SA doctors in Melbourne

leanabez

We've moved from Johannesburg to Melbourne early in 2013. I'm looking for South African doctors in Melbourne. I would like to hear from anybody who visits a South African doctor in Melbourne and more specific in the Bayside area.

• 2 weeks later...

Can moderators please ban all such posts? So annoying

To you, maybe, but then you don't strike me as a very tolerant person.

I don't go looking for SA doctors, or SA anything, hell, our Asian GP is better than most SA, Aus or even UK doctors that we've been subjected to over the years... But anyway, my point is - if somebody takes comfort in having a doctor who specifically has green skin and a pair of horns, should it really bother you that much? :)

• Like 2

It bothers me because its disrespectful to the country that has granted you asylum and its hypocritical, because an Aussie in SA demanding to see only an Aussie doctor would be abused ad nauseum. Thirdly, it may be because the individual (as is so often the case) looking to obtain antibiotics to treat a viral infection (flu) - the great Saffer doctor swindle!

And Hansa, Im a chilled oke most of the time. I just get annoyed at things like this.

It bothers me because its disrespectful to the country that has granted you asylum and its hypocritical, because an Aussie in SA demanding to see only an Aussie doctor would be abused ad nauseum. Thirdly, it may be because the individual (as is so often the case) looking to obtain antibiotics to treat a viral infection (flu) - the great Saffer doctor swindle!

And Hansa, Im a chilled oke most of the time. I just get annoyed at things like this.

Fair enough. I do appreciate your logic, I'm probably just a bit more " whatever floats your boat"...

Well there's a person who's made two posts - the first and the last.

Now to ban all the other posts that irritate people. Forum is going to get mighty slow.

• Like 1

I'm more "hey! hey! hey! Dont come with that k@k here....!"

Hehe

Truth be told, I'm probably not as tolerant as

I claim to be. I internalise my insults more when dealing with half wits. :)

Don't worry leanabez will soon enough learn to be grateful to find a medical center with clean seats which bulk bills for everyone and stays open after 5pm. And a kind nurse who doesn't hurt you and checks on you after she's done your vaccinations.

Which I did today!! Jippie!! Got all my travel vaccinations for Bali as well as the Implanon contraceptive done today and only had to pay for the vaccines and $36 for the Implanon at the pharmacy (normally over $200 but kindly subsidized by the Australian government).

Not too shabby... :ilikeit::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Due to the intolerance and rudeness of the members of the forum, the member has requested to resign. So much for a welcoming understanding attitude of where a newbie might be. The member only arrived in Aus in January this year. Perhaps we might be a little bit more tolerant in future.

• Like 2

Wonder how many of you had such a negative reception on your first post - anyone?

I can well understand why he thinks the general population are unwelcoming.

This is not exactly the forum's most shining moment.

• Like 2

Right... So.... This is going well....

My goodness....what is going on here?

It is part and parcel of the forum....answering the same question many, many times, "How long will my visa take?" is my personal favourite, in my head I want to reply, " How long is a piece of string", but I always try to find the correct answer and give it, as well as assurance that patience is needed................

It seems that those of us who have been here for a long time forget that questions that might seem quite insignificant to us are often of extreme importance to those close to or who have just arrived.....it is a stressful time.

Springjock, we weren't granted asylum here, we're not refugees, we were all lucky enough to have skills needed in Australia, and timing, luck, perseverance etc were on our side too.

If we're going to ban posts that are annoying, I reckon most of us would be gone.

Actually, I have a South African Dr, not because he is South African but because he is very good.

A bit more tolerance is needed here.

• Like 4

Not surprised at all.

And whilst on the subject of tolerance - I read a post a couple of days ago which left me a little peeved off - went along the lines of -

how tiring it is reading the same old same old, unhappy, whinging people , its ok if you read it once, but they were addicted to the forum and would find reading it over and over again - all too tiring.

Well then, its really very simple - don't read the post, keep your fingers away from the keyboard, stay off the forum for a few days or move along. There are many members here who sometimes just need a little bit of advice, a little bit of inspiration when times are down, and sometimes just one caring reply changes their day.

• Like 2

Good advice Lyn

We all get a bit frustrated or annoyed or are just having a grumpy day.........it's like when you come from a big family and some are starting to grate on your nerves...........you just go and find somewhere quiet to have some alone time.............or in the case of the forum, stay away for a few days........goodness knows I've written some things and looking back on them think..............' What possessed you?"

I wonder if it is because many of us know one another quite well and can joke or even have a subtle dig at another member, whilst new people aren't always privy to our friendships and relationships...............well that is my thought for the day.............now back to ranting at anyone who will listen about politics :)

In hindsight, perhaps I was a bit hasty in my first post. I should have been more tactful. However, I'm clearly not alone in feeling this way, hence the 'likes' the comment got.

There seems to be an impression created that I have chased away some poor migration newbie who was only looking for help. Sorry, but the person who asked for the SA doctor has lived in Australia for around 9 months. He/she is fully aware that Australia is a First World society. I have given 3 reasons why i think this is innapropriate in a previous post.

Thirdly, South Africans DO seek asylum in Australia. Look the word up in the dictionary, it means to 'seek protection from danger.' This is different to the political term 'asylum seeker'. I think that sums up our situation rather nicely.

I won't agree with you on the seeking asylum bit, we seek a better a life, a better living, a better future, maybe you feel that way but I don't.

Asylum has many meanings

1. An institution for the care of people,
especially those with physical or mental impairments, who require
organized supervision or assistance.
2. A place offering protection and safety; a shelter.
3. A place, such as a church, formerly constituting an inviolable refuge for criminals or debtors.
4. The protection afforded by a sanctuary. See Synonyms at shelter.
5. Protection and immunity from extradition granted by a government to a political refugee from another country.
Anyway, a bit more tact wouldn't go amiss. We don't know why he wanted a South african Dr.....if the postee had gone on to say, " Because Aussie Dr's are rubbish" or something, then maybe a bit of a ' pull your head in" would be in order, but I think you jumped too quick, made assumptions, and probably carried a bit of opinion over from other posts...............................I get it, but we all need to remind ourselves that newbies aren't aware of all that................
  • Like 1

Springjock, perhaps you are one of those fortunate people that never has to visit a doctor. I for one, would happily trade my doctors for those I had in RSA... at least mine used to listen to me and give constructive advice... I often find here you are just a number and be quick, you just have your alloted 15 minutes...

Honestly, if you do not like what someone has asked, just close the post and go and read something else that you do like! Take yourself back to the beginning of your migration situation, did you never ask a "silly question"?

I, again, find it most unforgiving to jump down someone's throat, just because they do not view the world in the same way that you do.

• Like 5

Can moderators please ban all such posts? So annoying

Can moderators please ban all post such as this one? So annoying to newbies (like me)!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist..

I have no problem trying my utmost to help if someone asks for a good doctor or medical center in Melbourne, there are many good ones but why does it have to be a South African one?

So to me it is quite insulting for someone to ask for a South African doctor specifically as there are good and bad South African doctors, just like there are good and bad Australian / Chinese / Indian doctors here in Australia. What could be the reason for asking for a South African doctor, except to try and get a prescription for (mostly) unnecessary medication?

But that is just my personal opinion.

• Like 1

Firstly, you might enjoy talking about stuff like - I don't know - anal fissures maybe, in a completely strange situation to absolutely any random doctor? But some people find a bit of comfort when confiding in someone that looks and talks a bit more like the GPs they's known all their lives when having to discuss terribly private matters.

Secondly, if I have to drag my 3-year old off to the doctor, she might do less kicking and screaming (and biting, if the doc's particularly unlucky) if the person doesn't strike her as weird in an anti-Christ type of way. A Pakistani doc would be taking a huge risk if he/she tried to pry kiddo's mouth open. Even better if the doc speaks a bit of Afrikaans - still the only language my kid can speak and understand at the moment.

Thirdly, if an Aussie in SA asked to find an Aussie doctor that emigrated from Oz to SA, then people would think he's crazy for trying to find such a complete nutcase / idiot. Where would you find such a doctor, in an asylum maybe?

I can think of more points to support the other side, but believe my point has been made.

(I view the random prescription of antibiotics as a terrible sin too, by the way. None of my two small kids have had antibiotics up to now. Ever.)

• Jordy locked this topic