Hairdressing

Lady

I think that most hairdressers do find work in salons.............but many don't stay there because of the unsociable hours and the pay is not great..................many set up home salons or mobile salons and come to you.

I live in a small town and we have many home hairdressers, and when you find a good one the feeling is the same as finding a wonderful Doctor......................my hairdresser has just left town :cry: so I will have to try and find someone with the talent she had.

some are cutting edge :blush:

• Like 2

Lady, I thought I would comment, being a hairdresser myself. There are loads of work here. Salon conditions (and your rights) are good and well protected. Hours are as "bad" as they have always been for hairdressers around the world. But hey, if you have always worked on a Sat (like 99.9% of us), then its just the same old normal. I dont regret coming to Aus for a minute. Thing is here......the government (out of the goodness of their hearts) sets a salary scale, called an Award Wage. Its meant as a base rate, protecting you from exploitation. Sadly (in my opinion) many salons use this as a true guide. This puts me as a senior hairdresser at 40 on $19.83 per hour. This might be fine anywhere else in NSW, but in Sydney this is ludicrous. I could not survive as a single person on this. Funny fact, my husband is in IT and in RSA I earned more than him, in London our earnings were on par, here he would earn my weekly pay in less than a day. My niece, fresh out of school did a week swim teacher training and immediately earns $25 a hour in the pool. Things are a bit warped like that here. Luckily I dont have to really work, so I work from home on a part time basis. (Otherwise I would start talking to myself :wacko:) By all means come, its so worth it, but bear this in mind.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/industries/hair-and-beauty/pay/pages/pay-and-conditions-guides.aspx

Rozellem is spot on, it is really funny here how some occupations are remunerated.................another thing I want to point out is that if you are in a big city, ther is more competition so even if you work from home you have to keep your prices competitive.............now in my small town there is no such thing and you all would be horrified at the prices we pay :(

Wish I could find a proper hairdresser. Have been to 2 different salons and was not happy with either results. Third time lucky?

Wish I could find a proper hairdresser. Have been to 2 different salons and was not happy with either results. Third time lucky?

Keep trying............word of mouth is also good, if you have a local facebook community group or business page, go on there and ask for recommendations for good hairdressers.

• Like 1