Now we are here... Making it work.

GideonVD

Crown lager is growing on me ;)

• Like 1

aaagh....wash your mouth out......try Great Northern.

• Like 1

One thing I will miss is the local craft brew that I am really enjoying at the moment. How big is the Craft Beer industry in Oz?

One thing I will miss is the local craft brew that I am really enjoying at the moment. How big is the Craft Beer industry in Oz?

Rest assured. Huuuuuuge.

Australia is beer heaven.

Rest assured. Huuuuuuge.

Australia is beer heaven.

That made my day! I think a Tiddly Toad is in order for this evening!

I'm still trying them all out :P

I'm still trying them all out :P

So am I... 6 years later....

• Like 1

That made my day! I think a Tiddly Toad is in order for this evening!

Check out the website for Dan Murphy's, the best bottle store in the world, an check out how many Australian and craft beer varieties they have.

The prices are scary if you're coming from SA, booZe is expensive in Aus, but when you earn dollars you get used to it.

I'm a Dan Murphy's fan myself..............never mind the craft beers, what about all the amazing ciders available now...............slurp.

• Like 2

Check out the website for Dan Murphy's, the best bottle store in the world, an check out how many Australian and craft beer varieties they have.

The prices are scary if you're coming from SA, booZe is expensive in Aus, but when you earn dollars you get used to it.

Ahem!!! that should be bottle shop where you get your slab of stubbies from.

Ahem!!! that should be bottle shop where you get your slab of stubbies from.

Give the newbies a break, they're still learning the lingo, so I choon it in a way they can verstaan.

• Like 2

Choon them it's a Bottlo, round the corner from the Servo.......................

• Like 1

Choon them it's a Bottlo, round the corner from the Servo.......................

With Salvos collecting outside.

And right across the Salvo's :P

With Salvos collecting outside.

Bwahahaha.... Just saw this now... Oops ;)
  • Like 1

And right across the Salvo's :P

The Bloke that works at the Salvos was on his smoko in the arvo but his boss went troppo...

3 September 2013

Have to first mention a major thanks to Mara and her hubby for helping us out with some necessities :) Much appreciated.

Today I was slightly irritated. Bayley's local agent Kent Transport contacts us telling us our container has arrived (flippen fast :o) and that it should be ready to deliver by the 13th or 20th, depending on AQIS. They don't do deliveries on a Saturday, so now I'm being forced to take the only paid leave day I've managed to earn so far to take a Friday off, although the company I work at was only willing to give me the 20th. So now Kent comes along with that I now have to pay storage and handling fees since it will be more than 10 days from arrival. :( That's one hidden cost nobody told us about and I would warn everybody to look out for. So now I had to fork over $700 for the fees to lock the delivery date.

Not a nice way to go... but at least our stuff is closer to being with us now. Just a matter of time.

Wow, $700 for that is quite a bit, even if you earn in dollars. I'd be more than "slightly" irritated.

• 2 weeks later...

11 September 2013

This was the day I was supposed to get my crappy RSA drivers' license coverted to a Victoria one. Supposed to, as things just didn't wanna work my way.

First issue, had to take an extra hour off at work, which I worked in the previous two days. Got on the teams as calculated by the PTV app I downloaded. My first mistake, thinking 459 Lygon Street, Brunswick and 459 Lygon Street, Carlton being the same place... NOT! Same street, differemt parts of it. O well, eventually got there and then had to wait as the people who handled the conversions where out on lunch. Waited the 30 minutes and just as I was gonna go to them, I realise to my dismay... I took the booking and form for LVD's booking and not my own, including my supporting docs. :( I basically ended up rescheduling and trekking back to work and making it back just in time.

At least having another Saffer working alongside you makes getting used to the new working environment a more livable experience.

14 September 2013

Today I checked our bank account and found to my surprize my first pay-check was deposited into it. This was a nice feeling indeed getting the first $ based income and not having to rely on our savings anymore.

Went to lunch at the Quiet Man with some friends and some new friends. The Quiet Man is currently my favourite Irish restaurant/pub, pity about the area though.

Tomorrow we will go check out the zoo and spend the day with LvD and celebrating my 35th birthday. My first one without our friends and family... it's going to be a little solemn, but I reckon it will be ok.

• 2 weeks later...

20 September 2013

Today I took a day's leave and dropped LvD off at the station. Returned home and waited for the container people to arrive.

At around 8am they pitched up and we started the process of unloading. First thing I noticed, they repacked the stuff in a new container, and there was a hell of a lot more space. This means Bayley's could still have easily fitted those boxes we were forced to leave behind if the idiots that side didn't pack like their arses. :( Anyway, we finished unloading and get the stuff in the right rooms, assembled the bed and this was done and dusted between myself and two Ozzies. I was pooped. Some furniture did obtain some scratches, but nothing was broken. Everything was there. I first set up the TV and stuff, and then relaxed a bit waiting to pick up LvD from the station. Can't tell you how awesome it was to be able to sleep in our own bed again. :D

21 September 2013

Today was the day of the great unpacking. We spent basically the whole day unpacking about 60% of the boxes. Tired got a new meaning to us.

22 September 2013

We finally made it through to about 98% completion. Skyped the parents a bit and had a surprise visit from Mara and hubby. I have to thank them for at least helping taking our minds off all the chaos. Now we just need to organize with Kent removals to take the packing material away.

23 September 2013

Went to work, got some tasks done. Went through to VicRoads Carlton only to find I forgot my passport in my jacket at the office. Hurried back via the trams to the office, snatched my passport and hurried back to them. Got back just as they came back from their lunch breaks, so the friendly lady helped me out quick. Took my mugshot and send me on my way. Now to wait 7 to 10 days for the license to come by post.

Thanks for the thanks...you are making me :blush-anim-cl: !

Hi Gideon

This is a long overdue thank you to you. I have been following your posts for sometime now and it help us tremendously on so many level.

So thank you for taking the time and effort to update and share you experiences with us all. We learn so much from it.

So as to follow your example and in keeping with the spirit of sharing. I have also started a thread so people can learn from that. Every person/persons migration is

unique. Rules and Regulation changes all the time, so it helps to get some current people migrating input. Once more Thank you.

http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php/topic/40431-dont-want-to-be-under-the-covers-only-want-to-contribute/

• Like 1