Trolley Trials

HadEnoughofJuju

So it's my turn to now comment on the trolleys and their strange but rather pleasant behaviour (well, I like them). At some stage in South Africa in the last ten years I went into a shopping centre somewhere in Johannesburg and had a trolley similar to what they have here where all four wheels can move in any direction. It happened once and I never ever saw them again and have been looking for them since, so you can imagine my excitement when I heard that those are the only kind of trolleys that Australian shops have. :lol::ilikeit:

My first experience of the 4 wheel drive trolleys was our first shopping expedition at Aldi in Maroochydore to buy food. I had a ball of a time, moving sideways between isles, at angles, from one side of the isle to the other without having to turn the nose of the trolley, instead just simply pushing it sideways. Admittedly the trolley was empty to begin with and I was like a 2 year old with a new truck that could do some really awesome manoeuvres. We also didn't buy much so the trolley remained easy to move around. My daughter was too excited about the new shopping experience to want to ride in the trolley which, as you will read later on, make a really big difference.

Not long after that we went to Sunshine Plaza in Maroochydore to do the Medicare thing and I decided to get a trolley and put my child in it just for fun so that I could see what that would do to the manoeuvrability and , let me tell you, it changes the ball game altogether. It makes it way more fun, especially when dad likes things that move fast. I was running down the side walk and eventually the corridors of the Sunshine Plaza and making the trolley go in every direction I possibly could. I did doughnuts with one hand, pushed the trolley backwards at an angel from one of the corners and made it spin while moving forward. My daughter was giggling her butt off and really enjoyed it. Cheapest roller coaster ride she will ever have. I might add at this point that Jessie was sitting in the chair where kids are meant to be, so the weight distribution was perfect for doing all these manoeuvres. That and people were looking at me really strangely. :whome:

The next shopping trip was a slightly different story. We bought more stuff and Jessie decided that she wanted to ride in the front of the trolley. This changes the dynamics of these trolleys' driving capabilities quite substantially. If the weight in the trolley is not evenly distributed, it starts growing a personality and is difficult to handle which makes the shopping experience even more fun. You can still move the trolley in any direction and from side to side with ease, but when it comes to cornering you have to be more awake. If you aren't expecting it the first time (like I wasn't) when you take the corner you expect the trolley to just go around the corner and into the next isle. Well it doesn't, it just keeps going straight as if there is nothing in it's way. I nearly took out a fellow shopper and had to profusely apologise for nearly killing them with my evil, demon possessed trolley.

Things I have discovered while testing the different trolleys at the different stores:

• All trolleys are equal except for the BigW (Just like Game where the staff's attitudes are terrible and the service is appalling) trolleys. They suck and are like Macro trolleys on steroids with minds and personalities of their own that go in all directions and don't obey any of the normal laws of physics or trolley driving.
  • Make sure you pack the weight in the trolley evenly unless you enjoy tug-of-war.
  • If you do have children, don't let them ride on the front of the trolleys. Firstly, it's frowned upon by the store employees and secondly it trashes the manoeuvrability of the trolley altogether.
  • They can spin in circles while moving forward. Kids seated in the correct position love his by the way.
  • You can change lanes without turning.
  • Cars should have wheels like trolleys because you can parallel park a trolley in seconds and at high speed.
  • You can't pull a trolley from the front like you do in South Africa, it just doesn't work.
  • Kids can't drive trolleys. I gathered that by the angry looks from fellow shoppers while my child was trying to navigate the store. It was really entertaining but didn't last long because she got way too frustrated.
  • At Coles, BigW, Woolworths, Bunnings and OfficeWorx you don't have to pay for the trolleys so the parking lots are littered with them and they pay people to gather up trolleys. Aldi is the only store that I have found so far that makes you scratch through your wallet for a $1 or $2 coin, walk back to the car to search the ash tray for suitable coins and, when you can't find a coin that fits, you either grab an empty box in the store (if they haven't already been grabbed up by other shoppers in the same coinless boat as you) to pack all your stuff in or if you are brave enough you balance everything you have just bought in one arm and have a blast trying to get the keys out of your pocket (which are always in the opposite pocket to the free hand) and open the car without dropping the eggs. You could also just buy an Aldi shopping bag but when you are still living on rands and not dollars it's difficult to spend unnecessary cash.
  • Shop weekly, a month's groceries are going to make you lose your mind while trying to drive that overloaded trolley.

Apart from the drawback of not being bale to move the trolley around easily when it is loaded, I LOVE THEM. I think all trolleys the world over should be built like this. Maybe then people would drive their cars better as well. Does give a plausible explanation for why drivers here are so patient. :jester:

• Like 3

:D Thanks for the info Batman :D

Happy to see you learnt fast.

But you sound dangerous - me thinks you need a licence !!

BTW Aldi have the little coins with their logo on that you can buy and use on their trolleys. Stops the searching for gold coins.

Happy shopping.

• Like 1

Although your spelling needs a bit of work (sorry, teacher in me speaking :blush-anim-cl: ) your writing is hilarious! Perhaps you should write a newspaper column or something on the side so we can buy our house quicker!

• Like 3

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :cry: I am literally crying of laughter!!!

"4 wheel drive trolleys" :ilikeit:

This reminds me of a friend of mine who is in a wheelchair...he once commented (when we were in Namibia on holiday) that he thought he needed diff-lock for his wheelchair on the sandy Namibian roads :P(Nevermind that I didn't know...and probably don't even really understand...what a diff-lock is: it was hilarious at the time!)

Fantastic post HEOJJ!! And one that we have all been waiting for!

LOL!! FINALLY the elusive trolley report I have been looking forward to. Really enjoyed this thorough report. You see, that is what makes this forum great, you have info on just about everything you can possible experience in Australia right at your fingertips!

Also, glad to see that you guys are doing so well and loving it. Can't wait to start our adventure too.

• Like 1

That was a very entertaining and informative read. I am now better prepared for Australian Trolleys :)

• Like 1

About the coins: Whether or not the trolleys need a coin to release them usually depends on how many bogans and losers live in proximity to the store rather than it being the Supermarket policy itself. In our old suburb, all supermarkets had coin operated trolleys because of the local moron population. I was pleasantly surprised to see that when we moved to a better area: no coins on any trolleys!! :)

Has your daughter seen the mini- trolleys for kids at Bunnings? Those are a winner with our kids every time.

Edited by HansaPlease
  • Like 1

I'm surprised no-one called the police becasue you were abusing the sprog ..... ;)

Anyway from the way you've been describing your driving, I start to see why Qld wants you to do a driving test ....... :P

• Like 2

I'm surprised no-one called the police becasue you were abusing the sprog ..... ;)

Anyway from the way you've been describing your driving, I start to see why Qld wants you to do a driving test ....... :P

Touché. I've always wanted to be a racing driver :)

• Like 1

Hmm, yes it was a lucky thing that the nanny brigade were on a teabreak, otherwise you could have received a dressing down regarding the danger you were putting your child in. We had that pleasure in Perth airport when we let our youngest sit on an airport trolley.<br /><br />I'm not sure that I subscribe to your even distribution theory. My trolleys are usually evenly packed with the heaviest stuff imaginable and they don't play ball. We have worked out that trolleys respond well to two drivers, one in the front leading the way and ensuring you don't kill the elderly and infirm as you go down the obligatory ramp outside the supermarket and the other holding the wild trolley back and preventing it from killing the lead operator. I do agree that children hanging off trolleys is just looking for trouble and will guarantee you taking out someone or alternatively cause you to bump into the aisles (not a good idea).<br /><br />On the coin issue, yes it really does depend on where you are as to whether you are going to have to scour your purse for a coin or not. It's incredibly frustrating when your local shop is free and easy with their trolleys and then you pop in somewhere where you don't usually go and suddenly you have to pay for the pleasure. I've gone running through a parking lot for an abandoned trolley on days when all I've had in my purse is my bankcard. Even worse is the cost of a trolley at airport departure halls and the fact that you don't get your coins back when you return the trolley - it makes you want abandon them in inconvenient places for the trolley collectors. However, it has caused us to re-examine our luggage on trips and ensure that we have enough wheels between us to avoid trolleys. Fortunately the kids are also now big enough to drag their own bag - when we first arrived and it was 4 big bags, 4 carry on bags, 2 small children and 2 exhausted adults it was no small feat to get everything off the carousel and into the taxi.

• Like 2

About the coins: Whether or not the trolleys need a coin to release them usually depends on how many bogans and losers live in proximity to the store rather than it being the Supermarket policy itself. In our old suburb, all supermarkets had coin operated trolleys because of the local moron population. I was pleasantly surprised to see that when we moved to a better area: no coins on any trolleys!! :)

Well that makes me feel much better. It means the area we live in is Boganless.

Has your daughter seen the mini- trolleys for kids at Bunnings? Those are a winner with our kids every time.

We were there the other day and I was secretly hoping that she didn't see them (which she thankfully didn't). :ph34r: Can you imagine the damage she could cause with one of those things? :unsure: She is crazier than I am. :P Although I guess Bunnings are doing a service to the community by training the future shoppers of Australia on how to manage those things from a young age. :ilikeit:

Well that makes me feel much better. It means the area we live in is Boganless.

Until about a month ago ..... :P

Your neighbours are probably bemoaning the sudden drop in house prices in the area. :(

Edited by OubaasDik
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

LOL. Enjoyed reading your post. Keep it coming.

• Like 1

:) I must admit I love playing with the trolleys sometimes pushing them from the side to time corners, and spinning the kids in circles :cowboy: Btw, Aldi sell a little keyring with a disc on it that fits into their coin slot so you're always prepared :)

Edited by Fish
  • Like 1