Winter in Canberra

Usha

Hi All,

I was just wondering what's the winters in ACT actually like?

Is it something that South Africans can handle?

I'm only used to Gauteng winters....and am just looking for some honest opinions out there....

While we still have a lot of sun in JHB are most of the winter days in ACT sunny?

I hear there is rain on occassion.......

anyway - just let me know what it's like out there at this time of the year?

Thanks,

Usha

If you're used to JHB or Pta winters, it's a matter of degree - it was -5 this morning, but after the fog lifted (in some areas) the sun was out and it was quite nice.

The one thing you won't be used to is the fact it occasionally rains ..... Brrrrrr especially if the wind blows as well - then it's OBS time.

I have bought OBS and Amarula in Canberra.

As OBD says, If you are coming from JHB I don't think you will notice it too much, except for the days when the wind is howling down the Snowies and we have had good snowfalls. As for rain, this is the time of year when we usually get our rains, last week it rained everyday.

You may wake up with fog - very thick that flights get cancelled - and in an hour or so it has lifted to the most beautiful blue sky. If there is no wind its wonderful out. We head out for a bushwalk or a walk around LBG. Very pretty - especially come spring time.

I have learnt to dress like a Canberran - its all about layers - because if you head out early - yesterday I went to the rink at 9h30 - my car said it was 2 degrees. When I came out the rink at 12h30 it was about 13 degrees. One extreme to the other. Boots, scarves, gloves, lovely beanies, wonderful rugging up stuff - I don't believe you will suffer too much.

I love winter in Canberra, so it doesn't bother me, its the heat in Canberra that I cant stand.

• Like 1

Funny, I HATE heat, but after 10 years in Perth, Canberra doesn't seem so bad.

Edited by OubaasDik

Does it get warm in Canberra? I can't stand the cold, I love the heat, so Queensland fits me nicely............can anyone tell me why Thredbo is always so so cold?

We had a cold spell this week and were severely traumatised, I had to go out and buy onesie's for all of us, hysterical, I hope no-one knocks on the door and sees us.

Lol how low did it go to traumatize you so much you bought onesies ? I have chuckeled at the onesies in the stores, dont seem to be any buttons in special places - surely you must freeze when you visit the ladies ? Or is there a trick ?

I love the cold, never did in Durban, but when you wake up in the morning and the frost has been heavy, it looks magical.

In summer, in gets hot, well not according to OBD, but I find it frazzles me. Last summer we were heading very close to 40 degrees. The asphalt gets sticky its so hot ! The ice rink looks like a duck pond.

Gets a little scary when the winds arrive and you see smoke. This year was the 10th anniversary of the canberra bush fires, and we live in the area that burnt, this summer we had many hot, hazy smoke filled days. People were stressing down south. The heat is very dry, no humidity. It also doesn't rain very much to cool us down. And no such thing as a beautiful thunderstorm, like the ones in Africa.

I don't think I could live in Canberra without heating and cooling in my little house.

• Like 1

Sure OBD has his own moonshine in the back yard, OBDBS

Sure OBD has his own moonshine in the back yard, OBDBS

In a Texas accent:

We ain't talking Moonshine, Boy - all the BS here is from Public Relations and Politics ....

Still frikkin' cold, though .....

You will make our day if you say that OBS is readily available in Oz :D

They have something here called Tawney that is similar to OBS :ilikeit:

The onsie has a little escape part at the back, you can pull the pants part down slightly to answer natures call.

• Like 1