Are Saffers accepted in the Oz workplace? My experience

DavidJames

Absolutely spot on David, especially 2 and 5.

If you try and promote yourself and not be part of the team ( there's no I in team) you'll make yourself a target.

Sense of humour, self depreciating and taking the p**s.......probably the most important part in acceptance, once the Aussies give you a nickname you know you're "in".

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing. I have been more than a little worried about the fitting in...but wallflower I can do!

Thanks for that, all makes sense, everyones ride is different, its what you make of it.............I have no option to make it work, this is a one way trip

Thanks!!! I love to hear from people who are there and have been there for some time.

Bum up head down is what we are SO used to and hard work doesn't scare us.

Looking forward to my first nervous day...

Great post and I can identify with it so much...

Have earned my nickname after just 4 months in my new job so must be doing something right...

I do agree on Aussies being nitpicky - initially found it to be a tad overkill and took it personally only to realize that's just how it is done mate! I guess coming from Africa we had more of a "boer maak 'n plan" approach to dealing with work issues and situations.

Hey David thanks for sharing. I must be well liked by my boss then, he can't stop taking the micky.

Yes thanks for your post. As some times I get a bit worried with what I read on the forum but the way you explained it, it makes sense don't take everything personal.

Oh and stay positive, whatever it takes. You can't always choose what happens to you but you can choose how you respond. Be kind to yourself and your loved ones during this time of readjusting and finding your feet.

Don't be afraid to ask how things are done. I find my Aussie workmates very supportive of one another and very welcoming to someone who makes the effort.

As an Aussie, agree completely with the OP's comments. We really do only take the mickey if we like you :blush:

Sounds like you've settled in well. Well done :ilikeit:

Well, I've been working now for a month and all I can say is, it will be confusing as hell. Dificult to let go of your reference framework for the RSA office environment. But I reckon I'm getting there slowly, my collegues now chat more freely and we all make jokes. I still try maintain a wallflower approuch, but it is difficult. I sometimes wonder each morning, "Will I make it?". :|

my advice is that if you are a manager, be very very careful on how you manage people - you ask people to do things you dont tell them - if you know what i mean

• 3 weeks later...

I have been here almost one year - working hard, but no complaints. People are more informal here, very first name approach. The slang is also something to get used to , but I'm getting there. No worries, too easy

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Exactly how it is. Get to work on time, don't complain about anyone and how they do their job. Just do your best. At the office party let your hair down and have a few drinks. Dont say when I was in SA this is how we did it, uh. uh, no no. If you work hard you will get some form of recognition. Do not be a tall poppy. Do not think that anyone is beneath you. Dont think you dress better, have better manners or speak better, it will show and it wont go down well. yes...no I..only we..the team and us...If you dont understand please ask...dont be shy either...confidence wins here. Once you are accepted...then you can start having a few jokes about your cultural differences which will actually amuse you how funny SA's actually are...take life too seriously. Anyway I agree totally with the above comments...just had to add to confirm

Maybe its just me... but Aussies seem to like me more when they know I am South Africa. We have even had people strike up conversations with us just because they heard our South African accents.

I would just like to add one important point. In South Africa, you are put on a pedestal if you are skilled at something. That's because there is such a skills shortage and replacing someone skilled can be very hard.

In Australia its no big deal if you are a Charted Accountant or highly trained IT person. Thanks to the VISA system, they can always replace you with someone more skilled.

As DavidJames pointed out, you want to be that person who is fun to work with and the person who always gets their job done.

As an aussie I suggest you bring home made baked goods every Friday for morning tea...this would get you in my good books for sure...

• Like 3

As an aussie I suggest you bring home made baked goods every Friday for morning tea...this would get you in my good books for sure...

As an Aussie.................LOL.....did you see that coming Fish? I've been an Aussie for a couple of years now................I concur................................you will only get on in the workplace if you bring huge quantities of delicious food.....................don't take yourself too seriously.................and never think you are above any task ;)

True! For those that don't know...'morning tea' is a bit of an institution in the Australia workplace. It takes place at around 10am and involves cakes, biscuits, anything like that. Tea is not really the point...

'Tea' on the other hand means supper. If Australians invite you for tea at 6pm there is no need to go to Maccas on the way. Rather take a bottle of wine and some nice crisps & dip or something similar.

Edited by Bronwyn&Co