Now we are here... Making it work.

GideonVD

Hansa, you keep taking the wrong route, come past the airport, then all you have to go through is Bulla, and if you blink, you will miss that as well!

18 August 2013

Today was a really good day. First, we went to get e-tags. Yes, we thought we'd avoid them in RSA... guess not. O well, at least we don't need to try and go the long way around. :P

Secondly, I got invited to my 3rd interview at DST Bluedoor, the development manager was impressed and said welcome onboard. Went back to UXC Professional Services, we sorted out the contract and I signed. I'm now an ICT Consultant working for them and contracted out to DST Bluedoor.

We also got a call back from the rental agency for the house in Sunbury, we were approved for a 12 month contract. So this week we are trying to sort out all the things that need to be delivered to the new rental and getting the other little things.

Wish us luck :)

Edited by GideonVD
  • Like 7

You certainly haven't let any grass grow under your feet (the pair of you).

Well done.

Thanks, yip... motivated and doing all we can as soon as possible. The sooner, the faster we start "living" again ;)

You guys have done exceptionally well in the time you've been here. That's great!

• Like 1

21 August 2013

Today was a very very busy day...

Couple of days before I've registered for AustralianSuper, still need to do LvD's application. :o

And today... we shopped for appliances for the new rental... that being Microwave, Fridge/Freezer, Washer/Dryer, A TV and Vacuum cleaner...

We took Mara's advice, and went to Watergarden to do a little "price warfare" between the local Harvey Norman and Good Guys there... we eventually won out at HN and got a lot of Samsung appliances at a lot cheaper than they were advertised, including delivery :D

Mara will be proud ;)

Edited by GideonVD
  • Like 2

Yeah yeah :P

Well done Gideon...you are a champ, bargaining those prices down, I love it when a plan comes together :ilikeit:

I like the house, checked it out yesterday on my way home from work!

• Like 1

22 August 2013

Another gruelling day done.

First I went for my company induction. Got all informed and such.

Then we went to Ikea to go buy furniture for the new rental. All went well until after we paid and went to the deliveries section. Here we were politely informed that they only do deliveries to Sunbury on Thursdays. This would not work for us. So we ended up putting most of the stuff in the Kia, and had to return the sofa-bed that just would not fit.

Dropped that all off at our current rental. Shot through to Watergardens and looked for an alternative. Found a floor model sofa-bed and negotiated the price down including delivery. So at least that's settled.

Got back to Richmond and Kmart and got the rest. Now tomorrow we move by Rio. Wish us luck. :P

Edited by GideonVD
  • Like 5

25 August 2013

Well, the weekend is done. We are finally in the new house and semi settled.

We still waiting for the ADSL installation to be done. Foxtel is up and running.

Now it's time to get ready for tomorrow morning and the first day at work.

26 October 2013

The commute into town wasn't bad, got there in time and all. But the day itself was a blur of information overload. I was pooped. We met up again and tried to get the train back. First train was filled to the brim, 6 minutes later we found a train with a bit more space, be it standing. O well, I reckon should get better as we get used to it and settle in at work.

That first day and even that first week or so - will be crazy - trying to get into a routine, information overload and trying to fit in at your new jobs, and still trying to settle into your new lives here.

You guys have done well - you are an inspiration to those still on there way.

Hope the week gets better and easier.

• Like 1

28 August 2013

Seems we are settling in a bit better each day. Only problem is in the afternoons, when we get of the train, we basically have to wait 30 minutes for the bus to take us home. So from tomorrow we will be going in by car, parking at the station, and getting back on it as soon as we get back. So at least we can get another half-hour back from our days.

It seriously is a struggle to get time for oneself... above and beyond the daily grind and routine.

Guess that lawnmower man is starting to sound like a good idea now?

Guess that lawnmower man is starting to sound like a good idea now?

O hell yes, you should just text LvD their number/name if you got it. Will definitely rather get them to do it. ;)

If I can give my opinion, on the parking/commuting thing: It does not get better. If you find it a drag at first, you don't get used to it, you just get sick of it.

How long is your total commute at the moment?

I also don't find that services ever really improve, they just get worse because transport/government departments don't act proactively, they only act when things are dire, and usually then it's only a band-aid solution until in a few years time commuter growth makes life hard again. So if you're struggling with the idea of standing room only now, it will start to get to you, and will probably not improve as more and more people arrive in Melbourne. As long as politicians and transport ministers catch taxis and hire cars instead of public transport, they will never act.

Call it pessimism, I call it realism.

How's the parking situation at your station in the morning? That's another thing to note. In some areas if you're not at the station by 7:15, you're out of luck for a parking.

I think that at this early stage, it's important to think about whether you want to have a long commute for the rest of your days, considering you both work in the CBD. The biggest thing that got to me when we had a long commute was if we got the call from daycare that our kids were sick, we were looking at 2 hours minimum before we could get to them or a $150 taxi. Since we have changed our situation and live closer to work, it's now max 1 hour on the train or 30 minutes in a cab.

Our lives have changed so much for the better now that we're not slogging 60km to work each day.

Just food for thought.

Parking is fine as we get there just before 7:00am. We might consider trying something a little closer in on the network if the commute gets us too down in the dumps... Maybe after say about 6 months or so.

Ouch :( My commute between South Melbourne and Malvern East is a breeze - 20-30 minutes by car in peak hour traffic, or 34 minutes by tram. The nice thing is that I get on at the first tram stop in the mornings, so there's always a seat. I'd rather pay a bit more to live close to work than waste hours and hours each week getting to and from the office.

Glad to hear you're settling in nicely :)

• Like 1

Problem is we need space for our furniture. But thanks anyway :)

.I think that at this early stage, it's important to think about whether you want to have a long commute for the rest of your days, considering you both work in the CBD. The biggest thing that got to me when we had a long commute was if we got the call from daycare that our kids were sick, we were looking at 2 hours minimum before we could get to them or a $150 taxi. Since we have changed our situation and live closer to work, it's now max 1 hour on the train or 30 minutes in a cab.

Our lives have changed so much for the better now that we're not slogging 60km to work each day.

Just food for thought.

Out of curiosity: surely there are many business "pockets" with large companies in a huge city like Melbourne, so you could get jobs that are not in the CBD?

The big companies with jobs seem to be in the CBD and the south-eastern suburbs.

Edited by GideonVD

Out of curiosity: surely there are many business "pockets" with large companies in a huge city like Melbourne, so you could get jobs that are not in the CBD?

Not really. Yes it's possible, but not the norm. Most big corporates are in the CBD and most professionals work in the CBD.

Tradesmen, teachers, doctors, nurses, manufacturing workers, etc usually are able to work in the suburbs and smaller regional centres, but generally all the white collar stuff takes place in the CBD.

The "business park" type set up that we have in Joburg where you have little satellite CBD's doesn't really work the same in Aus.

• Like 1

Problem is we need space for our furniture. But thanks anyway :)

Yeah. You'd pay well over $500/w to get a big place close to the CBD. Not sure what your rent is like now, or if you'd had a look at West. Point Cook is great value for money, although public transport is lagging behind. Can't imagine it's much worse than what you're experiencing now.

Personally, I'd gladly travel a bit further to get my kid into a good school, but it must suck a bit that both you and your partner's impacted.

Have you identified a favourite beer yet? :D