there.

• Like 1

Agreed, signing a 12 month contract is a lock down of note... especially if the area turns out to be a not-what-you-expected... you can't just cancel a rental agreement here... you are bound to pay for 12 months... or get someone to take-over your contract if you don't want to rent there anymore (easier said than done).

:o

Yes and no. We sold our house last year and moved into a rental because we didn't find our dream house in time. 7 months into the 12 month lease we found our house and bought it. We broke the rental agreement, agents found new tenants, we paid the letting fees and advertising fees, and lost, I think a weeks worth of rent for the gap in tenants. All in all, we lost, I think about $1000. The house we bought was a massive bargain though so losing $1k was nothing in that sense.

If you can get new tenants quickly and the landlord approves them, then you should only stand to lose a few hundred. But if it's a difficult house to re-let, or the agent and landlord decide to play games, then you could be in for a fair loss.

The good thing is, no sensible landlord likes an empty house because of the risk, so most Landlords know that it's in their best interests to get a new tenant even if the outgoing tenant is liable for rent until the end of the contract.

Anyway... We've moved on :)

mittweit, Natalie sounds amazing and in your case I think this worked out wonderfully!

Love that she offered to get uniforms for you as well - what a sweetheart! :)

• 5 months later...

Wow. I need to find me a Natalie! Do you think she gives therapy? The way I feel today, I might need it!