Anybody else off to Adelaide soon or hoping to go there?

Rhino1

Hi peeps, are there any other folks off to Adelaide or hoping to settle there? What is your reason for going South and what attracts you to the area?

Very close friends of ours are hoping to settle there.

If you want to chat to them, send me a PM with your details and I will forward to them.

• Like 1

I love Adelaide. We considered moving there for a long time and more than once. I have family there and they love it. We've been many times.

The reasons we really like the idea of living there:

- Relatively affordable house prices

- Can live further out and not have to spend hours commuting

- Can live a slower pace of life but still have access to most things a big city offers

- Relaxed atmosphere. Driving in Adelaide is so.... calm!

- Great place to raise a family

But unfortunately, the one over-riding negative we came up against was:

- good jobs are scarce and salaries are low (in our line of work and compared to Melbourne)

We just couldn't take the leap for that reason. Perhaps we're being too picky, but it's a pretty big issue for us.

Edited by HansaPlease
  • Like 1

Ditto on what Hansa said. It totally depends on what you are looking for. We wanted the quality of life vs the salary. In Melbourne both hubby and I could probably be earning 20K each more than we are here in Adelaide BUT we have just bought a beautiful house less than 1km away from a great beach for 400K. Can't do that in Melbourne for that price. We wanted the relaxed way of life. Had the rat race in Johannesburg and didn't want it anymore. We are very happy with our decision to come to Adelaide. Good luck

• Like 3

After living in Sydney for 1.5 years, i can give you an endless list of reasons why we now live in Adelaide :)

• Like 2

Hi, pragmatically it's where we could get state sponsorship, but having said this, it's about quality of life, affordability, access to great universities, big arts and culture, meditteranean climate, coastal environment. While there are some economic issues, it's a state with huge growth potential and a place I believe that my kids have a future in.

SA 489 Visa invitation received 5 Nov 2013, so we're on the home stretch.

• Like 2

We're in adelaide. Our choice was based on the job I could get and we live in the North, because it's close to the Mawson Lakes campus of UniSA where I work. Most of the far North seems to be a bit hairy, but Mawsons nice.

We are going over on State sponsorship, but also a place that we would have considered regardless. We live in the country side of Gauteng now, so Adelaide would be perfect for us. More relaxed atmosphere. Not sure about jobs yet, we still have a while to go before our Visa grants.

I guess whichever part of Australia you end up in, there will be the pluses and minuses.

My mate from Port Elizabeth that I've got to know these past three years, has just flown over from Adelaide to Sydney for a few days last week visiting his son and daughter-in-law.

Their son has bought a place on the North Shore of Sydney, on 400 sq metres of land, within 5 mins of the Sydney Harbour ferry (15 min crossing) for the sum of Aust $1.4 million (14 million Rands!)

For less than half that price, my own son, newly wed last March, is now looking at buying a place here in South Australia, up in the Adelaide Hills. It won't be a 400 sq m postage stamp of land. His heart seems to be set on buying a piece of land (over 30 hectares), a small three bedroomed home on it, plus a shed. He'll put in an offer below the asking price, as one might expect, but he wants some land to run a few cows on the weekend, cut and bale the hay each year and have great views along with good public and private schools in the district (the school bus stop into Mount Barker is only a 5 min bike ride to get to for the kids down a dirt track each day).

I guess it depends on what sort of personality we have, our upbringing and what we expect in life.

My own sister in London, lives in an old Edwardian house built 100 years ago. Now in her fifties, she is mortgaged up to the hilt, has no car but enjoys the city lifestyle of London for what it has to offer.

My son on the other hand, just turned 30, is an outdoors-type character who has his own mechanical workshop in a nearby town up in the Adelaide Hills, needs to shoot and fish, drives a big car and loves the bush. His love is little more than having a few mates round for a braai and riding a dirt bike across his land checking his stock (cattle and sheep) out. His plan is to make the land pay for itself each year with the returns on the hay bales and the stock going off to market (A$20 K) and can run it mainly on Saturdays which he has free.

http://www.popenitschke.com.au/buy-rural-real-estate/rural-92-lakeview-drive-mount-barker-sa-31058158501#

Whatever lifestyle you choose to follow, I wish you luck. Australia's a great place for families.

Edited by Bob

• 1 month later...

There are so many South African making Adelaide their home.Some good points in the above discussion. No regrets that we made the choice to move here.

Wiltonest, how long have you been there now, and what is the key positives to Adelaide for you? We are planning on booking our tickets the moment we get the visa. Cant wait. Someone also told me that there is a lot of flies? is it really that bad?

Wiltonest, how long have you been there now, and what is the key positives to Adelaide for you? We are planning on booking our tickets the moment we get the visa. Cant wait. Someone also told me that there is a lot of flies? is it really that bad?

Been here a couple of years now and loving it.

Flies! Bliksem!

The flies are different than in SA. South African flies land on :censored: then land on your food and wipe their feet! herethey ignore your food and concentrate upon going in your ear, nose, mouth or eyes!!! Most of the year they are not a problem. Just a few weeks in summer depending upon the rain and breeding patern. it's not something unique to Adelaide though. We went to melbourne and I ate a fly within minutes of getting there! Most of the time they are not aproblem but one Aussie fly does the work of 20! Once it has you in it's sights it won't give up!

Enjoy your journey, it's going to be worth it.

Thanks wiltonest! Good to know they are not a pest for toooo long :)

• 2 months later...

We loved adelaide when we went on our lsd. Really hope to settle there, or in sydney (hills area). Within weeks of getting (or not getting) our visa.

• 1 month later...

Hoping to be in Adelaide by October, wife and kids to follow as soon as school year is finished in December. Have a good friend in Birkenhead that I am fortunate enough to have accommodation with. Been there twice on holidays and love the place.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been in Addies for 3 years this month. Cannot be more happier - really! Winters are so much better (in my opinion) than cold Jhb winters! Summer can be a scorcher but you do adjust.

We have amazing (did I say amazing) beaches! Beautiful surrounds and although Adelaide is really big (to what I thought it would be), it is a very relaxed atmosphere. I have only had 2 incidents where I got enraged when driving (in 3 yrs)!

We recently visited my brother in Melbourne, and although it is such a beautiful place, the traffic was insane! The amount of people everywhere was insane!! The city is HUGE and SO SO crowded!

Adelaide is the perfect fit for our family - we really love it here :ilikeit:

• Like 2