Be carefull, be very carefull !

HadEnoughofJuju

oooo.... archery... :D

HEOJJ... that sucks beyond belief. Especially in IT, it could be argued that any place that uses the same skills as yours is a "competitor", making it impossible because where exactly are you supposed to go if they treat you badly? But maybe that's the point, they don't want you to be able to go.

As a last resort though, what about contacting the ACS and explaining the situation? I don't think you need to dig down, just say the place you worked for x many years was livid that you decided to go to a different company in the same field and refused to give you any kind of documentation, and ask for their advice on what else they would consider as acceptable proof of employment for that period of time? Could be worth doing this regardless - at least then you will know for sure exactly what you need/what they will accept and if this is in any way possible for you?

@Ronfire, I have always wanted to do archery and have been fascinated by the sport since I was about 7 years old so who knows, maybe I'll do it one day.

@McCabes, I guess once I settle down a bit more and get that precious Aussie experience behind my name I will revisit the whole RPL thing or maybe even look at a course or 2.

• Like 2

I'm sure this will set the cat among the pigeons, but I have to put in my 2 bob.

Australia is the easiest country in the world for S.Africans to assimmilate into, be happy and succeed. Just look at the culture, sport, social life, humour, work ethic, the list goes on. I really do find a lot of these posts over-dramatic, and indeed it gives the impression that a lot of forumites are a wee bit "presh"! Roller-coaster rides etc. etc.

Come on okes: the Aussies love our accent, our sport, our willingness to cop it on the chin and especially to bok them at their own game.

Just get on with it. If you can't make it here get shot or knifed in S.A!

No-one said it would be easy, but it's really not that difficult.

When I got here many years ago everyone bent over backwards to ease my situation. A smile here goes a long way.

So hou die blinkkant bo and look on the bright side. This truly is a lucky country, and it's the people who make it so.

Good luck to you all. Get the visa and the rest will take care of itself.

• Like 4

Agreed 100% l2bh. People moan by nature, and there will always be challenges in life when relocating, but to be honest, I think it would have been more difficult to move from Cape Town to JHB than it was for us to move to Melbourne. And I'm not even bringing crime into the equation.

Right or wrong, people of European descent are welcomed with open arms by almost all Aussies. I'm guessing many Saffers suffer because their written and spoken English isn't great, but Australia is far more accomodating in that regard than anywhere else in the world.

However, if you expect to land a cushy job here that pays three times what you got back in SA, or if you think it's easy to start a new career without appropriate experience and qualifications, you might be in for a rude awakening. It really is wonderful in Australia, and as long as you don't have widly unrealistic expectations, you'll struggle to find a better place in the world to call home.

It boggles my mind that some people are so unhappy here that they decide to go back to SA :o

• Like 1

I'm guessing many Saffers suffer because their written and spoken English isn't great.

Everyone's allowed their their own opinions, but if you think South African immigrants struggle to settle in Aus because of the above, you are so barking up the wrong tree. Do you remember the IELTS test? If only the "problem" with uprooting yourself and moving to the other side of the world was that simple. Most people will agree that it is a much more complex emotional thing, different for everybody and quite complex to "fix". Glad for you that you found it a breeze. I did too, for the first 4 years. Then suddenly I saw grandparent with kids everywhere and my long planned babysitter gets the flu and suddenly you realise "this is @#$%&! unnatural". No amount of friends, neighbours, money or grasp of the English language can conjure up my kids grandparents.

• Like 4

Wow, I'm loving this thread. The great thing about our forum is the honesty, it's not always easy to do so, but I feel when someone is as honest as HEOJ that it opens the doors for others to come forward and share.

I really think Ronfire has a point. Citizenship is the end game we all aim for, I've even likened it to the final part of the puzzle or journey, so it is really odd to get to that point and think "well what now".

You've spent so many years almost proving yourself to get a visa, get your skills recognised, go for p.r. if you came on a temp visa like us, moving around, fitting in.............and if I am really honest, I've tended to find that the men have it really hard in some respects in starting at new workplaces after building yourself and your reputation in your previous workplace, and then suddenly finding yourself at the bottom of the pecking order.......or even those who come into management roles have to adjust their methods of dealing with people etc..........and the proving yourself continues until you go for that citizenship, believing this is the final hoop to jump through and then.............................

we sort of hit a speed bump, a " well what do we do now?"......................not in terms of even thinking about South Africa much anymore, for many years Australia has been our home, but more of a "well what goal do we set now?"

Looking back I can see a lot of "when we get p.r. we will be able to do this"...........and when we get citizenship we'll be able to do this".......statements from myself.

I think I managed to live life through all of those "when we" moments, but I have to admit that a tiny bit of adrenalin and fear...."what if we don't get p.r. or citizenship?" ran through me for years and now that it is not there I think I will have to find a new buzz.......lol

• Like 3

Everyone's allowed their their own opinions, but if you think South African immigrants struggle to settle in Aus because of the above, you are so barking up the wrong tree. Do you remember the IELTS test? If only the "problem" with uprooting yourself and moving to the other side of the world was that simple. Most people will agree that it is a much more complex emotional thing, different for everybody and quite complex to "fix". Glad for you that you found it a breeze. I did too, for the first 4 years. Then suddenly I saw grandparent with kids everywhere and my long planned babysitter gets the flu and suddenly you realise "this is @#$%&! unnatural". No amount of friends, neighbours, money or grasp of the English language can conjure up my kids grandparents.

Of course there are sacrifices and challenges. I'm sorry if it appeared as though I pretended these don't exist, but I thought it's obvious to everyone that some support structures will be left behind. For us, much of the same would have applied if we moved to JHB from Cape Town.

Some people are more emotionally attached to family, friends and housekeepers than others, I guess. We didn't rely on our (single set of) parents to babysit our daughter, which made it easier not to miss something we never really grew used to. I don't think it will suddenly hit us as unnatural years down the line, as a result.

I absolutely agree with you that it is an individual and very complex issue. And I specifically said language is not a barrier, because Australia is very multicultural. While I know of a few couples who have returned to SA because their kids struggle to adapt to tuition in English, my statement was perhaps a bit too sweeping :D

I'm not sure what relevance IELTS has, unless you're saying that it means everyone in Australia speaks English good?

I get me some popcorn, kicks off me shoes and watches with interest. :P

• Like 5

Put that popcorn down HEOJ............lol. I also read Abha93's original post and thought gee, he's been here so long he's probably forgotten some of the early days tough times.............but we are much like him, we have always lived very far from family and never had the support systems that many have had, so it just feels as if we are in much the same position as in RSA, just the distance is further.............................but......................

Yesterday I was facebooking to my Dad and my daughter (14) was sitting with me, she said " it's funny thinking of you having a Dad" and I said, " I have a Mum too", so she said, but you're a Mum, how can you have a Mum" to which I replied, "My Mum has a Mum too, she is my granny and your great granny"......................................and then I did feel a bit sad that she doesn't know all of them.....................................and they are spread over the world, some in RSA and the rest in UK and Ireland.

I'm not sure what relevance IELTS has, unless you're saying that it means everyone in Australia speaks English good?

I think rozellem was just alluding to the fact that they make sure your English proficiency is at an acceptable standard before you even make it over to Australia and thereby debunking your statement about the language barrier being part of the problem.

On a side note - Has anyone ever read these long threads and viewed the first few posts and then the last few? The change of topics are hilarious. Some of my own have ended up on opposite ends of the spectrum a few times. Just thought I'd point it out.

We all struggle with different facets of this whole emmigration drama and the experience will be different for us all. I know for a fact that my experience will be worlds apart from my wife's for example, because we are different people and our perceptions and perspectives are different as well. There will be good parts to it and there will be tough parts to it and we need to respect each others journeys.

The "build a bridge and get over it" argument isn't really fair, especially not on a forum like this. Let the people moan if they want to because it's an outlet and having people to talk to that know what you're going through and can help share the load is an inexpressible comfort to many, and a valuable source of information to boot. The whole point of it is to be able to share in the triumphs as well as the struggles because even though we can see the evidence that we should, generally, all be better off in the end... knowing that doesn't necessarily alleviate the stresses and strains of the journey we're currently on and I say again that each journey is unique. To quote a good friend of mine, Mr Morpheus himself..."There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path..." :P

• Like 1

... just want to say, I think it's this kind of thread that enables the rest of us who aren't there yet, to form realistic expectations.

It's like someone telling you how wonderful a movie is - the BEST ever, and you watch it and think: really?

At the same time, someone else might tell you something is the biggest fail of the year, and you watch it and love it.

We're all unique, we bring our own viewpoint and see things through the lens of our own experiences. I'm honestly really glad that a lot of people land there and litterally feel like ducks finally returned to water. But that's not the case for everyone, and threads like this make me reevaluate how I'm thinking about everything, and set more realistic expectations.

rozelle, I agree with you, but the unfortunate truth is that while many people may have family nearby, not every family feels that need/obligation/desire to help and support each other. My mom, now that she is in the same province, is the typical sitcom gran, bakes, loves our kids, babysits any and everytime we need it. But that's just been this year. Before that, the only family nearby was the in-laws, and they will not help. they have stated without any exceptions that they will only help in an emergency. Families are complicated whether you're close or far. My sister (who lives in the UK) has said there are major pros and cons to being far away. Pro: you don't have any of the family politics, no-one has any comments or judgements on how you are raising your kids. At the same time, the main con is that you have to do it all yourself. We're still used to it - I've managed all 3 kids on my own all week because hubby was working literally round the clock. When you accept that sometimes, it's just what it is, it gets easier to adapt and cope.

BUT, and a big but, I don't think it's the natural state of affairs. I look at other families and wish we had that kind of support. But that's not going to be a reality for us, in any country.

Lol Mac, I have noticed that threads tend to wander off topic quite often, but then - what conversation doesn't ;)

Re threads wandering off topic, it is a natural thing..............once upon a time someone would get the heeby geebies and put up the "off topic" emoticon and everyone would then dutifully go back to the topic at hand.

Sometimes it is necessary to split a thread if it has split into two distinct threads and both are important, but personally, I think if we were all at a braai together or something, our conversation would naturally meander from one topic to the next and back....................and I think sometimes as we go off topic, we share more and are more honest, which is probably more helpful in a way.

I have split this thread. You will now find all talk about braaing under settling in, titled Braais, Bbq's and Barbies. http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/41271-braais-bbqs-and-barbies/ Please, those of you in Australia, please share your hints, tips, experiences, good buys etc and let the good folks know we still do it with style down under.

Hey Andrea, thanks. Now with the onions gone I have nothing to blame the tears on. :cry:

It's a long shot but maybe you can blame it on the whiplash from the topic changes...??

Or drop a beer, that's a good enough reason to cry.

• Like 1