Doom and gloom?

Gillian1

Hi All

I've been following a number of posts recently and I'm feeling rather freaked out at the negativity surrounding finding work in Australia. Is this a common experience? Has anybody found work? I'm not naïve, I certainly don't think it will be easy but I'd like to think it may be possible?

Any thoughts?

Hi Gillian

Yes a fair few people have found work. some from the South African side even!

A few forumites who moved over have found work within a month or less and a few took a little longer. Gideon, Brad, HEOJ are just a few I can think of who found work quite quickly.

Hopefully some more will comment....it is tougher than it was a few years ago, but there is still work and most people seem to be getting work in their field albeit sometimes at a ,more junior level.

Our elections are over, so things are picking up a bit, although it will quieten down again come December and January.

• Like 1

Hi AndreaL

Thank you so much for your reply. I was feeling a bit downhearted. I'm glad to hear that there are those that it has worked out for. Thank you also for the explanation around the elections and December/January downturn. This helps to put things in a context.

I appreciate your reply!

The market is tough at the moment, but I recon it should get better in the new year... :)

• Like 1

@Erik, thank you for the reply. I'd be willing to do just about anything as long as I can feed my family and pay the bills :)

@GideonVD...here's looking forward to the new year!

Well lets turn the story on it's head. Upcoming jobs blood bath in South Africa and then add etoll to that. If you white with no job in South Africa you stuffed time to learn about squatter life...

http://www.iol.co.za/business/companies/retail-sector-job-cuts-may-trigger-recession-1.1594563

• Like 1

Something to consider is that some global companies here too are going through second retrenchments and down to 3-4 work day weeks. And here you are an english-speaking migrant so you going to struggle either country.

Here depending on your visa status you may have access to some social relief vs UIF in SA. We blessed with PR status.

Its safer

There is a major downturn worldwide so we praying for a better 2014.

Edited by May