A year done (almost)

AllisonW

Bang on the button again, Allison.

I have wept over so many of your posts (and have missed them). Your candid honesty about this process has truly prepared me to some extent for mine. 6weeks in for us and I can already relate to so many things in your post.

I hope that your journey will become better and easier and that you will feel proud of what you have accomplished (because you SHOULD!)

:hug:

• Like 1

thank you for a great realistic post

its so important for those still on the journey to come over "eyes wide open" that the emotional impacts dont stop at Oliver Tambo

• Like 1

So glad to find your post here today Allison - cant believe its already one year. Well done on everything you have achieved. Its definitely not a journey for the faint hearted.

All the best with securing a job - and let year two be heaps more wonderful than year one.

• Like 2

Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

You say you dont have words of profound advice...I'd say that your post has nothing but profound advice:-)

Beautifully written and brutally honest; I may have to hunt down your previous posts!

Good luck with year 2, if the job doesn't pan out I'd suggest turning your hand to creative writing;-)

C

• Like 3

All, you really have a gift...maybe you should explore your writing skills more instead of tackling the corporate world. I always enjoy reading your posts, so beautifully written, open and honest. Thanx for sharing....your journey is such an inspiration to me.

And if you ever write children's books, or any for that matter..I will be your first customer! :)

• Like 2

Allison, I love to read your posts, thanks for sharing and isn't it amazing how a year has almost passed, We will have been here 6 years in August, I just can't believe it, like you said it has been full of ups and downs, even almost 6 years in I still get emotional. We are in the process now of doing our citizenship and I have been doing all the ground work, getting the copies etc all done and filling out the forms and I just get too emotional and have to leave it, I feel a bit like a traitor, I am grateful to Australia for our new life here but the emotions are still there...

Good luck with you job hunt, the right job is out there for you..

Best of luck,

Jill.

• Like 2

This is an amazing post! Thank you so much for sharing your story in a honest and real way...I so appreciate it when people don't hide the bad parts about things. Gives a much more realistic expectation for the people still at the beginning of the journey.

I hear what you are saying about being a Stay at home mom. It is a great blessing but at the same time can leave the mom feeling so confused about her emotions. I am a stay at home mom...have been for over 4 years now. Before that I was a departmental manager in a Tour Operator...I loved my job. I can totally relate to your feelings of being exhausted, overwhelmed, short tempered and feeling like a parental failure. Being a SAHM is not an easy task. And I like you have often dreamed of work and something to challenge my mind and adult conversation. So I hear where you are coming from. A little part of me is excited at the prospect that I could start working again when we go to Australia...even a half day job. So I wish you all the best in your search for your new challenge. I am sure the right thing will come along for you. ( Just want to add before I get slaughtered by anyone...I know exactly how much of a blessing it is to be at home with the children and I do appreciate it greatly)

Thank you for this post. Sending big hugs...may year 2 be a fantastic year for you as an Aussie :)

• Like 1

(Just want to add before I get slaughtered by anyone...I know exactly how much of a blessing it is to be at home with the children and I do appreciate it greatly)

so sorry to hijack your thread Allison..but I just had to comment on the above :) I had the good fortune of getting 6 months paid maternity leave with my daughter, and 5 with my son...and I remember vividly the comments from friends, family and sometimes hubby (bless him for he did not know)...."you must be well rested, having nothing to do all day, with a sleeping baby and all that..."

Its a blessing to be with your kids...but anyone who dare say its easy, its a breeze, its restful etc...is delusional :)

• Like 2

so sorry to hijack your thread Allison..but I just had to comment on the above :) I had the good fortune of getting 6 months paid maternity leave with my daughter, and 5 with my son...and I remember vividly the comments from friends, family and sometimes hubby (bless him for he did not know)...."you must be well rested, having nothing to do all day, with a sleeping baby and all that..."

Its a blessing to be with your kids...but anyone who dare say its easy, its a breeze, its restful etc...is delusional :)

Glad you understand! I get comments like that on a daily basis from my FIL and friends..."how can you be so tired...you can just sit at home everyday and relax"...pfffft. Alison...I am sure you must have experienced something like this too.

• Like 2

Great post, thanks Allison! Can relate to many things you say.......not easy at times, but definately worth it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the lovely post. Such a wonderful reflection.

• Like 1

so sorry to hijack your thread Allison.

With the above in mind...... Special price for today only. Two very cute little boys going cheap. Must collect in Sydney. Paypal accepted. Will throw in all their paraphernalia too. Make me an offer. ~Desperate to sell in Sydney

Seriously Allison, glad you made is through the first year only slightly wounded. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 5

Great post, well done in getting through year one! Wait until you look back at the end of year two, you will simply marvel at how much further you have come.

At 4.5 years I still sometimes have a tear in the corner of my eye when I think of certain things, but I am such a different person to the person I was back then. Australia has definitely changed me (mostly for the better). The best thing are the times when I forget that I didn't grow up here and just think about my history as a single continuum without a continental shift - it makes me truely feel like I'm home.

• Like 1

Well done Allison - you've comes long way. And I agree about staying home with the kids. Sometimes They drive me up the walls especially as my husband is away a lot. Imagine me today taking my seven year old to the optometrist with my 18 month old in tow. My toddler grabbed some glasses, her sister helped her to put them on properly and when I tried to get them off her she ran out the store with the glasses on. When I eventually caught her she chucked them on the floor laughing ....

This is just a short clip of my day - the rest of it is much the same!! But yes, then I bake Pronutro biscuits for their lunch boxes and take my little monster to the park or play group and I realise that I actually really enjoy being home with them (sometimes!)

• Like 1

Always love reading your posts Allison - you really do have a gift for writing

• Like 1

I love the honesty of your posts Allison, and have also lived so much of what you say.

A year already, my word.

I like to think that we come out of this experience as more well rounded, tolerant, loving and giving people. More at ease with who we are and what we bring to our relationships.

Good luck with the job hunt, I'm sure through time you will find your own work identity here too.

• Like 1

You ladies really made me laugh with your reflections on stay at home parenting! I can so identify with wanting to sell my kids to a passing circus! I have come to the conclusion that the best thing for good parent child relationships is to miss each other a bit. I have found the experience of being at home with my three very difficult. I really take my hat off to people who can do it on the long term. I have been in cut throat meetings, handled difficult court dates but nothing ever prepared me for the brutality of shopping with three kids. Or doing a doctors visit or dental appointment. And of course when you arrive your support system is limited so wherever you go, the whole family goes along. It is a true test of sanity.

Thank you all for your kind comments. I can honestly say that this last year was the toughest thing I have ever done. As others have reflected it has left me changed. However change embraced can be a good thing and if I have learnt anything I have learnt to just embrace life and all the chaos. Immigration certainly teaches that there are things you just cant control.

I have reflected on this and if my first year was about putting down roots, my second year is about green leaves and blossoms. I am determined to make this a year of joy. I know that I am different from the person who got on that plane but I still know that I am by nature a joyous creative person. I just need to brighten up the colours a bit! As I often say to my girl friends there is nothing wrong with reflecting on how much strength is took for us to just pack up and move to Australia and celebrating that. We are tough stuff.

Edited by AllisonW
  • Like 4

my first year was about putting down roots, my second year is about green leaves and blossoms.

This is beautiful!

• Like 4

Thank you for your post... it has brought tears to my eyes. We are new to the forum and already have got so much wonderful advice and support here. Your post is one that I will save so that when I get to that point I can pull it out and know that the rollercoaster of emotion I am going to be feeling will be normal and that we will be ok!

All the best with the job hunt... keep us posted

• Like 2

Thank you Allison.

You are a very talented and I wish you many green leaves and blossoms ahead!

Please write again soon!

Alison, what a wonderful way to describe your life here, I am a tree hugger and find you description beautiful.

I always thought I knew myself - until the day I landed in this country did I discover that I had a lot to learn about me. I too have changed - and can feel I am living a more authentic life.

Sending you all the joy and pretty blossoms you deserve.

Please keep posting - you inspire me.

• Like 1