Where to stay in CT

Drought

Question

We will be returning to SA soon for the first time in 12 years ( grandma wants to meet her grandchildren) to visit family-some in CT and others in East London. Need to start planning the whole trip and for one, book accommodation. We cannot stay with the family as they are all in a range of retirement homes/single room apartments, etc.

So if anyone knows of affordable accommodation in CT and East London or anywhere along the coastal route ( we will probably book a few days in at Kragga Kamma gamepark ?? I wanted to do the private thing, but the boss/wife baulked at the big cost- (private game park or part fund for kitchen reno?????)) for a family of 4, would be happy to hear from you.

Also best mob to book a vehicle through and any other advice- things to see/do - (kids are 10 and 11, so scenery will probably be lost on them!).

As the time in SA is unlikely to be much of a "holiday" I am also thinking of a stop over on the way back- Singapore, Mauritius, Dubai are options I think- thoughts?

10 answers to this question

Hi there drought. Sorry can't help as I am in JHB (unfortunately) but Are sure there is lots of people still staying in CT and would be able assist I want to say Mitchells plain would be very cost effective (just joking) hope you get some real answers on the forum

I can't help with CT, but along the Garden Route, a couple of our favourite places to stay are Castleton Suites in Plett or the Cape St Francis Resort. In East London: my sister has a B & B in Nahoon called Harewood Lodge which has very nice family suites and is close to the beach. There is another lovely one across the road from us called Stumble Inn - you can Google both of them. Happy planning!

What time of the year are you coming?

Try using this web site http://www.wheretostay.co.za/wc/cm/, I have used it often in the past for my stays around the country and it worked great.

What is nice it gives you breakdown of types of accommodation and price range so you know where to look.

For car hire I found Tempest or Budget car hire to be slightly cheaper, but they are pretty much the same,and unfortunately, selection here is pretty much limited to big car hire companies.

Hi benp

Plan is to come over at the start of November- probably for 2 weeks in total.

If you come to Cape Town during that time it will start to become bussy and pricy! Try and get a place in the Northern suburbs (Durbanville, Bellville) or the west coats side (blaauwberg/Table View). Those areas are fine and within 25min drive to the city bowl. If you opt to stay in the city or the southern suburbs, expect to pay!!!!

Cape town, you can do loads of wine tours...for you and the kids. Try Fairview wine farm, just outside Paarl. They have lovely alfresco lunches, a few goats walking around and they have wine and cheese tastings! Ratanga junction if the kids like rides. A trip up table mountain is a must, an open air bus trip through town, a walkabout through green market square in town. There is a lovely butterfly world also just outside Stellenbosch, they do luch as well. Also monkey world, off the N1 outside Somerset west. Although I live here, we did a trip out to Robbin Island and found it very insightful. Not sure if the kids will like it, but they get to go on a boat there!

I'm not sure staying in suburbs is good ides, November is still work time for the rest of us, and you'll get stuck in rush hour traffic in and out of town pretty much every day,and these days CT traffic is just as bad as Sydney, it will take you 1h+ just to get in or out of the city, and rush hour starts from 6.30 till 9 in the morning and from 4 till 6.30 in the aftrennon. You might save few dollars, but not massively so. Having said that, city has rolled out MyCity bus service to Table View area, very very clean, safe and convenient, at it has it's own bus lanes so you do avoid traffic jams if you want to go to V&A or the city. Runs every 5-10 minutes, from early morning till 11pm and it is of 1st world standard, so maybe that is an option if you choose to stay out of town.

Plus Oct is start of windy season, and South Easter will blow you off the beach in Table View/Blouberg area.

Staying in town at least you can do touristy things without worrying about traffic or wind, as there tends to be less SE wind around city beaches.

There is number of reasonably priced guest houses or self catering units around the city, try looking at Green Point, Waterkant, 3 Anchor bay, Fresnaye,Gardens,Oranjezicht, Camps Bay.Even in CBD and some parts of Sea Point, but with these be selective, as parts of CBD and Sea Point vary in quality and safety.

Generally CT CBD and all the areas I mentioned are very very safe, I work there and my family stays in Gardens, so I speak with some knowledge of the town.

All of them are close to usual tourist attractions, and you can always walk around the city on foot.

If you choose to stay out of town, than maybe Table View/Blouberg/Milnerton/Sunset Beach/Big Bay is good second choice due to bus service, and it also has number of guest houses and hotels, but it is quite a distance from town.

Hi Drought

Last thing I want to do is push our place in Durbanville, but if you want to feel well looked after and be fairly central it is certainly worth looking into: www.featherslodge.co.za

Also think the northern suburbs is still better option. You 30min from everything. Traffic from 9 onwards are fine while the traffic from parklands area to town is hectic all day long. If you in town it will take you an hour to get to paarl or stellenbosch area. I have been driving these roads in and around the cape as a rep for 10 years and you really will not hit traffic after 9. . .Except if there is an accident, but those can happen anywhere, even the suburbs and then you will hit a traffic jam

Hi All

Thank you for all of the replies- at the very least we now have some options to consider. Feathers Lodge looks very nice and is high up on the priority list. We may have to end up staying in Wellington to keep family happy....