Employment Opportunities for those in their 50's

Grenadilla

Hi,

I would like to hear from people that migrated to Australia in their early/mid-fifties, and succeeded in finding a management position (in the IT field, specifically). Did you find that you were less marketable at that age?

I have read on the forums that (understandably) if you don't have Australian experience, that also reduces your chances a bit of finding a position, so many people start with a lower position than what they are used to. That is not a problem to ME, but it would make sense to me that companies may be even less likely to hire a “golden oldie” in a junior position than a senior one ;)

For now, I just want to get an idea of marketability for management positions at this age if you are a new immigrant.

Has anyone been through a similar process?

Thanks.

Hi there

I'm not too sure about options for migrating once you are in your 50's other than business investment or retirement type visas, and irrespective of age, most people have to take a position a few rungs down from where they were as essentially they are untested in terms of Australian work experience.

Grenadilla, 2 things spring to mind, it depends & it's the luck of the draw. The reason why I say this is because my Husband had no problem finding a job at 54 & then moved onto greener pastures @ 56 & on the same level as in RSA. He did have to go for about 4 different interviews though, the first time round & one of the Companies did say they had a young team & he wouldn't fit in. Next Company had a mixed bunch & the Owner who is about mid 40's was happy to have a more mature person on board as he felt my Husband could mentor the younger people. So that's why I say it depends, it depends on the culture of the Company - if they want someone with a lot of experience, chances are they will look at a more mature person.

For me, it was the luck of the draw. I had not worked for about 3 years before we left South Africa, so decided I would like something at a lower level, to get a feel for things & alas was told I was over qualified, then I applied for a Maternity Leave Contract & my Husband had dealings with the Manager & I made it to interview stage. At the interview, the Manager & I got on well, and I really hit it off with the State Manager & I got the job & I still have contact with the staff after almost 2 years of leaving.

Since then, I have not had any problem finding a job, it's being happy in one that has been the problem, mainly because I had to move out of the arena I was in, because most of the work I do has gone over to Melbourne/Sydney, so I had to retrain as a Broker & the youngsters that have been with the Company longer, seem to be a bit resentful that I might overtake them because I have more experience.

My hubby at 56 got a prize position from SA into Sydney in IT however the lifestyle sent his blood pressure soaring now he is reskilling in Age Care and taking everything in his stride. We moving Brisbane to Perth to have a quality of life.

Edited by May

Just a question, did both of you manage to secure p.r. visas before the age cut off, or did you apply via the youngest spouses qualifications?

The important question here is being in possession of a p.r. visa when planning to migrate in your 50's.

Pleasure Grenadilla. Can't help you on the next question, because I sponsored my Hubby in on a partner visa. Hope someone else out there will be able to answer you.

AndreaL - My concern was not about how to get a visa. My question about marketability of a new immigrant in their 50's was based on the understanding that the person has a PR visa at the time of landing.

/Gren

O.K. Good to know. It wasn't clear from the post so i thought I should mention the age cut off. I think regardless of your age, new migrants tend to take a little while to get to the position they are presently in unless they have a particularly unique and scarce skill-set, however luck, timing and persistence can play a role too.

Good luck.

depends on the industry - most places the 'grey hair' expert is very marketable -

i arrived at 51 with a PR - but then it was a transfer - two years later i secured another job only presenting credentials without an interview - in the mining consultancy - think this area is very short on technical skills though - hence industry dependant

We got in on my qualifications as an accountant/ I was 39 at the time and 11 years junior my husband. Strangely enough I cant get work in the accounting field in Brisbane at least.

Henry would have got sponsored I am sure as many of his team did from India and Malaysia due to the skill shortage. He is now reskilling to work in age care after 28+ years in IT (his fellow student a civil engineer from Philipines then New Zealand/ the one thing they share is not to work Sydney).

The language Henry programs in is outdated but many mainframes in Sydney and Canberra, Darwin in Federal govt and in banking still run on it. So grey hairs are welcome.