Aussie Citizen Living in South Africa looking for a Job in Aus

IvanDadic

Hi all,

I'm an Aussie Citizen living in South Africa at the moment ( actually all my life ). I want to emigrate to Aus ( I know I'm in a very fortunate situation and it's as easy as hop on a plane and I'm there but what about employment?

I'm terrified of the fact that when I move I might not be able to find a job. Has anyone experienced the same feeling? I've been trying to apply for jobs on "seek", but it seems nobody is interested to help because I'm still in SA.

If anyone has tips or advice I'd greatly appreciate it.

To end off, hopefully we can meet sometime down under.

Ivan

Welcome, glad to see there more of us folks here. A couple of things to keep in mind. As a citizen you are not restricted like the PR folks to the 2 year wait for centerlink assistance story, you are able to claim all and everything, i.e. new start allowance etc from day 1. Some are means tested and have criteria i.e. if you have a certain amount of savings you can't access them until you savings are depleted etc.

In addition you don't have restrictions on who you can work for etc, i.e. government jobs are open to you. So you have a much wider pool of choice.

Look lets be honest, there is very little to lose and everything to gain actually, its dead !@#$ easy for us mate. I can't wait to get out of this place next year.

Your chances will greatly improve once you get to Aus. Not many employers would entertain thoughts of employing a foreigner without having laid eyes on them unless they filled a serious skills gap.

Speaking of skills, what work are you actually looking for?

Welcome, glad to see there more of us folks here. A couple of things to keep in mind. As a citizen you are not restricted like the PR folks to the 2 year wait for centerlink assistance story, you are able to claim all and everything, i.e. new start allowance etc from day 1. Some are means tested and have criteria i.e. if you have a certain amount of savings you can't access them until you savings are depleted etc.

In addition you don't have restrictions on who you can work for etc, i.e. government jobs are open to you. So you have a much wider pool of choice.

Look lets be honest, there is very little to lose and everything to gain actually, its dead !@#$ easy for us mate. I can't wait to get out of this place next year.

Hi, thank you.

We are looking to move sometime next year as well. But could go earlier if I found a job from here, which I know is extremely tough.

Thank you for the advice. I reckon once I'm over it shouldn't take too long to find a job ( Holding thumbs ).

I'm on the same page as you, literally cannot wait to get out of here.

Your chances will greatly improve once you get to Aus. Not many employers would entertain thoughts of employing a foreigner without having laid eyes on them unless they filled a serious skills gap.

Speaking of skills, what work are you actually looking for?

Hey Hansa ( By far the best beer I tell you )

I've got +-7 years experience in financial services & accounting field. I'm looking at doing the CPA qualification once I'm in Aus. I've also dabbled a little in new business development after hours and on weekends for additional income.

I see you've been in Aus for sometime now, any regrets? Have you only lived in Melbourne? Were you able to find employment easily? ( apologies for the 101 questions.)

Thank you for the reply.

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

No regrets. Yes, we've been in Melbourne all this time. Admittedly it took me a while to really feel settled because we initially chose the wrong suburb. Our commute was too far. Now that we live in a suburb we love, closer to work, our lives have changed for the better and we enjoy it here. For a while we considered Adelaide but the jobs just aren't there. Or at least well paid jobs.

I was able to find work easily, within about a month over Christmas time, but that was a long time ago. I had to take a step back to get a foot in the door but I have since progressed fairly well.

More than happy to answer questions if I can help.