Time to journal a bit

rikamarie

Hi everyone

So I thought I'd share our immigration journey so far, and then I can add on as we go along.

In 2010, hubby and I decided we are in the mood for a change of scenery and started talking about immigrating.

Our first country of choice was the USA. We started doing some research and found a lawyer in the USA which specialized in immigration laws (and he was an ex South African!). He got us on the right track and we had our skills assessed through a US university which gave us letters stating that our qualifications was equal to this and that degrees in the USA.

We applied for unabridged birth certificates in April 2010. I only received mine in August 2012!

We started applying for jobs within the states that we identified that we wanted to live in. This was a tough choice seeing as there are 50 states to choose from!

Each one of us just got a reply back that because of the recession, no one is hiring foreigners, only US citizens. So we basically gave up the dream. Although I just have to mention that my hubby at that stage asked me "What about Australia?" and I immediately said "NO".

End of November 2010 while I was pregnant, my dad suffered a heart attack and passed away. This was such a big shock and a hard time for the family.

In 2011 the Lord blessed us with our daughter and all immigration talk was gone. She was our focus and the new adventure we had been looking for. End of 2011 hubby mentioned Australia again and I considered it for a day or so, again, just said "NO"

In 2012, my hubby asked me to just do some research on Australia (he had been doing his own at work) and find out for myself everything that he already knew (He had to convince me somehow, without convincing me.. haha)

So I contacted a friend who studied with me. She had plans to go to Oz and she was a teacher so it was perfect. It was she who told me that the immigration laws would change 1 July 2012. So we waited until the new laws were brought in and then the research started again.

We told both our parents about our plans from the beginning, but not the rest of the family.

On the 1st of July 2012, I joined the forum and the journey really started. I booked our IELTS for 21 of July. I studied like a mad thing (I was on school holiday so I had time!). Hubby was relaxed, but I made him study!

On the 12th of July we applied for our baby's unabridged birth certificate and our marriage certificate (which we only received in February 2013!).

We both passed our IELTS with flying colours! So relieved.

End of July 2012 I sent an email to Unisa to ask for the letter stating my practical information. Emailed and phoned and eventually went there. Sometime middle August I got the letter and could submit my assessment at AITSL (17 August 2912)

The waiting was torture! But my skills assessment was positive and I received my certificate on the 31st of October 2012.

We wanted to get hubby's skills assessed too, but no occupation on the SOL fitted his qualification or job description. He is a Senior forensic DNA Analyst.

We decided to apply for a 190 visa with WA, although we didn't need the extra points. So we submitted our application for sponsorship on the 15th of November and we received sponsorship on the 12th of December 2012 as well as our invite to apply.

At this stage we were quite in disbelief that this all is happening and that everything is going to smoothly. And we couldn't believe that we had our invite. We decided to leave the application for the new year. I wanted to make sure that all is in order and I didn't want to make a mistake.

We went on our first sea holiday with our little one (and the rest of the family). Here we told the first of our family. They were supportive but did not believe or understand how serious our plans were.

Came back and just in the nick of time gave in our application (funds!). Lodged our application on the 9th of February 2013. So excited!

But unfortunately on the 20th of January my sister passed away and this was a terrible time for everyone! I was wondering if we should still go ahead with our plans and what are we to do, what about the children she is leaving behind etc. But I prayed about it and I knew, we just had to carry on.

We applied for our pcc's on the 12th of Feb. I booked our medicals and we all went on the 21st of Feb. The morning of the 21st of Feb I also received an email from our CO for the first time! Man, this was such an exciting time for us! Things were moving and we had a CO!

Went for our medicals and all seemed fine. I emailed the medical centre to confirm that they didn't have any problems to upload the meds. On the 28th of Feb we fetched our PCC's. Which I thought was done in record time. We uploaded ALL the remaining docs and all that was left was that visa grant letter.

So we waited and waited and it didn't come. I had numerous emails with the CO and he never said that our medicals were referred, just that they were outstanding. I was worried and eventually sometime in April, I asked him directly, if the medicals were referred and he confirmed, they had been referred! Now I was going out of my mind with this referred medicals. I was counting the days of how long they had been referred and it had seemed like forever!

Finally on the 11th of May, we woke up the Saturday morning and I had 2 emails on my phone, 1 from our CO with the visa grant letter and 1 from skills select to say our EOI has been suspended.

I just couldn't believe it! I was absolutely stunned, over the moon, jumping with joy! It was simply unbelievable. We had done it! We had gotten our visa!

Now we knew it was time to tell the family. But by bit we made appointments with our family members and told them the news. They were not so happy. We also asked them to keep it quiet at first because I work at the same school as that their children are in.

We decided to both finish the year at our work places and leave early 2014.

We initially wanted to book flights for the 5th of January 2014, but IOM let us know that flights for the 1st of Jan is much cheaper and we went for that option. But we first had to ask my mom in law, because the 1st of Jan is her birthday.

Flights booked! Wow what an amazing feeling! After our flights were booked, my husband made contact with a police officer in the WA police who gave him a lot of valuable advice on applying. In July I applied for registration with the Teacher registration board of WA. My husband also applied in July to join the WA police force.

Since then I am registered with the TRB, they received my application 16 July and requested more identification from me, and after sending it, my registration went through on the 19th of August. I am still waiting for my card though.

My husband has also had contact with the recruitment officer at the WA police. He first initially hoped that he would be able to attend the February training group, but then he has to come for assessment and interviews now! Because we are only arriving in Jan, he will go through all the assessments and interviews and join a later group for training.

We also decided that because the training is in Joondalup, we would settle there. I enrolled our little one at Goodstart Early Learning in Joondalup. She is currently on the waiting list. I have also started applying for jobs (applied for 4 already, and sent my cv to 4 other schools), and just keeping an eye on the net for posts.

Also sent my details to an agency to help me find work. They are very happy with my qualifications.

We put our house on the market on the 19th of July and on the 26th of August we received an offer and signed and accepted it. Now we hope and pray all will go well with the sale.

What's left? Selling our car, furniture, packing our boxes from seven seas (we are only sending about 10-15 boxes over), cancelling a lot of accounts and so much more.

• Like 6

It is nice reading journals...everyone's journeys are different, and in some ways so similar.

Good luck with the last few months!

• Like 1

Very nice account of your journey so far and somewhat inspirational!!!

We'll be landing just ahead of you so may see you on the other side!!!

• Like 1

Great journey Rika-Marie - I believe that our paths are already set out for us and in the end everything worked out for you. So glad you're also going to Perth, will definitely keep in touch and have a coffee every now and again.

Also very very glad you got an offer on your house..... holding thumbs everything will go smoothly!

• Like 1

Great read,

I'm curious, what made you say "no" to Australia at first and what made you change your mind?

• Like 1

Thanks Brad76 and Debbie! Really an exciting time!

HansaPlease, the first time I said no to Oz was because everyone was jumping on the Australian bandwagon and everyone was leaving to go to Oz. I didn't want to be part of the crowd, just another person going to Australia. I am not a "follow the leader" type of person.

The 2nd time was different. Our baby was only 7 months old and we had just bought the house (a few weeks before our baby was born) and suddenly I was feeling happy here in RSA, settled and I didn't want to give up the house and the family etc. But I soon came back down to earth. You can't help but become negative if you hear the news, see the newspaper headlines and I was starting to fear for my daughter's life and ours too. When I finally decided to do some research, something inside me was tickled, curious abouth the country that everyone I'd flocking too.

So we decided to get the ball on the roll and see where it leads us. Somewhere (not sure I which point), we made a decision that it's all or nothing. We are doing this to the fullest to make a better life for our child and our future children.

And now here we are, only 4 months and 2 days left until we get on that plane and I don't regret it one bit.

I just have to commend my husband for trying to convince me for so long. Thank you Shanelw!

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing, loved reading your journal.

I am wishing you guys only the best for every step you have left here in SA and all the new steps in Oz.

:hug::hug:

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your story. I just want to say how sorry I am over the terrible loss of loved ones you have faced in such a short time. I can tell that you are a determined person once your mind is made up and just want to wish you the very best over the last few months until your new adventure begins.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I am also sorry to hear about your dad and sister. This journey is so difficult and to have lost two family members in such a short space of time must have made it even harder.

You sound positive about your move and that makes a big difference. Wish you all the best.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your story. I just want to say how sorry I am over the terrible loss of loved ones you have faced in such a short time. I can tell that you are a determined person once your mind is made up and just want to wish you the very best over the last few months until your new adventure begins.

Thanks for sharing your journey with us. I am also sorry to hear about your dad and sister. This journey is so difficult and to have lost two family members in such a short space of time must have made it even harder.

You sound positive about your move and that makes a big difference. Wish you all the best.

Thank you very much AndreaL and Lyn.

Yes I must admit that both deaths took us by surprise, no time to prepare. Even worse, my father had his heart attack in front of me and my husband. We tried to pick him up and get him into the car, but we just couldn't pick him up. I tried to do CPR, but had forgotten everything I learned :blush: But it being my father, it makes sense. Hubby did CPR, I phoned the ambulance and suddenly couldn't remember the street name :excl: Had to run up the road to see the street name. All this in my pregnant state! Ambulance came, tried to resus, took him to hospital and he passed away there.

With my sister we just got the call that she had passed away. Went for an afternoon nap and never woke up again. She had been given medication to drink for her condition (She was bipolar) and somehow the medication just took a toll on her body. Shame, her poor 5 year old found her on the bed, already passed away. Just want to cry if I think about it. How I miss my sister!!

I must admit I did all the easy work....by making the decision. Rika-Marie did all the hard work,the application form etc.

Such a blessing to be married to such a strong willed,intellectual and determined woman.

Having her in my life makes me a better person and a stronger man.

• Like 12

Really sorry to hear Rika-Marie.

Your hubs sounds like a wonderful man, openly admitting what he has. Not many would. IMHO the two of you make a good team, it helps if you both want this and are on the same page.

• Like 1

oh dear, I just wanted to cry reading this - I am so sorry for your loss Rikamarie! My dad also passed away suddenly after a heart attack, but I wasn't there when it happened. I'm so sorry. :(

I do want to thank you for sharing your journey. I love reading the journals here, they give me hope that maybe, one day not too long from now, I'll be writing one myself...

All the best to you

• Like 1

I'd just like to mention that you are thinking of settling in jundaloop. I have just arrived back in sa from my lsd trip and I visited the suburb of jundaloop while I was in perth. What a beautiful suburb it is. Beautiful park with a playground for kids. Lovely houses with no walls and not even burglar bars. They only drawback was that it was a small distance from the city but not to far. But I really loved that suburb. I even mentioned to the wife that although our intention is to go to brisbane, if we do end up in perth we will be setlling in the suburb of jundaloop.

• Like 1

Hi Rikamarie,

I am also a teacher. We have only just submitted my skills assessment. What qualification do you have and how do you register with the teacher registration board? We are also going to Perth.

Thanx

Alana

Hi Rikamarie,

I am also a teacher. We have only just submitted my skills assessment. What qualification do you have and how do you register with the teacher registration board? We are also going to Perth.

Thanx

Alana

Hallo Alana

Good luck with the skills assessment. What type of teacher are you?

I have a Honours Bachelor Degree in Early Childhood Development, hence, I am an Early Childhood Teacher.

Have a look at this post: http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/40494-teaching-in-australia-the-process-explained/page-1

It explains the whole process of when to register etc. I registered after our visa was granted. The Teacher Registration Board does another assessment, so you send in all your documents again. I am not sure if you have to/can only register once you have your visa, but it just made sense to me that they would only grant you registration if you are in fact a permanent resident or actually have the visa in hand.

Good luck, and feel free to ask questions at any time!

Rika-Marie

Hi Rika-Marie,

Thanx for the response.

I have my H.Dip.Ed Foundation Phase.

I'm sure I can only register with them once we are further along, but just good to have the info.

Thanx again and I am sure you will be hearing more from me :ilikeit:

Alana

• Like 1

Feeling a bit sad tonight. Our house has been sold.. Very glad about it, but also sad to give up our home. Our first owned house, the house where our daughter grew up the past few years, the house in which we decided to immigrate, the house that God blessed us with.

Only 104 days left until we fly to Perth! :-D really looking forward to it.

I've applied for A LOT of teaching jobs, heard back from a few schools. They would have preferred it if we arrived early December already :-( but I'm holding thumbs for that 1 school that will give me the opportunity, 1 is all I need!

Family have really warmed up to the moving away idea, they have started asking more and more questions, which is a very good sign of their real interest.

• Like 1

So as of today we only have 100 days left in RSA! :-D

We sorted out our daughter's toys today, there is really so little we can take along, the rest is going to my mother for the other children to play with when they visit.

Half of our shipping boxes are packed. Most of our furniture has new owners already (although we are still "borrowing" our own furniture until end Nov).

Today I had a bad experience with our house doctor telling me that immigration is bad and it is traumatic for the children and the grass really isn't greener on the other side etc. I just said to her it's a personal decision and we are aware of the implications. Felt so disapointed when we left.

Hi, sterkte vir julle. Miskien leef die dokter in haar eie wereld. Om in SAfrika te bly kan net so traumaties wees...

Hou moed, een vd dae kyk jul terug en sal jul dankbaar wees vir die opofferings wat jul nou gemaak het.

• Like 1

Rikamarie - my doctor told me the exact same thing. He said life is good, why would I want to leave?

I think if I earned what he is earning (charging almost R 400 per consultation that on the books is 15 min but in actuality never exceeds 5 mins, I would probably also think life is good and not want to give that up.

People are justifying their reasons, I guess the same as we do, so when their reasons are not the same as mine, I try not to get involved in a discussion, but I understand your feeling. I felt let down too.

Good luck with the packing and things...we are standing on 59 days to go..

• Like 2

Today I had a bad experience with our house doctor telling me that immigration is bad and it is traumatic for the children and the grass really isn't greener on the other side etc.

What a truly stupid thing to say. Especially coming from somebody who is supposed to be fairly clever. My mind boggles sometimes.

From the dr's perspective the grass may not be greener- perhaps the doc has a bit of colour blindness?

On a more serious note: If I may offer one bit of advice: be very clear in your own mind why you are moving- whatever those reasons are. It is very easy to go along with the popular reasons and try and convince yourself that that is why you want to move, but in the quiet and during the difficult times; if you are not 100% convinced of the reasons for you leaving, then dealing with the stresses becomes even harder.

Ultimately you may evaluate the success against the reasons for your move- if for your kids and you see them as having more "opportunities" after living in Aus. for a few years then you may very well regard all the hardships as being worth it, but if you moved, but were not sure entirely why (other than some vague reason), then despite the additional opportunities for them, you may still feel discontented.

Thanks for all the support. Luckely we know exactly why we are leaving and know that we are doing the right thing. Yes, doubt will come, when it comes we will deal with it.

Today we were reminded of why we are leaving. We are visiting my mom just outside White River (Mpumalanga). She works at a training centre, there are about 100 people staying here. Each with there own little house. All people either work here or students. Last night 3 guys broke into the centre (which is surrounded with electrical fencing and a patrol car) and broke into 2 of the students houses. They stole appliances and a laptop, hard drive etc. I am so furious because it is such a safe place, the kids can run around and play and swim and play cricket and soccer etc. (There are about 20 children there) It is just so unfair!