Big Decisions

seabassvg

Hi folks.

Firstly, a fantastic forum, thank you to all the people who giver so much info so generously, it really is appreciated. As I type this, my stomach turns just thinking about the possible move to Oz, but enough about my digestive system...

I am a 39 yr old (so time is running out) professional architect from Cape Town. I have a wife, a daughter (7) and twin ( :blink: ) boys (6 months). The birth of the little critters got me seriously thinking about relocating. This has been an ongoing process, but now it seems to be more obvious.

I love South Africa and the semi rural coastal town, Noordhoek, at the tip of Cape Town, but the macro-economic indicators will not let go of the logic side of my brain. I could throw in a list of negative points to support my argument, but it would be pointless. The bottom line is that my children need the best chance that I can give them, this is my most important job on this little blue/green ball we inhabit). The choice of stability vs instability is a no-brainer.

I have been to Perth many times for business and to Sydney once for a month holiday with my sister, so I am very familiar with Oz. The idea would be to settle in Sydney, but I know it is expensive as all hell. I am in the process of getting ducks in a row and researching job opportunities, salaries, cost of living, etc. We would apply for a PR 189 visa as the bargain price of R80k (falls over and reaches for paper packet). I imagine that the whole process ill cost about R250k, but I figure that for a decision that effects the rest of my & my family's lives, it is worth every cent.

I will have lots of questions, a bother you all, but for now I need to process some thoughts & emotions and get myself to agree with myself that this is the right move.

Thanks for listening...

Regards from the Mother City

Sebastian

• Like 2

Welcome Sebastian! You have certainly come to the right place for advice and support. Wish you the best with this roller coaster ride and hope you land in Oz sooner rather than later. Have you had your skills assessed? Done the IELTS? Considered and emigration agent or going solo?

Thanks Rhino1

I am getting all the documents together for the skills assessment. They charge $1050.00 for the assessment, so I have to be sure that I have everything. The IELTS is on the list, but I have to be sure that I have the $8000.00 for the visa application ready within 6 months of the test otherwise it is not valid anymore. I have decided to go solo, there seems to be more than enough info available and the skills select program is fairly straight forward. My wife had a bad experience many years ago when they said that her Montessori qualifications would be fine, they grabbed her money and after her application was denied (because of the qualification) they just turned a blind eye.

• Like 1

Hey Sebastian, you've already survived 6 months of raising TWIN BOYS! Seriously, how hard could emigration be? :P

Welcome here and all the best!

Welcome Sebastien!!

Yep...when you got those innocent little kiddies to think about everything else changes. It is a stomach churning decision...but the best one for them most certainly.

Good luck with your research and plans. Right off the bat...get your home affairs docs into line. Unabridged Birth certificates for the whole family and unabridged marriage certificate. People (including myself) have often found HA a major problem. So the sooner you get started with that the better. And anyways those are docs you would/should want on file anyway...whether you stay or go.

Welcome. Kids sure do change your outlook and certainly make you reevaluate what you value in life.

Welcome to the forum Sebastian,

It is definitely one of the toughest decisions you will have to make in your life, but your little critters + 1 deserve a better future than what south Africa can provide.

Keep your sense of humor, accept there will be good days and bad days, the rest will fall into place.

All the very best with your plans.

Welcome! It really helps that you're already familiar with the place. Eliminates nasty surprises.

Just a theory, I find that people who still love SA struggle with the move, because they're doing it for logic, not for desire. Those who hate SA and can't wait to get out tend to settle easier.

Best of luck, just remember your reasons when times are tough!

Welcome Sebastian, I trust that your journey will be a smooth one!

welcome and all the best!!

Thanks for all the good wishes and support.

Straight off the bat, dealing with the Australian counterpart for my professional course assessment was such a pleasure. The South African one was typically useless with info. Let's hope my architecture degree is recognised by Oz, otherwise it's the end of the road and a waste of R10k....

Hi Sebastian and welcome to the forum. I think kids are possibly the single biggest motivation for tackling such a mammoth task like emigration.

This has been the bumpiest emotional roller coaster ride that I have ever been on but it has also been the most rewarding. To see my daughter happy and flourishing at school where she is actually being educated and not just entertained has made this trip worth it.

Don't ponder on the emotions too long, the more you think about it the tougher it becomes.

Wow, I tip my hat to people that have gone through, or are going through this experience. It certainly builds character. I would love to hear some of your thoughts on dealing with 'starting again'. I know this relocation is for long term benefit, but how do you deal with going from property owner to renter, and basically starting on the ground floor again. Using up all your savings, etc. My research indicates that it is unlikely that we would be able to afford to buy property in Oz in the short term, or never. It is a massive risk when you are about to hit 40 with 3 children. Essentially I am throwing my safety net and hoping that Oz will become the safety net. Maybe I am just not used to the idea of a country actually taking care of its citizens.

What are your thoughts & experiences?

Hi and welcome

This choice poses so many challenges and be ready for the wave of emotions both you and your wife will feel (and quite often opposing at different times). Something I hadn't fully anticipated was the "fallout" it causes for other people when you start getting serious about the decision. We have had some family drama and the carrying around of guilt throughout the process and I think this is normal too.

I can't help but think that it is like staring your life in the face and saying, okay, I am going to sort you out from start to finish and press re-start again. We are of a similar age - also have an established home and business here, kids go to a wonderful private school but we just want somewhere to live that is more peaceful... remember as much as you are doing it for the kids, you are doing this for yourselves too...

Wishing you well!

Hi,

Feeling the same as you Sebastian, my twins (pigeon pair just turned 6) are most probably our biggest motivator as well. Plus we have been overseas numerous times and feel there is so much more to life than just working etc…… It is all about the journey.

I am also going at it alone, and so have many other. The DIAC website has all the info and with the guys and girls on this website there are a wealth of information and more importantly they've been there, advising through experience.

My mantra for life:

“Imagine life as a game in which you are juggling some five balls in the air. You name them – Work, Family, Health, Friends and Spirit and you’re keeping all of these in the Air.

You will soon understand that work is a rubber ball. If you drop it, it will bounce back.

But the other four Balls – Family, Health, Friends and Spirit – are made of glass. If you drop one of these; they will be irrevocably scuffed, marked, nicked, damaged or even shattered. They will never be the same. You must understand that and strive for it.”

WORK EFFICIENTLY DURING OFFICE HOURS AND LEAVE ON TIME. GIVE THE REQUIRED TIME TO YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS & HAVE PROPER REST.

Coca Cola CEO Bryan Dyson

• Like 2

@Faduv, Yep I think going it alone when your circumstance is fairly straight forward is a safe bet.

While I appreciate the intention of Bryan Dyson's speech I cannot help, but think that he is perhaps aiming this message at his own senior management circle. For most people the work ball is just as fragile as the others. I doubt very much that he concerns himself with the state of his entry level laborer's balls (wait that came out wrong :) )... http://killercoke.org/crimes_china.php

@seabassvg Welcome!!

We haven't been here long so here's my 2c. Its not easy but its not the worst in the world emotions run rife at times and its in those that your character and reason for the move is truly tested.

We moved with twins(10 year old boys) and our teenage daughter. I thought that they would struggle and not fit in. They have already moved twice (from our short term rental to the long term) and changed schools. Every time I stressed about them getting settled and making friends, coping with the work etc. and every time they just got on and did what they did best....being kids and adjusting. They absolutely love it here.

What gets us through as the adults are seeing our kids happy, safe, secure and knowing they can be and get whatever they want out of life here. The world is truly their oyster.

Being a renter and not a property owner I find very tough especially with the twins. Every time I hear something break I hope its not a window or damage to the property, but having boys its to be expected. I've just taken the viewpoint that I will make this home my own for the time we are living here and whatever happens we'll fix and look after it as much as possible. The savings issue is really tough too but once you start earning dollars and can start saving you'll feel better.

All the best with the rest of the process and the paper work.

Starting Again? Well I call it adventure, we arrived with very little 19months ago and now have a whole house full of furniture and my son says I'm starting to hoard!!!

But yes it can be a little daunting, my theory is expect the worst and it can only get better from there. We are a family of 5 kids were aged 4.5yrs 13 yrs and 10yrs at the move and now are happy healthy and way too cheeky. But I love that they can ride their bikes to and from school, walk to the shops and yes 200gig of internet is NOT enough when you have teenagers, so enjoy your little tykes.

With this forum and a good positive attitude, you can make it work, remember the choice is in your hands.

Good luck and looking forward to hearing of your success story soon.

T :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Hi Sebastian...

We are in Somerset West, hubby turns 44 in December, we have failed at the IELTS, cannot afford the new visas, and the future of our Australian life lies in the hands of an unknown employer who we are eagerly waiting to sponsor us.

This is our third attempt at emigrating, so if you want to meet halfway and grab a coffee and hear some motivation to get you going, and fast, before you hit 40 and lose precious points, send me a pm ;)

GOOD LUCK! ... with this gruelling process, parting with all your hard earned dosh and raising your munchkins ;) All the best! :ilikeit:

Hi TQO. Really sorry to hear about your experience.

I was on phone today with an agent from MigrateOz, telling me that I REALLY should use them, because going it on my own is too risky. However I have made up my mind and we are pushing ahead with the process without an agent for now, R28k is a tidy sum with no guarantee.

I am sending my skills assessment off next week and then it is the big wait to see if my degree qualifies. Once I am over this hurdle I will feel more relaxed. The IELTS exam makes me a bit nervous,but I only need 7 points. My age is the main motivator for the decision, because once I hit the big 40, the chance goes out the window.

Let's stay in touch...

• Like 1