Hello!

Beverleyjh

Hi everyone!

I'm so glad this forum was recommended to me.

We (my husband and I and our 7 year old triplets) have just started this journey. We are, needless to say, scared and anxious but also excited and happy...

I'm sure there'll be many more posts and questions from me.

• Like 1

Welcome welcome! It is a very scary time but we will support each other all the way. Dont be afraid to ask questions. Good luck with everything.

Welcome! This forum has been the most helpful resource for us and I'm sure it will bring you lots of support on this journey.

Edited by Gillian1

Welcome!! im also new and still stumbling around. i have a question though, why is the IELTS SOOOO expensive R2300??? but if we are english speaking, then we dont have to take it - am i right?

Welcome!! im also new and still stumbling around. i have a question though, why is the IELTS SOOOO expensive R2300??? but if we are english speaking, then we dont have to take it - am i right?

Hey , regardless if you are an English speaker or not you have to do the IELTS as the main applicant . Depending on your skills assessment there may even be a certain mark you have to achieve. If you are the secondary applicant you can use other ways of proving your English ability. It's very expensive and not as easy as you think.

Welcome to one of the most amazing forums!!

It has been my crutch and venting place for some time now.

Any questions you have will be answered here and the friends on this forum are more than willing to help.

Good luck with the journey.

(Triplets, SJOE I take my hat of too you...)

welcome and good luck!

This place is a fantastic resource so I'm sure you'll find all the info you need :)

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Hey , regardless if you are an English speaker or not you have to do the IELTS as the main applicant . Depending on your skills assessment there may even be a certain mark you have to achieve. If you are the secondary applicant you can use other ways of proving your English ability. It's very expensive and not as easy as you think.

Ditto to the above. My husband is the main applicant and will be doing the IELTS later this month. I however also need to proof my english - there is a few ways to do this. Does anyone here know about the ACCESS test?

Hi Beverleyjh, welcome to the forum and good luck with the rest of the journey. It is scary but at the same time it is the most awesome journey you will ever take. It teaches you things about yourself and gives you the strength to achieve things you never thought possible.

Hi there! Welcome! Yes, this journey can be scary but just reminding yourself why you are doing this. It helps a lot! Also, a lot of people will be negative about your move but just deal with them and then keep going! Good luck!

welcome to you and your family - this is the best site on the internet - its wikipedia, google, facebook, therapy and support and linkedin all on the one site :ilikeit::congratulations:

Hi Beverley

Welcome to the forum, I hope you spend many happy hours posting, reading and sharing.

Batman4eva, unless you hold a UK, US and a few other passports I can't quite remember now, or can prove that you have had more than 5 years of schooling in English, or done a degree or trade where the instruction was all in English, you will most likely have to do the test...........also the type of test, academic or general is dependent on occupation, or type of visa.

English language
The threshold English language requirement is Competent English, which is an International English
Language Testing System (IELTS) test result showing a minimum score of 6 in each of the four
components of the IELTS test or, an Occupational English Test (OET) attaining a score of at least B in
each of the four components of an OET as specified by the Minister. For some occupations, the
assessing authority may require a higher level of English as part of their skills assessment process.
You also meet the English language threshold if you hold a valid passport from, and are a citizen of, one
of the following countries:
the
United
Kingdom;
the
United
States
of
America;
Canada;
the
Republic
of
Ireland;
or
New Zealand

Booklet 6 contains all the info needed for a killed independent application, page 10 and 22 for language requirements http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/1119.pdf

Even some people who hold those passports undertake the IELT's in order to get the points needed for a visa.

The following is copied from a thread in British Expats

If you hold an eligible passport (i.e. UK, US, Canadian, NZ or Republic
of Ireland), then you can use that as your evidence of English language
ability. If you hold one of those passports but are short on points,
you can take the test to boost your points. You can get twenty points
for a score of eight in each band, ten points for a score of seven in
each band, but no points at all for scoring six in each band.

If you don't hold an eligible passport, then taking the IELTS test
mandatory. You would need to have taken it before you submit your EoI.
If you are a health practitioner, then you could alternately take the
OET test instead of IELTS.

thanks everyone for the advise on the IELTS. i did a practice test yesterday......didnt do too badly so i think we'll be ok.im still not keen on using an agent. i dont have R110 000.00 lying around. any ideas?

Hi Batman4eva

My husband, 2 kids and I have been doing this process without an agent. If you would like to send me a personal message with any questions you may have please do, I am happy to share what we have learnt along the way. Although everyone's journey is different I am happy to guide you through the steps that I know of.

Hi Beverleyjh

Welcome to the forum and I can only agree wholeheartedly with the others who say that this place was invaluable for us, and continues to be a mine of information!

If you're the secondary applicant, if you can provide proof of having studied for 5 years at school or varsity in English (check the rules for details) you don't need to take the test. If the practice tests are going ok, yuo should be fine. Just keep alert, practice listening to the accent on that tape and - if you're like me someone who uses a keyboard for everything - practice writing with a pencil!

Edited by ronfire

Thanks Ronfire. i must admit, i havent attempted the "Essay" test....was scared of that damn pencil. !

Welcome and good luck!

We have been so lucky with all the help that we received and there are always formunites who will answer your question, no matter how silly they seem.

Edited by snkc