Queen's Birthday long weekend

Bob

At last weekend's get-together (Sunday 2nd April), a couple of people wondered if we could meet on a regular (monthly / quarterly) basis.

On leaving, I approached a couple of people to gauge interest in camping one weekend during the Queen's Birthday long weekend (Thursday night / Friday through to Monday) early in June.

Many of you will have little more than the 20kgs of luggage allowed on the plane, while others will have the kitchen sink with them.

Camping is cheap.

You can pick a good three-man or five-man tent up for $100 and use it to camp around South Australia and interstate cheaply.

Sleeping mattresses aren't all that dear either, to ensure a reasonable night's sleep.

Cooking gear can be provided and shared out for all to use.

I've rung the National Parks rangers and booked a dozen camping sites in Mambray Creek, a three to four hour drive directly north of Adelaide on the way to Pt. Augusta, so . . . . . first in, best dressed!

There are four definitely coming, so far (Thursday 5th April) with another three possibles.

Once the twelve sites are taken up, it will just about be impossible to get further sites as it is a popular venue for South Australians on public holidays, being within "coo-ee" of Adelaide (3 to 4 hours)

There is a cabin there, which unfortunately is taken for the weekend in June.

Cost is a $7 entry fee for each vehicle . . . . a once only fee . . . and $15 each night camping fee.

A Friday / Saturday / Sunday overnight stay with vehicle will therefore cost the princley sum of $52 in total camping fees for the whole weekend.

The main camping place holds 60 campers, with toilet facilities, hot showers and barbeque area, and I've managed to get 10 sites, grouped in clusters, out of the 12 sites, in that ground, with the last two being a few hundred metres west of the main camp ground.

I will take one of these sites in my caravan away from the main camping ground to give more opportunity for others to experience the Aussie bush in company with others.

Campfires are allowed, with firewood being provided. You mustn't burn the local timber! . . . so I'll bring firewood in for a blaze to sit around, toasting marshmallows for the kids and cooking the roast on an Australian "camp oven".

You guys might like to show us dumb Aussies how to live in the bush with your potgeries (or whatever it's called!).

There are day hiking trails thro' the National Park, one in particular going to Alligator Gorge, a few kms north of the campsite. Some hikes are easy, others more challenging, so all ages can experience the wildlife that Mt. Remarkable Nat. Park has to offer.

Forget all the rumours about spiders and snakes. You won't see any in this national park!

You will see kangaroo, wallaby and emu in plenty, however. . . . in the wild. . . . with kookaburras "laughing" in the trees, swooping from tree to tree.

www.parks.sa.gov.au/mt_remarkable/index.htm

check out the website.

The park is easily accessible by road, having bitumen road right up to the campsite and a short gravel road on further in the Park to the day-time picnic area.

Gee wizz Bob, you are really getting things organised for the SAAus Saffers! Wish you were here in Sydney!

SAS

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Bob - Thanks for the PM about this and now I spotted this post (been off the forum for a couple of days). Wanted to buzz you on your mobile today and discuss.

It actually sounds very cool, although I'm not much of a camper....but tell me, won't it be very cold? Sorry to sound so naff, but I have vivid memories of the coldest night of my life in the Blue Mountains, outside of Sydney, exactly 10 years ago but in April.... :ilikeit: I thought it was my last night on earth, and we were sleeping in a van, not even a tent...

Just wondering...

Bron

Edited by Bronwyn

We're in ....

Bron, you need to just have the right gear to fight off the cold. I always look like the Michelin Man when I go to bed at night on a camping trip - and the only part of me that's visible is usually my nose, so I can breathe... I wear long johns and a good thermal vest under my pajamas, with a woolly hat pulled down over my ears, scarf wrapped around my neck and mouth, eye mask (serves a double purpose - keeps the cold out and the other campers' torch lights - velvet, of course!) and warm socks (sometimes two pairs), then, I have a thick down sleeping bag as well. :ilikeit:

Somewhere there's a photo that Marius took of me all tucked up on a camping trip - I'll see if I can find it. The family always teases me about it, but they're the ones moaning in the morning!

Edited by Annette

Hi guys. Sorry this isn't strictly on the topic but just to say that my wife, baby and I are moving to Adelaide next week after 4 years in Sydney (my wife's family are from Adelaide). Anyway, I would love to catch up with some fellow South Africans (and hopefully watch a bit of sport)! I will be working in the city and living with the outlaws in Hope Valley whist we look for a house (probably in the Glenelg / Henley area). Cheers, Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Five weeks to go before Ginnie and I get the campfire going with the coffee on for all the troops turning up to Mt. Remarkable Nat. Park for the last long weekend in a few months.

I'll be bringing firewood for the three days and will try to get some walking guides for the various trails in the Park.

I booked 12 sites with ParksSA and there are still a couple of sites available if any South African families would be interested in coming for the Queen's Birthday long weekend . . Friday night 8th, Sat 9th, Sun10th to Mon morning 11th June.

Toilet facilities and hot showers available 24/7

walking trails in the Park:

DSC00543.jpg

wildlife on the trail

DSC00546.jpg

some of the rocky scenery in the Park near the campsite

DSC00541.jpg

Hi Bob,

I know we've discussed it over the phone, but just to let you know that the plan is for us to join the happy campers group on the Friday. I'll need to add to my camping gear if we want to join you guys, so can anyone suggest a retail outlet where I can go for camping "stuff" -- I'd rather spend a few dollars and get whatever we're still missing in terms of gear as we'll be camping quite a bit from here on. I will also need to probably hire a trailer, so need some tips on where to go for that too. We live in the North Eastern suburbs (Newton).

Cheers,

Lourens

Thanks for the photo's Bob. I couldn't quite work out whether your "Wildlife on the trail" label belonged to the photo above or below it ... ;):ilikeit:

Lourens, there is a Ray's Outdoors factory outlet at Harbour Town which has a camping gear sale on at the moment. Mind you, the gear which is on sale is only about 5 % of the total stock, but it's still worth a look. The prices are quite a bit cheaper than at the big ray's outdoors in the city.

There is also a camping and outdoor shop on Main North road. We have driven past a few times on the way to somewhere but have never stopped. It looks good and has all the tents pitched in the yard so that you can see what they really look like. I think it's called Discount Camping. :D

Ray's Outdoors, about half way along West Terrace, in the city, stock just about everything for the big outdoors . . . . tents, sleeping gear, sleeping mattresses, cooking stoves, gas lamps, chairs, fishing gear, Engel fridges, etc. . . . . everything, including the kitchen sink!

Go into the store and sign up as a "member".

That way you are entitled to 6.5% discount on all their gear! :ilikeit:

There's a Ray's Outdoors at Main North Road, Prospect also.

Don't forget to check out the "factory outlet" at HarbourTown, from what Annette's said.

Snowy's Outdoors is worth a look too, at the beginning of Richmond Road about 400 metres on the left.

Edited by Bob