Dependants

carolandfamily

Hi there - my grandchildren are on their dad's visa - he has been in Aus for five years and is waiting for his PR to be approved. Does anyone know whether they can go over to Aus in the meantime - would it be on his visa? They want to go and stay with family in Melbourne and start working - is this possible. Does anyone know of someone in Cape Town who can advise on this?

Welcome carolandfamily.

I would personally not think so, but don't quote me.

Certain someone on here would know and will help you.

Perhaps you can give us the kids ages so long (start working I am thinking they must be over 18)?

Good luck with the journey.

Oh goodness, sorry I have no idea. Hopefulle one of the agents on the forum will be able to help you.

Good luck!

Oh goodness, sorry I have no idea. Hopefully one of the agents on the forum will be able to help you.

Good luck!

I don't understand? Are they on his work visa or on the new PR aplication? I would guess if they are on his work visa, they should be able to go, but if it's on the PR, they would have to wait for that to be approved.

We are not sure of which one they are on - probably work visa - they are 23 and 21 years old. Do you know who they can contact to get the aproval or do they just apply to go or do they travel on their father's visa? His immigration lawyer does not communicate with us so we are unsure. My granddaughter wants to go to Melbourne end of April as my family are there - does she need to find a job before she goes? :)

If they were included in his original 457 application 5 years ago they can come over on that. Has he included them in his p.r. visa application? They can only be included on his visa if they are dependent on him financially or studying, if they have worked in RSA it is unlikely that they could be included and would have to apply for their own skilled visas.

Your grandaughter would have difficulty finding a job from RSA and can only apply for a job if she has a visa with work rights, i.e. either on her Father's 457 or p.r. South Africans do not qualify for a holiday work visa. You need to speak to their Dad and find out if he included the kids in his applications.

If they were not included in either visa application then their only option is a tourist visa with no work rights or to see if they qualify for a skilled visa of their own.

You say that their Dad has a p.r. application lodged.........he may want to think about providing a change of circumstance form and if he can prove they are financially dependent on him there may be a chance, however, if they were not included in his 457 application I am not sure how DIBP would view this.

I just want to add that without all the information I am just giving you a rough summation of the options, he really should consult his immigration lawyer, if paying for his service, he should be firm about feedback from him.