Junior Mechanical Engineer: Opportunities

GMyers

Hi guys,

I have just joined SAAustralia Forums today and so far have found it quite humbling!

I graduated with a B.Sc (Honours) in Mechanical Engineering, from UCT in 2011.

I have a 476 Visa (18 month, last entry October 2013), with my work horizons firmly set for Aus.

It terms of my career path, because I'm young, I am opened minded as to which avenue to enter. Even if it means working part time/internships for a couple of months before landing the engineering job. However, my current job (Project Engineer) entails custom mobile HVAC Design & Project Management. I can provide my full CV on request.

I would really appreciate help on the following :

How is the mechanical engineering market at the moment?

Would my experience post a problem as most jobs refer to Senior/Lead/Principal positions?

Is part time work for young foreigners easy to come by?

List of potential companies/contacts that would be interested?

Regards

Grant

Hi Grant

Welcome with the forum, I can't help with most of the questions.

I am sure you are aware that on this visa you can work in any position you wanted, even outside your field of qualification. However, tactically if you are considering a longer term stay in Australia it is worthwhile looking at where your points will stand towards the end of your stay. Skilled employment in Australia for over 1 year using your engineering skills will lead to a further 5 points.

Some of the engineering companies have specific times of year for graduate intakes so it might be worth checking those out and often advertise on www.seek.com.au.

I do have a list (it is a bit old) of companies if you want to email me via my website (see signature) I can send you a copy.

Tee

Also check out the websites for BMA, Anglo American and Arrow Energy, they have graduate programs in place and you might be able to enrol.

Hi guys!

Thanks for the feedback!

I've called a few of the big engineering companies in Aus (advertising graduate vacancies) and they all seem to say the same thing. They tend to employ/seek local graduates to groom.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough experience, to apply for the more senior positions. Therefore, finding sponsorship or a job from SA would be tough?

Perhaps, the smaller private companies would take an international junior engineer?

I'm not sure how employment friendly Australians are towards foreigners and how difficult it is even if you are in Aus seeking?

Grant

Hi Grant

I work at an one one the large engineering companies in Perth. At the moment work its really tough, Graduate Engineers in Australia do

Vac work whilst doing there degrees , and those companies that they do vac work at tend to keep them as Junior Engineers.

This year I have see perhaps 2-3 juniors , where in the past there have been around 20.

You will find it difficult to get a job sponsorship ,in the current climate with no real experience.

Don't give up. Good luck

Enrica is right, numbers in the graduate programs, traineeships, apprenticeships etc have gone right down.

I can't really offfer advice except to say when you get over, try the medium to smaller engineering companies who probably struggled to find engineers when the mines were poaching them.

Hi Grant

I assume that you had your qualification assessed through Engineers Australia. They have a PDP program for young graduates in partnership with engineering companies. While local engineers may get preference why not trying them.

https://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/professional-development/professional-development-program#pdp_partners

When you scroll to the end of the EA page you will find a list of participating companies. Contact them!

In Australia the Association for HVAC is www.airah.org.au but most of the people are tradies and not engineers.

Also join relevant groups on www.linkedin.com and start to ask relevant questions; NOT for a job. Let people in the group start to see your name/interest. Move your questions towards the economic down swing and ask about HVAC eng opportunities within the building industry. Once you see a match start to contact them individually in private. Ask them for pointers.

Edited by ottg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback!

I've actually just been recruited at one of the large EPM companies constructing SA's power stations. So I thought that I would rather get good "large" project exposure in the Power Generation field. However, I will follow OTTG advice and contact the companies in the meantime, that could be interested in my skills for the future.

Does anyone know about Australia's future power plans? I.e if they will be in need of mechanical power generation engineers in the next 2-3 years?

Grant