Time to journal a bit

rikamarie

that's awful rikamarie :( I hope everyone is ok. What a horrible thing to have happen. :( :(

Yeah I'm not surprised at doctors stating it's awesome here. They make great bucks and get to live in their complexes or mansions with their ADT or private security and medical professionals medical aid - there's some separate one they can join, which I'm guessing is probably even better than discovery. :P So sure - why would they leave?

I will tell you though - when I was pregnant the last time, I suddenly developed asthma - or rather I'd most likely always had it but the pregnancy aggravated it. My GP spent about 3 days just calling pulminologists trying to get someone to just pick up the phone. He told me there are only about 5 left and most don't even answer the phones because they are so fully booked up so far in advance that there's no point in picking up the phone. He did finally get through and I got to go onto the right meds but shew those 3 days waiting - just for a doctor to answer another doctor's call - were quite eye-opening.

I'm glad your family is coming around and starting to show their interest. :) Have you set up skype for them so you can call them once you get there?

• Like 1

Thanks McCabes! Shame everyone is ok but the students are rattled and scared. They've moved all their possesions out of their rooms and into the more secure houses. The robbers dug a hole underneath the electrical fence and that's how they got out.

I agree, the doctor is in a very good position, so she doesn't have to worry.

Our official goodbyes has started. We had a final lunch with friends in Nelspruit yesterday and we're greeting my aunt and uncle this weekend. We also visited the Kruger National Park today. We atleast saw 3 of the big 5.

:( that makes me so mad!!! I hope they can catch the guys

I am glad you got to go to the park - 3 out of 5 isn't bad!!! :)

• Like 1

So things are now really starting to move and time is flying by! In 3 months time we'll be on that flight to Perth.

We've booked pick-up of our boxes for 25 November. Packing the boxes is difficult at this stage,because our house isn't packed up yet and we're mostly still using everything we want to ship.

It's final, we're moving out of our house the last week of November. In that week everyone will collect their "new" furniture that they bought from us and the new owners will move in 1 December. We'll be staying with family for a month with only our suitcases.

Another big tick off the list is accomodation when we arrive. Our friends in Butler have offered that we can stay with them until we can secure a rental. What a relief! They have 2 boys, 1 is the same age as our daughter, so atleast their will be a friend too.

• Like 1

HI Rikamarie

I have just read this whole thread, you and our hubby have the right attitude and from the sounds of things you will settle well, I did smile as our container stuff was packed on 25 November 2011!! I will never forget that date.

Australia is indeed the "Lucky Country" but I think its the attitude of the people who make it that way, meaning the you and me's its a choice and I wish you and your little family all the best. My mom wasn't so happy about us moving and couldn't understand, so in December she spent 5 weeks with us, and said its the best move we have ever made, and that she is so proud of us, she too is now looking at trying to get here.

I will be looking out for your updates and first impressions.

God Bless

T

• Like 4

Thanks Orion25. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad your mom enjoyed the visit. I will definitley keep you updated. Have a lovely day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So lately a lot of people have been asking me "Aren't you afraid to go to Australia? Aren't you afraid to leave your family behind? Aren't you afraid?"

So I've been thinking about it and for some reason, I really am not afraid! I was afraid in the beginning of the process and at the beginning of our journey but as we progressed, the feelings of being afraid turned into excitement and disbelief after we received our visa.

Since getting our visa in May, we have had a lot of time to prepare ourselves emotionally and to prepare ourselves for the reality of moving to another country.

Ofcourse when we arrive the reality will really hit us, but we are both as prepared as you can be.

• Like 3

Rikamarie you are much nicer than me! I would have turned that around and asked them aren't they afraid of [insert South African issue of choice here]...

I'm glad you are feeling ready, I think frame of mind must be one of the most important things when setting off.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been through a bit of a roller coaster these past 2 weeks.

I was contacted by Buggles Early Learning centre. I had sent my cv to them a few weeks back. They wanted to know which centre will be closest to us, for a possible placement. They also asked if my qualifications had been assessed through ACECQA. Unfortunately it hadn't been assessed yet. They replied and said I can work as a teacher's assistant while my qualifications are being assessed.

I started doing my research and found out before I can be employed at any Early Learning centre, my qualifications have to be assessed through ACECQA. I made a mistake and looked at the fees, I thought it costs $2000. I was so dissapointed, we just don't have it.

So I started applying for assistant jobs.

I also kept in contact with the school. I asked them if they had assistant jobs availble at my nearest centre (which they had).

Monday they invited me for an interview for an assistant position. I enquired if a skype interview would be possible.

Today they let me know that they will schedule the interview for January after we arrive and that it also gives me enough time to have my assessment done (which takes 9 weeks). And that I should bring my assessment results with me to the interview. And according to my results they can proceed with the process.

So this weekend I will send in my application (which can be emailed - thank goodness!). And by end Dec, beginning January, I should have my results and I can go to the interview.

Very exciting times!

Oh forgot to add.. The assessmment cost $102 and not $2000 like I thought! What a relief! Quite a big difference in price!

• Like 7

Isn't it amazing how it all starts falling into place. Thanks for sharing. Which area will you be in, in Perth? I ask, because my toddler will be 2 and a half when we land in January and I will need to start looking for a nursery school/playgroup.

• Like 1

Rikamarie - that is awesome news. Good on you for finding a job before landing!

@Kath, this is NOR. We are planning on staying in Joondalup. There are so many childcare centres in the area. I think you have to decide on price, location etc. Have a look at www.childcare.com.au (or something like that). Email the schools and ask for fees structure. Here in RSA, there is a half day and full day price. Not in Oz. It is common for children not to attend kindergarten full time, or only a few times a week. So each child's fees differ. Good luck with finding a school.

@Toitjie. Thanks, but I only have an interview. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch. Although the school sounds very positive to have me, I am still going to apply for other jobs too. Just to be on the safe side. Otherwise I put my hope in this job and will be disapointed if I don't get the jobs.

• Like 1

that's a very level-headed approach Rikamarie :D

What a bonus that it's $102 and not 2k!!! YAY!

Hope everything comes together and you walk in and wow them in Jan - all the best for it.

• Like 1

Thanks so very much for your support Mccabes!

My application for the assessment is officially in! I need 70 days for the assessment, but we only have 63 days left in RSA. So I had to put up a friend's address in Oz for when they send the certificate.

Good luck, We hope to see you in Perth soon. I know everything will work out - this is an extremely difficult part of the process... Letting go of all familiar and secure with nothing to hold on to except your faith in God and your Family.

• Like 1

Thanks so very much for your support Mccabes!

My application for the assessment is officially in! I need 70 days for the assessment, but we only have 63 days left in RSA. So I had to put up a friend's address in Oz for when they send the certificate.

how exciting!!! Must be an awesome feeling (guessing anxious as well, but how lovely really - you are ALMOST there!!!)

• Like 1

how exciting!!! Must be an awesome feeling (guessing anxious as well, but how lovely really - you are ALMOST there!!!)

Oh yes, it is all getting more real and exciting now. Can't believe we have less than two months left.

We have been packing, throwing out, and giving away so many things already, and the house isn't even 20% sorted out yet (Must be more, but it feels so little).

Today in 3 weeks Seven seas comes to collect our boxes :o Getting a bit stressed about it though.

The 23rd and 24th of November everyone comes to collect everything they bought and we'll be moving in with family and all the rest of goodbyes will start and continue until end December.

Now all of a sudden about 25 people want to be on the airport to greet us.... :blink: So we'll have to sort out that bit sometime as we actually just want family there (family is already about 17 people, adults and children).

Edited by rikamarie

Shew Rika-Marie. I think if our time comes I'm going to say no-one must come to the airport. I so clearly remember my brother and his wife boarding for New Zealand and boy were there floodworks - it was so hard! But at the same time I'm glad we were there. It's nice to be able to see someone off and watch the planes take off afterward, imagining them as they go off on their adventure :)

(my boet's work situation didn't work out over there, and he only had the 28 days to find something else, which he couldn't, so they came back... :( )

Anyway... wow... min dae ne? :D :D :D

Hope it goes smoothly and you have a WONDERFUL holiday with your families :)

In 18 days Seven seas are arriving to collect our boxes.. Feeling a bit stresses about it, because or boxes are not even halfway packed, we keep on repacking them, because of the weight. So we'll have to make a serious plan to get it done soon.

In 55 days we are getting on the plane to start our new life in Australia. MIN DAE! So extremely excited.

I received an email today to say that the outcome of my supervisor certificate was posted to me this week.. holding thumbs that they granted me the supervisor certificate! That would open some doors to me regarding teaching positions.

I am still waiting to hear from ACECQA regarding my application for assessment of my qualifications. They take 10 days to acknowledge receipt of application, its now been 7 working days, hopefully will hear soon, so that the 60 days for processing my application can start. I am in the waiting game all over again.. haha!

Just want to thank everyone for all the support so far. This forum has been a safe haven for us so far.

Definitely min dae...!!!

Shame man, maybe someone on the other side can offer some tips for packing re the weight issue...

Good luck with everything!

Hi Rikamarie

I really enjoyed your post. We are leaving on 4th Jan for Adelaide, container being packed on 25th Nov as well. Going through a series of "lasts". Both exciting and daunting. Biggest concern is leaving family behind, but also excited abou the new adventure! All I can say I can see God's hand in evrything in how all the little things are working out.

• Like 1

Hi Rikamarie

I really enjoyed your post. We are leaving on 4th Jan for Adelaide, container being packed on 25th Nov as well. Going through a series of "lasts". Both exciting and daunting. Biggest concern is leaving family behind, but also excited abou the new adventure! All I can say I can see God's hand in evrything in how all the little things are working out.

Thanks Rynier! Good luck with everything! Can't believe they will be arriving in 16 days for our stuff! (And yours!). Good luck with all the goodbyes! We have a friends farewell party today. Last party at our house, then final packing will commence and we'll be moving out soon.

I agree with God's hands being over it all! Everything has gone so smoothly for us!

Good luck!!

Rikamarie, time is running out, I can just imagine how you are feeling with the roller coaster of emotions starting to set in. So glad you seem to have all under control, you will feel quite at a loss once your boxes are packed and gone, but soon the real date will be looming and the roller coaster will be fully under way.

Keep your chin up and eyes on the prize, I'm looking forward to the rest of your journey.

T

• Like 1

Thanks Orion25. Appreciate it! Sometimes I am in total disbelief about how far in the process we are and that this is really happening.

At this stage I am awake every morning at 2am, wide awake.. can't sleep. I believe it's my sub-conscious, going over every detail and worrying about everything else. Problem is, things are not winding down at school at all, so I don't have time during the day to think everything through, so then I wake up at 2am.. to think.

I am working until the 6th of December (only 22 days left!), and I still have 44 reports for my remedial children left to write (already did 9) and to get everything ready for the next teacher. :unsure: My nerves are seriously setting in.

Thanks for all the support everyone!