So we start this journey, but why are we doing this?

theres16

We’ve been chatting with friends and family many times over the past couple of years about the need and potential options regarding emigration, but since the birth of our daughter these chats have become more serious discussions between my husband and I. Even though we’ve always been annoyed by people bad-mouthing South Africa and complaining about the crime and poor service delivery, recent events such as the passing of the secrecy bill and our infamous Julius has but a different perspective on our future, and more importantly, our daughter’s future. So, many questions came about we had to answer to each other and ourselves about the pros and cons of staying in South Africa and whether emigration is really something we want to do.

On the one hand, I love South Africa (and always will) – I grew up in the 90′s and have many many happy childhood memories of summer holidays in Durban and winter weekends in the Kruger. As any child should, I do not recall any bad experiences related to race, gender or the likes and happily played with whoever was willing at the local park / swimming pool. As I got older and more of these amenities became unsafe / unhygienic, I was fortunate enough to have outgrown the need for them and the local cinema / ice rink or Umhlanga instead of Durban was a good replacement. South Africa is still a beautiful country and if you overlook most of the problems it can be a good place to live.

But that’s exactly the problem. We got so used to “overlooking” that we don’t see the magnitude of the current degrading situation regarding crime, education and most importantly the political instability. Firstly crime has been a well-known problem for many years and we have just accepted the norm of having at least 2 -3 layers of security around our houses (we have 4 after the last burglary) and that it takes 5 minutes to unlock everything to get into your house. This includes the time you were parked in the road instead of your driveway for a quick exit in case you get hi-jacked (learnt that lesson the hard way as well). Secondly the education standard degrades and increasingly shocking statistics are tabled every year. In 2012, out of a group of 100 Grade 1 pupils, only 40 will reach Grade 12. Of those, 28 will pass matric and four will enter university. Of the four, only one will graduate. Again, many of us have accepted that we need to get our children onto some private school waiting list from a very early age, or worst case at least from high-school if you can find a decent English primary school. Lastly, the political situation – I can’t remember when last I watched the news not cringing / being scared of what is going to happen next.

To be honest, I’m not saying “we’re the next Zim” and I could live with these issues and find a solution/alternative to most or just complain about it like everyone else, but the final question that changed everything for me was: Would my only daughter accept it like me when she has to make the decision? I trust that she will be in a good enough position to make an educated decision to – and based on 20 years of statistics and reading the news, I’m pretty confident she’ll take the emigration route.

So this led us to finally decide (3 May 2013) that we would probably not survive seeing my daughter off at the airport at 18 years old and that a first world country (even though more expensive) would be a better life for us all in the end. Even though we’d live our lives without grandparents and family, we will at least make sure our grandchildren grows up with them.

Edited by theres16
  • Like 9

HI Theres...your last sentence is exactly one of my biggest reasons...somewhere in the archives of this forum I have written an essay regarding my reasons...but seeing my children off as they leave SA as young adults leaving me here was a big one and not an option for me...not when I have the opportunity to take them away and go with them.

I grew up about a decade before you, in the 80's...in Schoemansville at the Hartebeespoortdam..and I very distinctly remember that we did not have a fence and as a young child of 7-13 years old, we roamed the streets and specifically the bush-area next to Schoemansville...we built make-believe castles there. We were never ever molested by anyone.

I cannot imagine allowing a child in today's world that freedom. And I desperately want my children to experience that sense of freedom. I cannot even let my child walk to the Spar that is 1 block away.

There are of course thousands of other reasons too..Im sure they are the same as yours. Good luck with your journey :)

• Like 2

Welcome and you are absolutely doing the right thing and reminding us what we are in it for too......

You have made the right decision. Good luck!

You are fortunate, making this decision whilst you are still young. Hubby and I left RSA when we were both 44, our sons were 24 and 18, and although it was a huge adjustment for us all, it was definitely the right thing to do. Nineteen years later, we are still adamant that we are so lucky to be here.

I have been back to RSA four times since we left, the last time being about eight years ago. On my last visit I realised that I had absolutely nothing left there to warrant exposing myself to the volatile situation of being there with regard to crime. I made the decision, on the flight home, that it was my last trip, and since then I have assisted my family to visit me in Australia, giving them a taste of the peaceful way I live here.

• Like 1

We left RSA five years ago with our young teens, and this week I once again gave thanks that my kids are not in RSA. My son got his Ps and started driving alone on Tuesday. I was besides myself.

Then I think I could be in Durban doing this - no ways.

Im a big girl and know what goes on on roads around the world, but thank you Lord that my boy doesn't have to drive on a south African road.

• Like 2

Excellent post. Welcome and good luck!

Beautifully written - your application seems to be happening fast - good luck!

Thanks everyone for the support and good luck to you too, it's YOU guys that makes this process easier and gives us hope with sharing your stories :)