Who's heading to Melbourne soon/landed recently (end 2012/2013) & where are you/where are you going?

SmellyN

Who's heading to Melbourne soon/landed recently & where are you/where are you going? Regards.

We heading that way very soon for our LSD. Will be in Melbourne from 9-16 September...cannot WAIT!!!

• Like 1

Landed 4 August, our stories are in the links in my signature ;)

• Like 1

Stephen Dickson is in Geelong, not quite Melbourne, but close enough.

I thought Geelong was in WA. ;p

We landed two years ago so not that recent. We live in Croydon Hills - loving it!! :ilikeit:

• Like 1

Today is my first real day in Melbourne. Considering I haven't eaten a proper meal since Sunday breakfast in SA, i'm treating myself to a Nandos in the Melbourne CBD from where im writing this post. It only cost me R150 :).

I'm staying in Newport in a rented room I found on Airbnb. A ten minute walk to the station and 20 mins on the train to the CBD. Newport didn't look so nice on Google streetview, but it is a really nice suburb walking through it. Google street view should in no way be used as a guage for suburb suitability.

The people we are staying with leave all their kids bikes on the front porch, and theres no fence. Walked into the NAB branch with my rucksack on looking like a really suspicious character(or clueless foreigner), and the security guard didn't even bat an eyelid.

My half a day synopsis of Melbourne, its a very busy, huge city with lots of trendy suits all over the place. I dont 100% feel like I fit in, being more a dockers/golf shirt kind of guy, at my smartest. But its too soon to make any kind of judgement, that was just my first observation that struck me.

...My half a day synopsis of Melbourne, its a very busy, huge city with lots of trendy suits all over the place. I dont 100% feel like I fit in, being more a dockers/golf shirt kind of guy, at my smartest. But its too soon to make any kind of judgement, that was just my first observation that struck me.

My biggest advice to anybody coming soon. Invest in a couple of suits. Jobs in the CBD are all formal dress code, and not to have one for your interviews would be career suicide. Companies here believe in the professional image, very few subscribe to the Google dress code. ;)

Edited by GideonVD
  • Like 2

Woke up really late today, the jetlag seems to be taking its toll. Opened the local rag to be greeted with some horrific crime news. Two teens were arrested for breaking into unlocked cars. They had the nerve to walk around the neighbourhood trying doors until they found unlocked ones. People are in distress because they may have to start locking their doors if this kind of thing carries on.

Please, for all those in Melbourne working in IT, could we have further comment on the formal wear for jobs (specifically IT jobs).

I have to admit, the idea of dressing formally for work every day gets me down. I have been dressing between casual and smart casual my whole life and every position I have taken (intentionally) does not put much weight on dress code.

Thanks.

Please, for all those in Melbourne working in IT, could we have further comment on the formal wear for jobs (specifically IT jobs).

I have to admit, the idea of dressing formally for work every day gets me down. I have been dressing between casual and smart casual my whole life and every position I have taken (intentionally) does not put much weight on dress code.

Thanks.

Doesn't have to be completely formal. Most non-client facing office workers in Melbourne get away with business pants, business shirt - open with no tie or jacket. I usually do that and then just wear a suit on says when I know I'll be out meeting folk or have an emergency tie at my desk for unexpected visitors.

No need to spend a fortune on suits either.

Plenty of discount outlets around.

But yes, generally the office scene is more formal than back home. Recruitment consultants always used to tell me that they can spot a South African a mile away - chinos, golf shirt and bronx. :)

• Like 2

Recruitment consultants always used to tell me that they can spot a South African a mile away - chinos, golf shirt and bronx. :)

Lol. Went to a Java User Group meeting tonight and that is exactly what I wore. Just about everyone there dressed as you describe, suit pants and smart shirt but no tie. I must say, when I worked at Investec in Sandton years ago it was suit and tie, even as a junior dev.

Thanks.

Backoffice dresscode is fairly casual - no jeans, Ts or golfshirts other than on Fridays. Chinos and long sleeve shirt is the general rule, although short sleeves are cool when it's >40. I wouldn't feel comfy visiting a customer in short sleeves though, especially if you meet with management types.

It's only the sales dudes that wear suits and ties 24/7 around here, so don't worry. Pretty much the same scene as Cape Town or Jozi. I haven't worn a tie in more than 20 years, but that's probably because my neck's too thick to close the top button of my shirts :D

My biggest advice to anybody coming soon. Invest in a couple of suits. Jobs in the CBD are all formal dress code, and not to have one for your interviews would be career suicide. Companies here believe in the professional image, very few subscribe to the Google dress code. ;)

Not true. I've had client meetings at many of the larger companies in Melb CBD, and generally only execs tie up. Definitely not formal, especially if you're in the IT sector. Of course, it won't do any harm, but if your position isn't customer facing, you don't even need to own a tie over here.

Backoffice dresscode is fairly casual - no jeans, Ts or golfshirts other than on Fridays. Chinos and long sleeve shirt is the general rule, although short sleeves are cool when it's >40. I wouldn't feel comfy visiting a customer in short sleeves though, especially if you meet with management types.

:D

The only Chinos I've seen in 6 years in Melbourne offices have been worn by the odd South African on "casual Friday"...

The only Chinos I've seen in 6 years in Melbourne offices have been worn by the odd South African on "casual Friday"...

Perhaps we're not referring to the same thing. By chinos I'm referring to plain pleated trousers.

Like so:

vr3tw8.jpg

Aha, we are talking about different things. Those indeed are trousers and that look is what you will see a lot of.

Chinos are more like casual khaki pants. Just google chinos and check out images and you'll see what I mean.

Yup. I think the problem is that Woolies in SA branded their trousers as "Chino" :D

Not really, if you do an image search for chinos on Google you will mostly see khaki coloured trousers:

http://www.google.co.za/search?q=chinos&safe=on&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=x2MoUseBEMWXkQW9sIC4CA&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAA&biw=768&bih=928

Ok, so where in Melbourne can I buy some black shoes cheap cheap?. I have the shirt and trousers, just need the shoes.