ACT state sponsorship

MandyW

Hi all

We are still waiting for Vetassess results, but in the mean time getting all the info for ACT state sponsorship together.

If anyone is willing to share some of their info they found, I would really appreciate it.

We are a family of 4 - myself, hubby, and two kids who will be 4 and 6 by the time we go. (Hoping for Jan 2014.)

Thanks a mill!

Edited by MandyW
  • Like 1

I cant give you any info, only wishing you good luck. We also applying to ACT, but using an agent so I am just following them and what they say we need to do...

Will def help, I found the commitment statement a trick but just surf the net on canberra esp the canberra gov site has loads of info, just make it personal though as in why you as an individual will fit into the canberra lifestyle, order the info pack from the web site, they will post it to you for free even to RSA, settlement statement is easiest in a spreadsheet format, when you see a job ad on the net print the whole advert and full job description asap as they dissapear fast, (I kept short cuts initially only to find the ad gone), you need at most 6 job examples, otherwise its just the regular IELTS, Vetassess etc........our kids are exact same age...........welcome to ask questions.........

• Like 1

Thanks Bams. We're also using Migrate2Oz and our timelines are similar. Good luck.

@Mikeleigh, thanks for the tips. I'm leaving the Canberra committment statement to my husband as he writes really well, while i'm doing all the more concrete cost research. I did order the info pack from them and folowed up, so they're sending another one. Hopefully it gets here soon. I'll definitely start printing job ads though.

Same boat as you Mandy - IELTS done and waiting for VETASSESS so I can continue with ACT sponsorship application. Will be interesting to see how our timelines work out :)

I can assure you that although it is a lot of effort, but worth the while.

I have been in Canberra for 2 weeks now and love it.

My only advice is be cautious as to the type of Visa you apply for. A 457 is easier but it is short term.

We went direct and got permanent residency from the start.

Good luck.

Hope to see you here soon.

• Like 1

Hey Mistermoose, good luck. Race you to the finish line ;)

DavidSmulders, good to hear you're loving it so far. Good luck with settling in. Look forward to updates and tips from you. We are applying for a 190 visa, so lucky us, pr here we come.

• Like 2

Hey guys, anyone out there know of cheap furnished rental for family of 4 in Canberra? I am trying to do the reasearch on the initial move over there but am battling to find accomodation. Is it seriously going to cost us around R20 000 for 2 weeks? Yikes! We don't spend that on a family holiday! Our kids would be happy with a spot on the floor, but so many places seem to be for 2 people max. The minute you add space for an extra 2, the prices rocket.

Any hep appreciated

xxx

Shazpas posted a little while back on a place she stayed and recommended " Tea Gardens B & B " up North - and someone else mentioned Canberra Village - cabin type accommodation.

Thanks Lyn. I wasn't sure if Tea Gardens could accomodate 4 of us, but have sent them a mail. The Canberra village looks great though. Thanks a mill.

Just a thought - I think Toitjie stayed there, maybe sent her a PM and she can give you a better idea.

Lyn is correct, we stayed at the Canberra motor village somewhere in the middle of Canberra...cant remember the exact suburb. But it was great for short term

I dont think its too great for say longer than 3 weeks...but people are different. I need some space and the cabins are small. that said, you do not spend all your time there.

the cabins do have everything you would need, just need to buy your own food and stuff. there is a fantastic swimming pool and jacuzzi which was a life saver. The kids spent hours there

Sounds good, wonder if you could secure a rental in 3 weeks?

Okay, so Tea Gardens B&B can accomodate the four of us (kids on sleeper couch in lounge) for a great price of only $630 a week. So we'll probably try get in there once we now exact dates. Still waiting for Canberra Villiage to get back to me.

We are planning on trying to book for 2 weeks initially and hope and pray to get a rental asap. How long is the average time frame to find a rental? We're also trying to work out timelines to try get our container there so that we don't have to stay at a B&B for too long, but also want to get a rental fast so we dont have to pay for storage for the container.

Not a huge ask is it?!?!

Thats a good price...especially with breakfast included

For the motor village you wont get away with less than $ 180 per night for 4 people...and then breakfast is not included

good luck with everything, I hope you find a rental soon!

As a matter of interest, what is a good month or time of the year to land in Canberra, Job wise, avoiding holiday rush etc for accommodation etc, or for schooling ?

As a matter of interest, what is a good month or time of the year to land in Canberra, Job wise, avoiding holiday rush etc for accommodation etc, or for schooling ?

+1

I don't know if one can ever pin point a good month. We arrived exactly one month before Christmas - schools close for the summer holiday a lot later than in RSA - about a week before Christmas - and reopen early Feb.

If I was to say not a good month for arriving - I would say January. Schools are on holiday, a lot of business has shut up shop for around 3 weeks, and students looking for accommodation too - Canberra can get very quiet over this time.

Just my 2c

• Like 1

We aren't sure when the best time to go is. But we are planning to go mid Jan 2014. My son will be starting grade1 there, so we really wanted him to start at the beginning of the year. Financially it also makes the most sense for us personally to go then. It's after the December rush, and alothough it may still be considered partly peak season, the timing works for us then.

I think it's also easier to go in summer so we can pack more but less bulky clothing in our flight luggage and have space for more kids toys, etc, than to try pack warm stuff for winter.

Who knows though. Jan works for us, so hopefully visas and house sales work out for then.

We looking at the same time........see u there......

Oh and our son will also be in gr 1 then too

Personally I would not worry too much about when is the right time or the wrong time - just get here. Remember we are from South Africa - we make a plan.

And you get to spend one more Christmas at home. That first Christmas, exactly one month after landing was the worst Christmas ever.

You'll be right.

We recently went through the whole process of applying for ACT sponsorship. Not nearly as scary as everything sounds. If you like you can send me a mail and I can send you a copy of my commitment statement. Make sure you do as much research as possible on the cost of living. What I did was to use other people's budgets on the forum and updated the costs. Simply google costs of living in Canberra and you should find a lot of templates. Good luck see you on the other side.

PM me if you need any examples of what we've done..........

Thanks guys. I think we have enough info for the commitment statement and received our info pack, so that should be pretty easy.

@Mikeleigh have you decided on areas to stay yet? I think we're tending towards north and am trying to get info from daycares or preschools for my daughter (4 by then) that offer full day care, but not having too much luck there. If you have any info on that, that'd be great. Thanks