TQO

At present we only qualify for the 457 visa until hubby can secure better marks for either a 6-band = 186/187 or a 7-band = 489 visas, or that elusive 8-band for the 190 visa.

All the same, we need to secure work before we land.

We have been hard at the job applications (both online and direct e-mailing) since receiving the positive skills assessment in July and were wondering what exactly the etiquette is in respect of applying for work and responding to feedback. If you get an email stating, "thank you for your efforts, but you have been unsuccessfull etc.", would it be acceptable to enquire as to why you were unsuccessfull?

I know for many companies it will be because we do not have the right to live and work in Aus, but perhaps it is that hubby is over qualified, doesn't have Aus experience or is barking up the wrong tree ....?

Furthermore, we have all but exhausted the recruitment agencies listings and have now been prompted to start contacting companies directly. Do you email the general "info" contact initially and then follow up with a phone call? Or phone first, find out who and where the hiring department is and then contact them directly?

And lastly, is it necessary to attach the IELTS and Skills Assessment outcome letters/certificates, or any other relevant documentation sans the cover letter and CV to your applications or wait for them to be requested?

What has been your approach with the above and/or how would you/did you tackle this?

Edited by TQO

I would start on the company career web page listing there jobs or telling you who to contact for jobs. I would also keep an eye out for the job expo thing they do once a year in SA, last year they did it at Gallager.

You may also find it a good idea to possible fly to Oz for a couple of weeks and go hunt for a job wit a sponsorship. You would most likely have a better chance at a job in a rural area then in one of he main cities so look in regional areas as well.

hi there

I think one thing to remember if you applied for a position directly at the company is that the regret email you receive is an automated reply and sent in bulk. I know people take it kind of personally sometimes but the systems are electronic and regrets are usually in bulk.

That said, I also think its a very good idea to contact the enquiries person on the advert after you have received the regret. I have done so and on the majority of emails I got nice personal emails back stating that there is nothing wrong with my CV but they would have preferred me being in the country etc...there were different reasons but they were always very polite and helpful.

hope it helps...good luck with the job hunting

• Like 2

Thanks for the feedback.

@Chzaau, unfortunately we are not financially in a position to do any trips down under save for the big move, so that isn't an option sadly :(

@Totjie, we have had the bulk email responses, but many have come from emails "with names" and signatures, so my feeling is, what have we got to lose by asking - they can either reply or ignore.