Renewing Passports from Australia

Guest May

Please can you outline process for me with contact details, pricing and timelines. Much appreciated. Just one of those things that one needs to tick off on your to-do list and need to get through it painlessly and quickly so thank you once again in advance.

Hi May,

All the info and pricing can be found at http://www.sahc.org.au/passports.htm#passportapplications

Essentially the process is:

1. Use the links on the website to download the relevant forms

2. email the consulate to get form BI-9 (fingerprints) which can not be downloaded from the site.

3. They will send you the BI-9 and once received you organise the fingerprints - this differs from state to state but in WA you need to do that through the Federal Police which involves making an appointments and paying a fee of around $40 from memory.

4. You send the fingerprints, completed forms, self addressed envelopes and the relevant payments required to the consulate.

5. They take it from there and after 3 to 6 months you get the new passport via the post.

Edited to add: If you're still on a visa remember to also let DIAC know of your new passport details once you have it, so they can transfer your visa across.

z

Edited by zetman
  • Like 1

You also need to get South African Passport size and style photos. which are head shoulders. The best is to have the old passports to show what is required. I was sent from place to place to get this done. The weird part is that on the ones we got back the shoulders were trimmed off. The large post office can but because their camera did not have a setting for South African they refused. ( I think it is like the NZ setting)

The Police fingerprints in Brisbane varies, any station that has the equipment can do it. (Not all do)

As we had the forms there was no cost. Others places charge for instance Petrie do I was told.

We went to Carseldine station on Gympie Road north side.

• 4 years later...

good morning, has anyone renewed an sa passport in sa whilst travelling from Australia as a dual national?

Getting in contact with sahc is a real pain, no one answers the phone or responds to emails. I've made a request for a BI9 form 2 weeks ago and didn't receive a reply as of yet.

Hi all ,

Please help.

I need to fly to SA urgently, but my passport expires in April 2018 will it be possible to do so?

Regards 

Hi AshB, I cannot see them refusing you to travel, after all you are going to your country of birth...

im facing the same situation.  My sa passport expires at the end of March. I intended on travelling at the end of january. From what I hear people say on this forums and other forums, as long as there is at least 30 days remaining you should be ok. The home affairs website says 30 days as well. would the border control in SA give you trouble if you have a narrow expiry date?

getting in contact with the embassy here is a nightmare. staff there are absolutely hostile. it is as if they are doing you a favour just to get in contact with them. Their Job is so crucial, yet they treat people so badly. I know its not just a select few as a google review of their service has some 100+ comments detailing the lack of customer service.

Many have said that passport processing time in sa is  a few days, which is surprising.  Has anyone has recent experience with this?

AshB, are you a dual citizen?

1 hour ago, new2forum said:

Has anyone has recent experience with this?

Takes 2 - 3 business days for a passport.  I would recommend that anybody who needs a passport or smart ID card to apply online and book the appointment at one of the bank branches.  I went to Absa Centurion lifestyle and it literally took 15 minutes in and out for my wife and I to apply for new passports and smart ID cards and also a passport for our infant son.

In my opinion, the reason for it taking so long outside of South Africa is purely political.  They have the IT infrastructure in place to process passport applications in days, yet they insist on the old process of manual paperwork and photos and fingerprints etc.  Why do they do this?  Because the people that have emigrated are essentially a liability to the governing party and will most likely vote for the opposition so I believe they make dealing with the South African consulate as painful a process as possible.  They want you to renounce your citizenship because that also means giving up your right to vote.  

• Like 1

thanks again chris. Although the home affairs website says no apointment is needed?  (assuming I cannot walk in?) Is there any reason why you had to goto absa bank?

My case is a bit different as I do not possess a south african id book, i do have an SA birth certificate. Is it possible to get both the ID and passport done at the same time?

you're spot on with the red tape. they want expats to suffer! The embassy have internation workers present at the embassy not SA citizens as far as I can tell.

5 hours ago, new2forum said:

thanks again chris. Although the home affairs website says no apointment is needed?  (assuming I cannot walk in?) Is there any reason why you had to goto absa bank?

As far as I know (at least when I did it) you have to have a booking to go into a bank branch home affairs.  Why wouldn't you, no queue, aircon, the staff aren't miserable and rude because they get to work in a bank branch instead of a run-down home affairs branch.

Yes, you can do ID and passport at the same time.

You have to use the electronic application forms so that everything is already filled in, it will give you a pdf to print with a barcode on it.

12 hours ago, new2forum said:

im facing the same situation.  My sa passport expires at the end of March. I intended on travelling at the end of january. From what I hear people say on this forums and other forums, as long as there is at least 30 days remaining you should be ok. The home affairs website says 30 days as well. would the border control in SA give you trouble if you have a narrow expiry date?

getting in contact with the embassy here is a nightmare. staff there are absolutely hostile. it is as if they are doing you a favour just to get in contact with them. Their Job is so crucial, yet they treat people so badly. I know its not just a select few as a google review of their service has some 100+ comments detailing the lack of customer service.

Many have said that passport processing time in sa is  a few days, which is surprising.  Has anyone has recent experience with this?

AshB, are you a dual citizen?

No not yet