457 Sponsorship needed URGENTLY

deBeer00

My husband is a qualified boilermaker with a 457 sponsorship but unfortunately his employer has advised that he is no longer going to be able to employ him and we need to find another sponsor as soon as possible. I have an HR/Administration background and have been doing Recruitment for the last six months but have no formal qualifications unfortunately and have not been able to find employment or a 457 sponsorship either. We currently live in North of Brisbane but would look at relocating in need. We have lived in Australia for four years now and cannot go back to South Africa. Any assistance that can be provided will be much appreciated.

Is there anyway you can apply for a p.r. visa? Otherwise what industry does hubby work in, can he try mining companies like BMA etc.

Perhaps if you can lodge a p.r. application you can get a bridging visa. The main thing is that with the new changes to the 457 you now have 90 days to find a new sponsor instead of the previous 28.

Thanks for the feedback - we no longer qualify for PR following the changes last July which is why we need a sponsor asap - the 90 days has not started yet but time flies so quickly we don't want to wait till the last minute. We are looking at all the advertised roles and have applied for several with no luck so far. Finding someone with a connection still seems the best way to find a job here hence our request for assistance.

I wish I could help, but as you know there are such a lot of cut backs and job losses at the moment. So soes that mean you can never get p.r. and will have to keep on getting 457's?

I also had that question, if you can't get PR, then aren't you just delaying the inevitable, you would have to come back to South Africa one day ?

Also out of interest, you have been there for 4 years now, the 457 is only valid for 4 years, so I guess the 457 visa has reached it term ?

A 457 can be valid for whatever timeframe the sponsor nominates, anywhere between 3 months and 4 years and you can keep going on 457's until you are too old to qualify. There was talk of reducing it to a maximum of 3 but nothing came of this.

Is it just independent p.r. you can't get? Is there any chance the employer would keep him a little longer and sponsor you so you could get p.r. and then move on? Otherwise he is going to have to pay for a flight to RSA

I'm also very keen to know why you haven't secured PR in 4 years and why you can't.

My hubby is a Boilermaker, (and coincidentally I am in a similar line of work to you) and we currently only have sufficient IELTS scores to apply for the 457 visa, so if there is any information that you get out of this that can also assist our future endeavours, it would be greatly appreciated.

And good luck...!!!

Edited by TQO
  • Like 1

thanks for your comments - our situation is a complicated one as we did not start out on a 457 visa. Due to age we no longer qualify for PR and we need to keep getting 457 sponsorship which is why we are looking for an employer to sponsor us now. Will update on any progress or information we come across that may help anyone else along the way.

• Like 1

Oh, that sucks, but even with the 457 there is an age limit unless you nominate for an exemption. I wish I could think of something positive to advise you.

The date is finished for this one but try them anyway just in case http://australia.trovit.com/jobs/index.php/cod.frame/url.http%253A%252F%252Fwww.konnecting.com%252Fboilermaker-welder%252Fjobs%252F464%252F154/id_ad.r1M1BS21p1M1d/what_d.boilermaker%20sponsorship/origin.2/section.1/section_type.1/pop.1

And have you checked if his skill is still on the CSOL

Thanks - had seen the old job advert but they don't seem to have anything current,

His skills are on the list (Metal Fabricator) but age is the same problem - if you are over 50 then it does not count

Thanks again though - appreciate your support!

Just to correct the info here, there is no age limit on the 457 visa, so that won't be a barrier. The bigger issue will be whether an employer will be interested in someone who can't commit to a long term in Australia.

There's an age exemption on employer sponsors PR visas if the applicant had been employed by the sponsor for at least 4 years and has earned the high income threshold for each of those 4 years in base salary, but as a boilermaker, it's unlikely that his base salary will meet that benchmark (I think it's $123K for this year).

Wish I had an easy answer, but good luck!

This is a very long shot but give it a go. My son is an apprentice Boilermaker with this company but here in Perth, I see they have a branch in Brisbane, may it is worth a phone call to see if they are looking:

http://www.aerison.com/contact-us/

Good luck.

Alan

Join this Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/302551099834847/ and have a look at the available roles there. I have noticed roles for boilermakers. There are often roles in the mining sector. Good luck!

Edited by SASydneysider

• 2 weeks later...

Hi debeer - have you had any luck as yet? Please keep us posted and good luck with the job hunting :ilikeit: