Looking for Boilermaking work to secure 457

TQO

I know it is tough all round, but the power of social media and word of mouth is phenomenal, so if anyone on the forum has a friend of a friend, a link, referral, heard of something, knows of a company considering or any information that could help us source employment with a view to securing 457 sponsorship or otherwise, please be so kind as to pm me:

Hubby is an Artisan - Qualified Boilermaker and Coded Welder.

He has 12+ years mining experience and combined 20+ years overall experience. His LinkedIn profile:

za.linkedin.com/pub/quinten-oliver/33/7a1/132

His trade is known as Metal Fabrication and First Class Welding in Aus.

He has sufficient IELTS scores and has achieved a positive outcome on his Skills Assessment through Vic Uni for TRA.

We are prepared to live anywhere, including regional areas.

I appreciate any and all feedback you may have to help us reach our goal of getting to Australia and thank you in advance!

Edited by TQO

Hey TQO. Drop Denzil here on the forum a PM or try contacting him through the SAAustralia Facebook page, I know he won't mind giving some advice. He's currently in Melbourne and is a boiler maker/metal fabricator. He's walked a long and hard road and approached this visa thing from every possible angle.

Hi there

One thing my brother had to do (also a Welder looking for a 457) was get a VetAssess Skills assessment done. It's a2 part thing, where the applicant does a self evaluation and then arranges for an interview (my brother did his from Johannesburg - apparently this sis the only place they are set up for) which turned out to be a SKype interview anyway.

There is a fee for the assessment, but my understanding is that you need this to be able to apply successfully for a 457.

Vetassess do have a website as well all the info is on there

http://www.vetassess.com.au/index.cfm

All the best

Joe

@HEJJ - Thanks. We have been in touch with Denzil and he has helped us as much as he possibly can. He's gone very quiet of late though - any idea what has happened to him?

We have also made friends with a number of other techies/tradies on the forum, shared info and such, so the feelers are definitely out there.

@Joe - we completed the Skills Assessment for TRA through Vic Uni and did the interview in JHB. There was no need for a practical as his trade is not licensed, and the Assessor felt he did more than satisfactory in the Skype interview.

We have been hard at the job hunting, but someone pointed out to me in a pm that it would be easier to secure work through someone you know/linked to someone, than just cold calling and answering adverts, so hopefully that someone is loitering about the forum ;)

Thanks for your feedback guys!

I thought I had posted earlier Tara but must not have clicked send. I'll still keep my eyes and ears open but things are very quiet.........honestly, the country seems to be on hold until we have our elections on 7th September. Hopefully after that there may be a positive pick up with industry in the country.

Often it is just a piece of luck, a conversation with someone who knows of employment going, or some other stroke of timing that gets a job or sponsorship, so don't give up, keep plugging away.

• Like 1

@HEJJ - Thanks. We have been in touch with Denzil and he has helped us as much as he possibly can. He's gone very quiet of late though - any idea what has happened to him?

He just got a promotion so I assume that he is under a lot of stress and pressure.

Thanks Andrea - we don't generally follow politics, but it will be interesting to see how things pan out in September - hopefully for the better for all concerned.

There is certainly not a lack of jobs available, as we have been applying daily, however, having said that, I have noticed that much of the vacancies are temporary/contractual based with the view to being long term.

Thanks Ottg - we actually started doing this in the beginning of the year, so this is a great reminder to crack on at it again!

I'll be sure to post our findings on the thread.

P.S Andrea - I see Rudd is losing points fast and furiously ;)